Used 2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Good used choice
By Good used car choice

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Strong V6, smooth tranny, nice styling, feels solid and strong. Overall a very good vehicle purchased used with 30k but feels brand new. The roof rack is very sturdy as are the running boards. Braking performance is very good. Overall smooth, strong, quiet performance. Tows well and is very fun off road.

Convex mirrors in the back of the truck are a nice touch. Who needs a backup camara! Rides well for a body on frame with solid rear axle type vehicle.

Gear "picking" at marginal speeds. Needs more lit up controls at night. These are only minor annoyances.

So far so good
By Not too bad

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very nice ride with good handling, acceleration, comfort, smooth ride for body on frame solid rear axle vehicle. Won't let you forget its a truck, but that's what I bought it for. A little too much "gear picking" with v6 on steep grades. Engine has slight ticking sound (most Toyotas seem too, but disconcerting, probably timing chain instead of belt causes this) which is bothersome but engine runs fine. Have no real gripes, purchased the vehicle with just >30k miles and it feels like the brand new '07 model I test drove. I expect many more years out of this vehicle, although maintenance looks to be expensive. Wish v6 models had an external tranny cooler at least offered as an option.

Sliding rear glass, 4wd system, quietness, interior, versatility, sturdy roof rack.

Lots of complexity in electric systems for engine/trans. Poor fuel economy (those reviewers who get 24 mpg highway must be doing something I won't, like drive 50 mph!). Rear glass only goes down with fob remote.

Love it
By DJ

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought if for my wife... I have a Durango, but my next vehicle very well maybe a 4Runner!

Body style, handling and interior.

More cargo space.

Nice ride
By wally

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Exceptional vehicle, V8, good mileage and performance. comfortable, smooth, quiet.

V8.

Can not think of any except maybe a memory seat which I understand is now available.

A year driving it!!
By George

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I almost did not buy it! I drove a 4Runner years ago and I did not like it, but a car expert friend suggested me to drive the 2005 V8, WHAT A SURPRISE! I test drove the GX 470 Lexus first, The Toyota Limited is as good ride! This is an incredible SUV. Acceleration is amazing for a SUV. The ride is so confortable that sometimes I forgot I had an SUV. I bought it a year ago, driven more than 30,000 miles through the mountains and deserts of California, Utah, Nevada, Idaho, Colorado and Arizona, through , rain, ice and snow and this truck performes like a charm! I bought new Michelin tires last week, WOW EVEN BETTER RIDE! Service is great. Confortable for 5 passengers. Buy it.

Nice ride, comfortable seats on the limited, STRONG but smooth V8 engine. Gas is ok for a V8. GREAT service,

Third row with seats that fold underneath. An extra plug.