Used 2005 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Typical Toyota
By dave

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a typical Toyota, built rock solid with excellent reliability. I drive through out So Cal and this car is very comfortable on long commutes. I am 6-0 tall and have plenty of leg and head room. The ride is excellent. Very smooth on the road and around town. Gas mileage exceeds specs. I get 24+ (rated at 22 mpg) on the highway. I also find the optional 3rd row seat a very useful addition. I am very happy with this SUV.

Favorite Features

7 passenger seating, flawless V6 engine, comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

Fold flat 3rd row seat would be a great improvement.

Decent, but it's not perfect
By clifford

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The good: easy to drive around town, not bad on the road up to 300 miles or so, very sensitive to tire rotation as it is 4wd, decent rock crawling/off road capability, decent tow vehicle. The bad: windows rattle like an old Camaro when partially down, vibration at 1800 rpm, engine idles too high when cold, expensive maintenance in the future if you keep it 90-100K miles, timing belt and valve adjustment. Is this the very last vehicle to require a valve adjustment?? Window noise.

Favorite Features

V-8 power, smooth tranmission, good brakes.

Confirming what everyone is saying!
By brian

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well, I've waited about 5,000 miles to write this. I love the truck! The looks of the Sport Ed. is awesome. Love the 6-spoke rims! Smooth, solid, quiet ride. This thing handles excellent for an SUV and the steering feel is so tight! Brakes are good, V6 is pretty quick. Gas mileage has been about 19-20 MPG, but my last trip with 4 snowboards on the rack got me ~16 mpg. Only driven in a few inches of snow, but it handled good. Can't wait to get rid of the Dunlops tho. Best vehicle buying decision EVER!

Favorite Features

Auto A/C, cargo mirrors, headlights, rear window, rims, 4WD. My passengers say: "This thing is smooth!" and I've had about 5 people in 1.5 months say "the rear windows go all the way down!" They love it as much as I do.

Suggested Improvements

Front seats are kinda uncomfortable for long rides. I need it to be a little taller (I'm only 5'10") so that my thighs rest on the edge. Running boards get in the way, but I like the way they look.

User Unfriendly
By Ron

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We selected the 4Runner based on headroom, oh well, it fooled me. The driver's side is vertically adjustable and during the test drive it seemed to be just marginal. I'm not real big but at 6'1" after purchasing the vehicle for my wife I found that the passenger's seat is too restrictive to bring my head along for the ride unless the seat is reclined. With the unconventional layout of the controls as an occasional user I find myself stopping on the side of the road to find things. Fuel economy is marginal at best when the cost of premium is factored (didn't know that at time of purchase). It gets really bad when towing, at 8 mpg towing 4000 lbs that about 30% more expensive than my club cab 5.9L Ram.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling.

Suggested Improvements

Set the passenger's seat lower to accommodate most people. More torque for towing and better fuel economy. Design dash and other controls to be user friendly.

Not living up to the Toyota legend
By Ron

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This vehicle is not very user friendly. The dash and control layout take a lot to get used to. If it's a secondary vehicle you might feel like your driving a Rubik's cube. Limited head room combined with a passenger seat that doesn't adjust vertically, it leaves my head on the ceiling when I'm the passenger. Fuel economy is poor when you factor in the cost of premium gas.

Favorite Features

The 270 hp V-8 W/variable valve timing. No other impressive features.

Suggested Improvements

Design engine to use regular gas. More head room. I'm only 6'1" but that's too tall to be a passanger. Also put an enternal key lock on the passenger's side. It's frustrating to try to get into if you have a spare key W/O fob.