2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Great SUV - keeping for 10 years
By Bob on 11/08/05 19:44 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is a great SUV. Just test drive it and compare. It was this or the Pathfinder, and this was far more car for the $$. I plan on driving this for the next 10 years.

Best all around SUV in class
By Terry on 11/02/05 18:15 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I drove all the SUV's and this was the best overall choice. I own 2. A Limited and the SR 5 for my wife. The only drawback to the SR 5 is leather and a power seat should be an option in the SR 5 V-6.

Absolute Best Midsized SUV
By Bill on 10/06/05 15:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Toyota did what it consistently strives at... raising the bar for quality, reliability, performance, and style. The 4Runner, hands down, is the best SUV in the class. The ride and build quality show with inside and out. Compared to the so-called Big Three and it's overseas rivals, Toyota engineers and builders continue to drive over their competion with the best built components and workmanship. Trust me, I have driven just about every SUV out there and this 2005 4Runner will get you in and out of places the others tremble to think about. The VSC and braking system add to your confidence when driving. The gas mileage stands out with my average at 24 MPG highway. The ride is quiet and smooth.

Not the perfect SUV
By tom bracco on 09/17/05 18:18 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

While this was my 2nd 4Runner and vastly improved over the previous iteration I found it NOT TO BE WITHOUT PROBLEMS. The heater went down in the coldest time last winter and took two weeks for repair parts to be installed.An ongoing broken seal in the windshield reservoir had to be replaced 3 times and a recall for some other problem. The worst ongoing problem this car suffers from is if you drive with the sunroof and rear window open (the only way you can avoid severe wind buffeting) fumes from the exhaust enter the vehicle and it's disgusting to have to breath that in while you drive. Complaints to Toyota yielded no satisfaction. It's a REAL DESIGN FLAW that cannot be overcome!

Best Car I have ever Owned
By Boulder, CO on 09/15/05 17:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 4Runner drives like a sports car on the highway and perfoms like a Land Rover offroad. I have never felt a 4WD that takes washboard roads at 50 MPH without feeling a single vibration. I have taken it up super- steep rock hils in Moab, and driven it around the busy streets of Denver. It is extremely quiet and very solidly built.

No Regrets
By Scott C on 09/15/05 13:30 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Just traded in my 01 4Runner for the 05 4Runner. Had serious reservations about releasing my old 4Runner. I loved it but needed 4WD. I test drove the Pathfinder and Honda Pilot. Both were not as fun to drive as my old 4Runner. Since my wife has a Landcruiser, I didn't need the V8 4Runner but the price was less than V6 (with rebates and dealer incentives),so I bought the 05 4WD V8 instead. This SUV is better in every way compared to my old 4Runner. It has effortless power and super smooth ride. As with my old 4Runner, the steering and braking is so much better than competition. The drive train feels better than the Landcruiser as well. The 4WD V8 4Runner is essentially the Landcruiser Prado

Best Choice I have made in a vehicle!
By James H. on 09/13/05 23:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been a pickup truck buyer for a long time (20 years or more) and I decided this time to look into an SUV for myself and I fell in love with the looks of the 4runner. I didn't know until after I test drove and then bought this SUV how much I was going to love it! The performance, feel, muscular stance and appearance and quality of build is impressive. I will definitely buy another one if I ever decide to trade this (don't know when that will happen!).

Simply unbelievable SUV!
By SPD1136 on 09/13/05 03:43 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This thing is the best vehicle I have ever had, hands down. I have had it for only a little over a month now and I still look for any excuse to drive it. I am amazed how tightly built this vehicle is. I had an 01 Explorer Eddie Bauer before this and there is no comparison. Extremely quiet, incredible power, great features. I am a Toyota owner for life now.

Best I've ever owned
By Ron on 09/12/05 21:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Since I've purchased this vehicle, it continues to surprise me. It's fantastic in the woods and terrific on the highway. I've had three people ask me if they could buy it from me after they've ridden in it with me. I have never owned a better vehicle and all I've ever owned were four wheel drive trucks or SUV's. This is an absolute must if you want to get where you're going, no matter what type of weather or what type of road. It's the most dependable vehicle I ever owned...not one problem since I bought it. I absolutely cannot say enough about it - it's great. I travel for a living and it's a pleasure to go anyplace with this vehicle. Awesome!!!

Top tier vehicle
By tmkh on 09/02/05 17:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Strangely, I traded a 2002 F-350 diesel for the 2005 4Runner. We wanted a vehicle that both my wife and I could drive. The F-350 was too much for my wife. Although I really miss the diesel motor on my truck (and the camper), the 4.7 liter v-8 is very nice. It's enough to pull my 17" boat, and should be able to handle a small trailer. The fit and finish of the 4Runner is really top notch. I am amazed at how refined the interior is, especially compared to my Ford, which, with the Lariat trim, was no slouch. But the superior build quality of the Toyota is already apparent.