Used 2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Great vehicle
By TonyB

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My 4runner is perfect for what I need and that's the key. For the people who don't like the towing (marginal) of the 4runner or that it's too trucklike (it's built on a truck frame!) make sure you buy the vehicle for what you will use it for. Mine is great in the mountains, hauling 4 people with ski equipment, camping gear, bikes, etc. Phenomenal in the snow and mud and mountain passes, but still refined on flat surfaces. Much quieter than my 2000 4runner. Good size without feeling boatlike. Bulletproof reliability and resale value. This vehicle certainly covers the utility in SUV,with great body styling. Again, I wouldn't suggest for towing or grocery grabbing.

Amazing ride for an SUV. Toyota reliability and resale value. I have the Sport Edition in silver and I think its the best looking SUV on the road. Love the rugged looking hoodscoop. Very solid fit/finish. Great acceleration and quiet cabin. Tail gate latch 'pulls' closed on its own when lowered.

Lighs for window controls on door. How do you miss that? Many of the controls are not intuitive. I work with auto companies and most every vehicle out there has controls that are more "logical". Needs improving. Premium fuel is fine for a sports car/sedan, but not for an SUV or truck.

Great purchase
By cd1791

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned an 01 Pathfinder and was very happy with the car, but it was time to trade up. After reading as many reviews and going to as many sites as possible the only logical choice was a 4Runner. Well, after nearly two months of ownership I must say that I could not be happier. The 4Runner definitely has a better overall feel than my 01 Pathfinder and the 05 Pathfinder I looked at. The fit/finish is excellent. The material quality is high. It drives very well for a SUV (quite interior). Bumps on the road are absorbed like a sponge. I purchased the V8 and it is very quick. If you are looking into purchasing an SUV in this category the 4Runner requires serious consideration.

The driving experience and craftmanship.

Console layout could be more intuitive, and the standard stereo makes you want to run out to Best Buy, which I did.

Not up to par for Toyota
By AVERAGEJOE

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Not a better vehicle of this type and quality for the money. Good ride. Decent mileage (21 combined). Still I have come to expect flawless engineering and performance from Toyota. This 4Runner lacks the consistant fit finish and performance of my Toyotas past (and current). The speedomoter is -7 mph off. The temperature is very hard to stabilize. Wind noise from the moon roof. The transmission heats console which is always very warm. The dash vents constantly flow hot air. Sensor broke 300 miles after warranty $265.

Good power for a V6. Nice ride for a 4x4. Nice look for the dash and controls. Nice sound system. Overall a good vehicle. Time/temp/MPG/mileage/range displays.

A sport diesel would be great. A hybrid version would be great.

Love the 4Runner
By dan

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

2005 Limited 4wd 4Runner V8. I bought the 4Runner new and I have averaged about 17500 miles per year. The 4Runner has exceeded my expectations. From the snow and ice in D.C. to the beaches of Florida outstanding in every area. I have made a number of cross country trips and of course plenty of running around town with exceptional performance. This is my second 4Runner and i have found the improvements numerous. The exterior is eyecatching and clean, rugged yet sleek, not too big and not too small. The interior is vastly improved. Ergonomic controls, dual climate control, heated seats, roomy comfortable, quality leather seats, great sound system and nav system, backup camera. Highly recommend.

Love the power of the v8 and the navigation system, the back seat folds down to create a perfectly flat platform, sunroof, day lights, safety features, garage door opener, mpg computer, shelf in trunk area. Get it loaded because you will own this SUV for a very long time!

Some say it rides like a truck/suv. Guess what... it is a truck/suv. If you want a car Toyota also makes very fine automobiles. Improvements? Better gas mileage - I know, I bought the 8cyl. Would like to see all driver door controls (windows and locks) backlit. Access to the nav system while moving.

Mileage
By Donahue

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well built. My disappointment is with the fuel economy. The range I get has never been more than 380 miles @ an average of 17-18 miles/gl. I actually get higher mileage in town than on the highway. I can sometimes get up to 20 miles/gl in town, but never more than 18 on the highway.

Back up camera and rear side mirrors.