2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Great SUV!
By Akent

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second 4Runner after driving my 1996 for 289,000 miles.The tanklike build is no longer there, so don't expect to be backing into trees and stuff without replacing either bumper.The ride is much improved, along with the cabin noise.The sunroof is a pain, since you either press the button to let it open the hatch all the way, or punch the button in short spurts to inch it back.The cup holders were redesigned into the console with adjustable grips and lighted for nighttime driving.The JBL Synthesis stereo is great.The fuel economy is 20- 21, which is similar to my 1996 model.But, I expect it will get better as it gets broken in. Interior needs XSP seats standard.

Favorite Features

Ride, JBL Synthesis Stereo, Quiet Ride, Power.

Suggested Improvements

XSP seats and more refined interior

Quality SUV with a great ride
By JLKent

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After one year of ownership I thought it good to provide a review. My 4Runner has been one of the best car purchases to date. After two cross country road trips my family loves this SUV. The ride and performance is exceptional given the size and weight - it drives like a vehicle half the size. V8 Power is awesome and provides excellent acceleration and power with reasonable MPG (18-20 MPG).

Favorite Features

Power, handling, comfort, good looks, low to no mainteance.

Suggested Improvements

backlighting on clock/radio/trip computer, lighting on window controls, new AC/heater controls, improved sound system --> all nit picky items.

My review of 2005 4 Runner with the V8
By Mark Savage

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We really like this vehicle overall; just wish gas had not gone up like it did, for we had a 4 cylinder camry prior and it obviously got better mileage; still, on the open road, I've seen the gas monitor go as high as 24 to 29 mpg when driven between 40 and 55mph. I'd guess we were getting about 16 to 20 average though. The power this SUV has is very surprising. A friend of ours has a V6 version and I rode with him and during hard acceleration, I could only tell a little difference in the V6 and V8, so the V6 will serve you well also. I'd highly recommend the 4Runner; I just wish I had the 4 wheel drive version for those rare times we get snow or ice in this part of NC.

Favorite Features

Our favorite features would be the auxillary 115 volt power outlet--should we ever need it and the power to pull about anything behind you with this 4.7 V8 they tell me toyota borrowed from their Lexus line of automobiles.

Suggested Improvements

Have all models provided with the lighted running boards-not just the Limited version; these vehichles cost too much to not have lights on the running boards; also, side curtain airbags should be standard, not optional

Car has had many repairs less than 5k mi
By david wood

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new 2005 4Runner 12/5 drove it home and the front-end alignment was off. Has rattle nose in front-end suspension (yet to be resolved), had car back to dealer three times. Fan belts made squealing nose. Dealer said they were glazed and replaced them at 2k mi. At 4k mi. serpentine belt made loud clicking nose. Dealer replaced, said it had a cracked belt. 7k mi. transmission makes a creaking noise when shifting between drive and reverse. Dealer said the noise is normal. When parked on a hill it gets worse and sounds like grinding a 5 speed (it is an automatic transmission). This is my second 4Runner the 2002 I traded was a great car. 85k mi. The power antenna motor went. Sorry I traded it in.

Favorite Features

Rides more like a car than SUV.

2005 SE 33000 miles of experience
By Ray

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been extremely happy with the V-8's performance capability. I get about 21 MPG overall per the onboard computer using regular. However, I have seen a slight drop since ethanol has been added to the local gasoline mixture. The only problem I have had was the dealer did not lower the spare tire's pressure to match the 32 lbs in the wheels on the ground. It took a while to figure this out.

Favorite Features

High driving position and excellent performance.

Suggested Improvements

Adjust the onboard computer to calculate and display real world gas mileage. There is NO way the 'extra mile' tire feature is going to last 100,000 miles even though I have had the tires rotated every 5,000 at the dealer. I doubt Toyota would replace them when they have 50,000 miles on them.

Best Car On The Road
By Cheryl Susdorf

2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I always wanted to own a 4Runner ever since they came out and now I have one. It's the best purchase I've ever made. It's more than comfortable and a rating of 10 is not high enough as far as I'm concerned. It's so easy to drive, rides well and looks great, what more could you ask for? I will never be without my 4Runner and when this one wears out, whenever that is, I'll buy another one. I have a muscle disease and it is easier for me to get in and out of than a regular "car", which is another plus. I can't think of one improvement I would make.

Favorite Features

Looks, the ride, comfort, as holds true with all of my Toyotas, easy to drive, and the configuration of the dash board, easy to reach everything. It has more than enough room to take things with you if you're going on a trip.

Suggested Improvements

NONE

05 4runner
By Mike

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great car, almost as fun to drive as the BMW 540 I had before this car. Very reliable, handles well, plenty of power out of the V6. 5 speed automatic transmission really sets this car apart.

Satisfied
By aroth

2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We've owned the '05 Toyota 4Runner for 7 months and have been quite impressed. We've owned other SUVs and this one is the smoothest and most comfortable to drive. Surprisingly, for a truck-based SUV, it drives similar to a car. We opted for the V6 to save money and it has plenty of power. Of course we don't tow anything with it and we've heard the V8 is better for towing. On long drives (of 5 hours) it is easy to find a comfortable seating position.

Favorite Features

Overall realiability and value as well as the heated seats.

Suggested Improvements

Memory for the electric seats, which is now available on '06 models, and increased head room. I'm 6 feet tall and don't have any problems, but I would think if you were 6' 2" or taller the head room could be an issue.

Great SUV
By Laura

2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the V8 Limited 4WD and I have not been disappointed, it drives like a dream not at all like the sled like suvs I have had in the past! The interior is plush and comfy and the controls are a bit confusing at first, but you catch on pretty quick I wish the power windows were a little higher up and more illuminated, also it needs rear cup holders that are not in seat beacuse if you have three in the rear no place for cups except the bottle holders in the door. Overall drive and ride is excellent!

Favorite Features

JBL Sound system, heated seats, comfort of ride and handling, also A/V plug is convenient.

Suggested Improvements

needs rear cup holders, perhaps intergrated in front console to fold out, also needs more electrical plug ins for cell phones, ipods, portable DVD players, ect.

Love It!!!
By Love my 4 runner

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

No regrets about buying this vehicle. I've had my 4 runner for almost a year now. The more I drive it, the more I love it. It runs, rides, and looks great. Gas mileage has been far better than I had anticipated. Great vehicle overall!

Favorite Features

Where to begin... 4wd, climate control, good looking wheels, automatic braking if it starts rolling backwards on a hill, the list goes on...

Suggested Improvements

Could use a little more headroom. Could not find an SR5 with side airbags.