Absolutely a great SUV for the money
By sakinosh on
2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)
When I decided to buy a 4Runner, it was the '05 Sport that I wanted and it continues to impress. Found one used with 30k mi on it and now have 92k and it just keeps cruising. Reliable, great power, extremely comfortable seats that have held up perfectly and still to this day, no squeaks or rattles. I put on slightly larger tires than stock (only 1in), but gas mileage dipped. But a full time AWD V8 SUV isn't something somebody concerned w/ MPG should be looking for. If you want a truly reliable automobile that can tow, this is it. I change the oil/filters/fluids myself, and other than regularly scheduled maintenance, no issues. I avg only ~16mpg around town, but low 20's hwy. A great SUV
Favorite Features
Seats are very comfortable and the high quality cloth used has held up over time and also in the AZ heat where I lived for a few years. JBL sound system has great sound quality and even sounds great blasting down the highway with all 4 side windows + rear window + sunroof open. Full time 4x4 is actually nice when I tow my quad trailer to the sand dunes. I don't know why, but I like the fact that 1st gear will pull the car up a driveway when I just let off the brake. Styling is great - the hood scoop on the Sport Edition, albeit non-functional has always made this SUV look better than a standard 4Runner. Homelink / one touch windows / great headlight output / grey is the best color!
Suggested Improvements
Let's not kid ourselves, I'm writing a review of my '05 4Runner in 2013, anything I say here doesn't even apply. But missiles, Knight Rider turbo boost, an ejector seat, a "peace and quiet" partition window for rear passengers of the extremely young variety, a more potent V8 that runs on tap water and gets 2000 mpg and an exhaust that expels what makes dreams come true, also A/C vents that run when the car is off and keep it at the perfect temp based on my mood, an ATM machine with an endless supply of $100 bills that is both voice and mood activated, even by my friends and family, paint that dirt/dust/grime/bird poop cannot stick to, oh and it'll run forever. Yeah, that'll do. 2015 model?