Used 2005 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota 4runner - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Not up to par for Toyota
By AVERAGEJOE

2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Not a better vehicle of this type and quality for the money. Good ride. Decent mileage (21 combined). Still I have come to expect flawless engineering and performance from Toyota. This 4Runner lacks the consistant fit finish and performance of my Toyotas past (and current). The speedomoter is -7 mph off. The temperature is very hard to stabilize. Wind noise from the moon roof. The transmission heats console which is always very warm. The dash vents constantly flow hot air. Sensor broke 300 miles after warranty $265.

Favorite Features

Good power for a V6. Nice ride for a 4x4. Nice look for the dash and controls. Nice sound system. Overall a good vehicle. Time/temp/MPG/mileage/range displays.

Suggested Improvements

A sport diesel would be great. A hybrid version would be great.

Love the 4Runner
By dan

2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

2005 Limited 4wd 4Runner V8. I bought the 4Runner new and I have averaged about 17500 miles per year. The 4Runner has exceeded my expectations. From the snow and ice in D.C. to the beaches of Florida outstanding in every area. I have made a number of cross country trips and of course plenty of running around town with exceptional performance. This is my second 4Runner and i have found the improvements numerous. The exterior is eyecatching and clean, rugged yet sleek, not too big and not too small. The interior is vastly improved. Ergonomic controls, dual climate control, heated seats, roomy comfortable, quality leather seats, great sound system and nav system, backup camera. Highly recommend.

Favorite Features

Love the power of the v8 and the navigation system, the back seat folds down to create a perfectly flat platform, sunroof, day lights, safety features, garage door opener, mpg computer, shelf in trunk area. Get it loaded because you will own this SUV for a very long time!

Suggested Improvements

Some say it rides like a truck/suv. Guess what... it is a truck/suv. If you want a car Toyota also makes very fine automobiles. Improvements? Better gas mileage - I know, I bought the 8cyl. Would like to see all driver door controls (windows and locks) backlit. Access to the nav system while moving.

Mileage
By Donahue

2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well built. My disappointment is with the fuel economy. The range I get has never been more than 380 miles @ an average of 17-18 miles/gl. I actually get higher mileage in town than on the highway. I can sometimes get up to 20 miles/gl in town, but never more than 18 on the highway.

Favorite Features

Back up camera and rear side mirrors.

58,000 Miles Since I Bought New
By Greg

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second review on this rig. First one was at about 27,000 miles. This is my 5th Toyota (4th new Toyota and second 4Runner). I have had no problems at all (knocking on wood). These are bulletproof vehicles if you service them regularly. The maintenance cost is very reasonable. I have found the longer I own a Toyota the more I like it. This one is still very solid. I did not like the OEM tires (Grand Trek) so I replaced them at 27k with the top of the line Toyos (HWY tread)... what a difference! Like putting a new suspension on. I have been very pleased with the MPG (21.8). Actually get better city than hwy because I keep it under 20000 rpm in the city but have a lead foot on the hwy.

Favorite Features

Reliability, solid quality feel, sporty look, smooth tranny, quiet ride, it has a firm ride (since it is a true truck axle set up) but not bad for what it is. I like the remote window opener.. use it a lot for those things I forgot to put in or take out. No rattles, V6 has plenty of power! JBL sound.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the heater/ac controls. They work fine but even after 2 years they are confusing. I like the simple ones like on my Camry. Plenty of room (I am 6'2") but don't plan on driving far with the back seat down..it cramps the driver position for bigger people. I wish it had an iPod adapter.

Hype
By Ron

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife's 4Runner was showing a fault message so she took it to the dealer, the message has been removed but now the windows don't work. So much for the hype about Toyota Quality. The fuse panel is very low and doesn't have a fuse puller so back to the shop again, at least it's still under warranty. The layout of the acessories is awful, it's a safety issue to try to find things and drive. Pull off the road before selecting the defroster of looking for the cruise control. Fuel economy is really poor, under 9 mpg towing a lightweight trailer on flat ground. The 4.7L engine sure isn't up to the challenge.

Favorite Features

Outside styling.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel usage, lack of headroom and layout of controls.