Used 2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Everything you expected from Toyota
By Brian

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Feel great about my purchase. Drives 'solid' feels 'solid'. I had a ford explorer before and the 4runner blows it away in comfort, stability and performance. I wanted the limited for the navigation and leather but opted for the sport and put in after factory leather which was definitly the way to go. Most dealers work with leather installation companies. I will also put in an after market DVD navigation system from pioneer which has voice command. All told I saved about 5k and pretty much got a limited with the more agressive look the hood scoop on the sport provides. The dog in the back loves the window that goes down. Most important, my fiance says that I look 'hot' in the truck. :)

Favorite Features

V8, black leather with white stitching (after factory). Toyota reliability, acceleration, 'feel'. Peace of mind after purchase. Knowing I can go anywhere with it.

Suggested Improvements

better factory tires. better gas millage, available leather and nav in all models.

As Good as it possibly gets...!!!
By UknowU want1

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had 3 jeeps previously & found them to be quite capable. However after some treks to "Big Sky" country, in severe weather, & pulling a trailer, I can say hands down NOTHING rides this smooth, is THIS capable, while being THIS much fun to drive ! When I go a long distance it is only upon egress one realizes that "Hey, I'm in a 'truck'... who knew ! Get all the bells & whistles though, the headrest DVD's are a crowd pleaser, with the 110v outlet & a playstation 2 it's also a VERY quiet ride... sans all of the "Are we there yet's?"

Favorite Features

Tow ready hook up. T-rectifier for 110v outlet very handy. OUTSTANDING handling, & off road/bad weather sure- footedness equals mountain-goat capability, with luxury car ride... EXCELLENT !

Suggested Improvements

I guess it goes without saying that we will always gripe about gas mileage.. (although I average about 18-19 mpg in town! & about 23ish on the open steppe)

4 Runner
By Frank Trask

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My experience with the 4 Runner is much better than I expected and being my 7th Toyota product I do expect a lot. I had the Dealer install Michelins as from previous experience the Dunlops don't make it. Ride and handling is excellent for this type of vehicle. Fuel mileage so far 19 mpg+.

Favorite Features

Sport suspension, 4.7 v8, 5 speed auto, part time/full time 4wd.

Suggested Improvements

Only two recommendations. 1. Instrument panel should have a full set of gauges, a must have. 2. Two more inches in interior width would enhance comfort.

Exceeds My Expectations
By Chas

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

After an exhaustive SUV search I finally purchased a Sport V8 with sunroof, DD cargo liner, leather, spoiler and JBL system. I am most surprised at the vehicle ride quality. The XREAS suspension is a must have. It delivers about the same ride quality without the body-roll. My other vehicle is a BMW and this 4Runner is equally as fun to corner. I liked the pathfinder, but the fit and finish put the 4Runner over the top (too many rough-edged plastic materials in the pathy). The V8 is powerful as expected (it's an ANIMAL), but also gives the truck a solid, heavier (in a good way), silky smooth acceleration.

Favorite Features

Incredible acceleration with V8 while cornering with XREAS sport suspension is a thrill. Engine doesn't sound stressed (you know the loud VVVOOOOMMM!) like a Tahoe or Expedition. Gas mileage is not too bad for the first fill -up. I got 17.1 in some of the worst stop-and-go traffic in the nation.

Suggested Improvements

JBL is a yawner - better to go aftermarket. Nothing like the Monsoon stereos I've heard. Bass is loose and stereo effect is non-existant. This thing would be the complete ANIMAL with a Monsoon system.

Totally would do again!
By Jenn L

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first 4Runner and first SUV. After 6 months of researching many consumer websites about this SUV, I am totally satified with my purchase. Its fun to drive and more comfortable than most SUVs its size. The standard V6 engine is more than adequate for speed and power when you need it. Of course the Toyota 4Runners are quite "pricey", however, it is true what they say: "You get what you pay for!" I would totally do it all over again! :)

Favorite Features

Quite ride, steering wheel controls, automatic rear door latch, the power of the V6 with the "better" gas mileage than other SUVs. I LOVE DRIVING IT!

Suggested Improvements

Upgraded stereo like the Scion and more leg room with the third-row seating option.