Used 2005 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Best SUV you can buy.
By dominic16

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Best SUV, really dependable, the V8 is were its at. Since its a toyota.... you won't need to replace alot of things till 200,000 miles.

The fact that you can basically overtake any other SUV or truck.

Nothing really, the early models has defective dash's, so they tend to crack alot

200k and more
By flyfsca

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm coming up on 200k on my very first and only factory set of brakes. I love this 4x4 as this is my 8th 4 Runner in a row I've owned. I'm now looking in to towing a travel trailer so I'm following some other blogs recommendation not to exceed 5600 lbs total vehicle and trailer weight. So we will see what size trailer will max. I'm figuring dry wt no more than 3000 lbs. I'm shooting at 400k for this 2005 4 Runner. My plate is my id on this blog. Feel free to stop and chat.

Overall reliability in all driving conditions. General economy is 19-23 mpg reliably.

Better sound system.

Excellent SUV
By dwmiller25

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This has been my wife's vehicle for 5 years and now with 107k on the clock, we have done nothing to the vehicle except regular maintenance and one battery change out. This car is a fantastic family SUV. The car has plenty of power, a very smooth transmission and all out feel of a well made automobile. Hopefully we will have it for another 100k miles!

Rock Solid Performer & a Keeper!
By RB & PB

2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Between my wife and I, we have owned many vehicles. If we had to pick "one" to live with from the many...this would be it. Not flashy (frame/ladder design versus newer design) - don't hear much about it in the media and the limited version is a little pricey. However, this is a safe (full compliment of airbags), reliable, go anywhere, do anything (towing, off road or a wedding), solid performer. We plan on owning this one for a long time - and we can because of reliability. We have had no issues besides routine maintenance (brakes, battery, timing belt change). Sad that Toyota no longer offers this rig w/a V8. Will have to look at the Lexus variant when its time to purchase in the future.

V8 power! Rear view camera, heated seats (for the wife), navigation and as smooth as most car-like SUV on hwy.

Not much...maybe cooled seats (will go to the Lexus for that though), more efficient V8 (more HP to match torque w/ mpg), bluetooth/aux input.

4 runner again!
By sold.

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my 05 4runner. I'm looking to purchase a new one. Hoping the 2010 models are built as well as 2005. Only problem I had with 2005 was the moonroof quit around 58,000 miles, costs $2000 to repair, but just had them permanently close it. I will still buy one with moonroof--love the lighting. New brakes installed with 90K miles, new tires at 78K miles. NO issues whatsoever with this vehicle.

moonroof; body style; durability

Extra plugs. Little more headroom. My husband wears a ballcap. 6' head touches ceiling.