05 SE 4WD V6 AT w/28k miles
By Greg on
2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
I own 3 Toyotas (00,05,06). This is my second 4Runner. I now have 28k miles. The V6 is plenty of power for all uses including towing my 2500# job trailer. I average 19.8 mpg combined Hwy/City. It handles nice, is silky smooth, but it is on a truck platform so after 150-200 miles you need to get out and walk. If you drive a lot of HWY miles you might consider a Highlander, Sequoia or even the Honda Pilot. I got the 4runner over the Pilot because of looks but sometimes I wonder about my decision after long trips. If you drive a lot of off road and local, the 4Runner is a great choice. I hope the brakes are as good as my 2000 4Runner as they have lasted 103k and still have 40% lining left!
Favorite Features
JBL sound, interior styling, no mechanical issues at all yet, fun to drive, remote window, solid quality feel on/off road. The MPG computer is handy. Power for V6 is impressive even in the mountains. Ground clearance keeps it clean and avoids damage. Perfect size for me 6'2" 210lbs.
Suggested Improvements
Dual platform in back is waste of money.I never use it, I do not like the confusing heater/AC controls - make them simpler like the Camry. Add an MP3 adapter. Correct the dirt swirls that build up on the hood behind the bug deflector. More room to fold the rear seats down without moving front seats.