2005 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
05 SE 4WD V6 AT w/28k miles
By Greg on 05/10/06 03:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I own 3 Toyotas (00,05,06). This is my second 4Runner. I now have 28k miles. The V6 is plenty of power for all uses including towing my 2500# job trailer. I average 19.8 mpg combined Hwy/City. It handles nice, is silky smooth, but it is on a truck platform so after 150-200 miles you need to get out and walk. If you drive a lot of HWY miles you might consider a Highlander, Sequoia or even the Honda Pilot. I got the 4runner over the Pilot because of looks but sometimes I wonder about my decision after long trips. If you drive a lot of off road and local, the 4Runner is a great choice. I hope the brakes are as good as my 2000 4Runner as they have lasted 103k and still have 40% lining left!

First 4runner and loving it...
By jbrhymer on 04/19/06 09:20 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first 4runner. Was eyeing the Tacoma for years, but having 2 dogs plus hauling snowboarding gear all winter, I decided on the 4runner. No regrets. Dogs love the back, rear window is awesome, handles off road, snow, ice, mud with ease (I did swap out the Dunlops for better tires). Looking for a mid sized suv that handles well on road, handles great offroad, and won't leave you stranded on the side of the freeway? Get a 4runner.

4-Runner Sport 4wd V8
By Pat Mason on 03/29/06 13:40 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Vehicle is a pleasure to drive. 6,000 miles and not a problem one. Have gotten several compliments on what a sharp looking vehicle it is. Really like the looks & ride of the Sport Edition. Added a Yakima basket to the roof and really adds to storage capacity on longer trips. For a V8 I'm pleased with the mpg. I get between 17 & 20 on the highway depending on terrain & how loaded I am and about 16 to 17 in town. Shopped & researched a lot before purchasing and not disappointed with my selection. Would buy one again.

Nothing Better
By thesaucy1 on 02/27/06 19:19 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

So much quieter than my Jeep Grand Cherokee, much more solid feel too. The 4runner is a design that has proven itself year in and year out for a reason. It is more than capable off road (drive it on the beach every week) and has good manners on the road.

Excellent!
By Mike on 02/11/06 21:34 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I leased my runner in early 2005 and LOVE it. Great ride, stylish interior, good stereo, low noise.

Trucky But Family
By BMJ on 02/11/06 11:55 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife wanted a truck but not a practical purchase for a family vehicle. She liked her van so we needed something in the middle but not too big. This SUV is it, it is truck like, rides as such but that makes it fun to drive. Durable and sporty. Toyota really fine tunes this offering. If you like something with a truck feeel (and truck insurance rates!) this is a great vehicle so far.

I recommend strongly...
By charlie on 02/07/06 12:38 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I previously owned a 1995 sr5 4runner 2wd and recently purchased a 2005 4wd limited 4.0 v6 model and highly recommend it... it drives wonderful. It is very quiet and smooth. and I know it will pull my 19ft bass boat just fine, it has nice power and acceleration..very strong. I live in florida and know that the v6 4.0 will handle everything i need it too, if you do live in a mountainous state/town the v8 may be the way to go.

Excellent
By swhitts on 01/29/06 11:20 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Excellent choice - 4WD systems are excellent for snow and off-road. Comfort and driving dynamics continue to impress. Even after just short of 1yr ownership it still amazes me how competent and sure footed it drives. I've owned Jeep and Ford previously - there is no comparison. I ride in friends 05 Explorer and 05 G. Cherokee and now wonder what they were thinking...the 4 Runner is that great. As long as you are comfortable with the "odd" seating position and not getting cash on the hood like a domestic - you can't make a better choice for a mid-size SUV.

1ST 4 Runner Ever
By Parker 4 Runner on 01/23/06 14:29 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My SUV had 4 miles when purchased. I really enjoy sitting high and seeing the road. I can feel the solidness in the sterring, the brakes the turns and even on a wet day it feels safe in handling. As a female riding this well put together vechicle, I feel safe and secure and the V6 power is the greatest. Respect is the key word when driving, respect other drivers and respect the road, and this vehicle reputation brings all the respect back at it. I love it. I also have a 1996 camry that I would not trade for anything. Thank you Toyota or making a short size feel super sized.

4Runner a Champ
By PJayNY on 01/10/06 22:27 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the Limited 4WD new and have not had any problems. Pacific Blue is a great color, but discontinued in 2006. Seems to drink a lot gas but not much different from a V6 performance car and probably as good as most mid sized SUV's. 6 CD changer is obsolete since the advent of the Ipod. A $500 portable navigation system probably works as well as the $1900 optionally installed navigation.