2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews 3

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Great Vehicle
By Dan on 05/06/08 12:44 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second 4Runner and the first Sport Edition that I have purchased. Thus far I have been very impressed with the vehicle. I am getting between highway and city 21.6 mpg so fuel economy is slightly better than advertised. The ride is smooth and the room (I am 6'2") is more than sufficient. The SUV handles snow very well as I live outside of Boston and handled two 10" storms very smoothly. Visibility in the car is great as well. Satisfied buyer.

Good but needs more to compete
By 4dr limited 4wd suv on 05/01/08 11:55 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love the look of my 4Runner, she rides pretty good. It's a Limited so you'd think I would have a lot. On the contrary, no navigation system like other SUVs for that price, the interior lighting is lousy on the doors and it is hard to clear up the truck when it gets foggy, which happens a lot. No iPod hook-up or MP3 player, no bells and whistles so to speak, but I love the outside look.

Midwestern boat owner
By NorthernBoater on 03/19/08 17:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We have owned this vehicle while living in Minneapolis, MN and Memphis, TN. It performed well in both climates, but better in the south. It makes some funky noises when starting on cold Minnesota mornings. It seems fussy about the quality of gas you use, the idle is a bit rough occasionally. I assume this is from lower quality gasoline, but I don't know this for sure. We had no problem accelerating or stopping with a 2600 pound boat in tow. I recommend this for people looking at tow vehicles. I love opening all the windows and roof on nice summer days. Our sunroof just recently got stuck wide open - just in time for a snowstorm! No other maint. issues.

Great vehicle
By TonyB on 12/21/07 12:45 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My 4runner is perfect for what I need and that's the key. For the people who don't like the towing (marginal) of the 4runner or that it's too trucklike (it's built on a truck frame!) make sure you buy the vehicle for what you will use it for. Mine is great in the mountains, hauling 4 people with ski equipment, camping gear, bikes, etc. Phenomenal in the snow and mud and mountain passes, but still refined on flat surfaces. Much quieter than my 2000 4runner. Good size without feeling boatlike. Bulletproof reliability and resale value. This vehicle certainly covers the utility in SUV,with great body styling. Again, I wouldn't suggest for towing or grocery grabbing.

Great purchase
By cd1791 on 11/21/07 05:55 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned an 01 Pathfinder and was very happy with the car, but it was time to trade up. After reading as many reviews and going to as many sites as possible the only logical choice was a 4Runner. Well, after nearly two months of ownership I must say that I could not be happier. The 4Runner definitely has a better overall feel than my 01 Pathfinder and the 05 Pathfinder I looked at. The fit/finish is excellent. The material quality is high. It drives very well for a SUV (quite interior). Bumps on the road are absorbed like a sponge. I purchased the V8 and it is very quick. If you are looking into purchasing an SUV in this category the 4Runner requires serious consideration.

Not up to par for Toyota
By AVERAGEJOE on 11/09/07 04:43 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Not a better vehicle of this type and quality for the money. Good ride. Decent mileage (21 combined). Still I have come to expect flawless engineering and performance from Toyota. This 4Runner lacks the consistant fit finish and performance of my Toyotas past (and current). The speedomoter is -7 mph off. The temperature is very hard to stabilize. Wind noise from the moon roof. The transmission heats console which is always very warm. The dash vents constantly flow hot air. Sensor broke 300 miles after warranty $265.

Love the 4Runner
By dan on 10/03/07 21:47 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

2005 Limited 4wd 4Runner V8. I bought the 4Runner new and I have averaged about 17500 miles per year. The 4Runner has exceeded my expectations. From the snow and ice in D.C. to the beaches of Florida outstanding in every area. I have made a number of cross country trips and of course plenty of running around town with exceptional performance. This is my second 4Runner and i have found the improvements numerous. The exterior is eyecatching and clean, rugged yet sleek, not too big and not too small. The interior is vastly improved. Ergonomic controls, dual climate control, heated seats, roomy comfortable, quality leather seats, great sound system and nav system, backup camera. Highly recommend.

Mileage
By Donahue on 09/04/07 13:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Well built. My disappointment is with the fuel economy. The range I get has never been more than 380 miles @ an average of 17-18 miles/gl. I actually get higher mileage in town than on the highway. I can sometimes get up to 20 miles/gl in town, but never more than 18 on the highway.

58,000 Miles Since I Bought New
By Greg on 08/25/07 06:50 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second review on this rig. First one was at about 27,000 miles. This is my 5th Toyota (4th new Toyota and second 4Runner). I have had no problems at all (knocking on wood). These are bulletproof vehicles if you service them regularly. The maintenance cost is very reasonable. I have found the longer I own a Toyota the more I like it. This one is still very solid. I did not like the OEM tires (Grand Trek) so I replaced them at 27k with the top of the line Toyos (HWY tread)... what a difference! Like putting a new suspension on. I have been very pleased with the MPG (21.8). Actually get better city than hwy because I keep it under 20000 rpm in the city but have a lead foot on the hwy.

Hype
By Ron on 04/29/07 13:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife's 4Runner was showing a fault message so she took it to the dealer, the message has been removed but now the windows don't work. So much for the hype about Toyota Quality. The fuse panel is very low and doesn't have a fuse puller so back to the shop again, at least it's still under warranty. The layout of the acessories is awful, it's a safety issue to try to find things and drive. Pull off the road before selecting the defroster of looking for the cruise control. Fuel economy is really poor, under 9 mpg towing a lightweight trailer on flat ground. The 4.7L engine sure isn't up to the challenge.