Used 2005 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 244 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Proven, Capable, SUV
By onthe4frnt

2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this used with 89,000 miles from a friend who took very good care of the vehicle.
Can't be happier with my new purchase, extremely reliable, no rattles or squeaks.
Gas mileage is the only sticking point, but was expected when purchasing the vehicle.
Surprisingly, I'm getting better gas mileage than what I expected.
The trip computer on the car states 21.9 - 22 MPG, but calculating the mileage by hand is about 19 - 20.5 mpg.
That's with 50/50 city/hwy driving.
Navigation is decent, slightly cumbersome system, not as easy as Garmin.
Leather is like-new and heat seaters are amazing!

Leather, navigation, sunroof, stock sound w/navigation, gas mileage (considering the vehicle), 4X4 capabilities, seat heaters.

For a car built in 2005 as a "Limited" model with most all the bells and whistles, I'm surprised to find a lack of audio jack for the navigation system, bluetooth, or XM radio. Currently, trying to find the best method to play my iPhone/iPod through the sound system without being an FM transmitter.

Absolutely a great SUV for the money
By sakinosh

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

When I decided to buy a 4Runner, it was the '05 Sport that I wanted and it continues to impress. Found one used with 30k mi on it and now have 92k and it just keeps cruising. Reliable, great power, extremely comfortable seats that have held up perfectly and still to this day, no squeaks or rattles. I put on slightly larger tires than stock (only 1in), but gas mileage dipped.
But a full time AWD V8 SUV isn't something somebody concerned w/ MPG should be looking for. If you want a truly reliable automobile that can tow, this is it. I change the oil/filters/fluids myself, and other than regularly scheduled maintenance, no issues.
I avg only ~16mpg around town, but low 20's hwy.
A great SUV

Seats are very comfortable and the high quality cloth used has held up over time and also in the AZ heat where I lived for a few years. JBL sound system has great sound quality and even sounds great blasting down the highway with all 4 side windows + rear window + sunroof open. Full time 4x4 is actually nice when I tow my quad trailer to the sand dunes. I don't know why, but I like the fact that 1st gear will pull the car up a driveway when I just let off the brake. Styling is great - the hood scoop on the Sport Edition, albeit non-functional has always made this SUV look better than a standard 4Runner. Homelink / one touch windows / great headlight output / grey is the best color!

Let's not kid ourselves, I'm writing a review of my '05 4Runner in 2013, anything I say here doesn't even apply. But missiles, Knight Rider turbo boost, an ejector seat, a "peace and quiet" partition window for rear passengers of the extremely young variety, a more potent V8 that runs on tap water and gets 2000 mpg and an exhaust that expels what makes dreams come true, also A/C vents that run when the car is off and keep it at the perfect temp based on my mood, an ATM machine with an endless supply of $100 bills that is both voice and mood activated, even by my friends and family, paint that dirt/dust/grime/bird poop cannot stick to, oh and it'll run forever. Yeah, that'll do. 2015 model?

Best SUV you can buy.
By dominic16

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Best SUV, really dependable, the V8 is were its at. Since its a toyota.... you won't need to replace alot of things till 200,000 miles.

The fact that you can basically overtake any other SUV or truck.

Nothing really, the early models has defective dash's, so they tend to crack alot

200k and more
By flyfsca

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm coming up on 200k on my very first and only factory set of brakes. I love this 4x4 as this is my 8th 4 Runner in a row I've owned. I'm now looking in to towing a travel trailer so I'm following some other blogs recommendation not to exceed 5600 lbs total vehicle and trailer weight. So we will see what size trailer will max. I'm figuring dry wt no more than 3000 lbs. I'm shooting at 400k for this 2005 4 Runner. My plate is my id on this blog. Feel free to stop and chat.

Overall reliability in all driving conditions. General economy is 19-23 mpg reliably.

Better sound system.

Excellent SUV
By dwmiller25

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This has been my wife's vehicle for 5 years and now with 107k on the clock, we have done nothing to the vehicle except regular maintenance and one battery change out. This car is a fantastic family SUV. The car has plenty of power, a very smooth transmission and all out feel of a well made automobile. Hopefully we will have it for another 100k miles!