Used 2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

67,000 mile review
By t h a m

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

After driving 4.5 years I figured I would write another review w/ reliability notes. Following service manual to a T and everything is running fine other than my sunroof which broke wide open at 55k mi with a $2400 replacement bill that I did not fix (just got it closed). Computer read out says I'm averaging 20.3 mpg but it's 10% off so actual is 18 mpg - reasonable for a body on frame SUV. Replaced tires at 40k from dealer oem's to Mich Cross Terrains - nice improvement. At 6'3", head and leg room are just adequate. 2 prong outlet is great, but only 1 12v is not. Front passenger space is small - friends ride knees up at 6'1". Good truck overall and would recommend to friends/family.

Favorite Features

'Yota's ability to have a body on frame, live rear axle, truck style SUV that gives toughness and offroad ability while still delivering a smooth and quiet ride with acceptable mpg. Excellent reliability reviews are why I purchased it, and so far the reviews were correct. No major mechan. issues.

Suggested Improvements

High floor and low roof equals short interior space, broken sunroof under normal operation, tranny revs like it's in neutral on occasion (diagnosis said nothing wrong), stank exhaust odor with rear window down, "nose to the ground" factory look - had to add a front spacer to level out vehicle.

Best Buy Ever
By 4Runner man

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 4runner Limited 2wd certified vech, I have had this vech for six months, the more I drive it the more I like it. My Limited came with all the features, JBL sound system, Nav system, rear camera, driver and passenger air bags, sunroof, night time rear view mirror, compast, 17 inch rims, running (lit) boards. The ride is smooth and swift, runs on regular unleaded, gets 18mpg in the city and 24 on the hwy. I have put six thousands trouble free miles on this vech, maints is low change the oil and drive, I live in the land of Cars Los Angeles, You name it we drive it and still prefer my 4runner Limited because it fits in every where from Beverly Hills to beaches of Malibu.

Favorite Features

Nav system, sound system, back up camera, heated seats

Suggested Improvements

none

Love'n it
By 4Runner man

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I traded my 2000 4runner limited for the 2005 2WD Limited I have to say this vehicle is by far the best vehicle I have owned, a nav system, 10 speaker sound system, leather heated seats, a back up camera, power moon roof 17 mpg city 23 hwy, and a ride that is excellent. 245 hp, a tow package (5000 lbs) well you get the picture, love everything about my 4runner. Oh it comes with 4 different airbags. Plan on keep it for a long time. Oh yeah it runs on regular unleaded fuel, yahoo!!!

Favorite Features

The nav system, sound system, mpg, ride.

Suggested Improvements

MP3 hook-up

Bought the 5 yr 100 mile warranty
By val

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like to keep my cars the life of the warranty or the years I buy whichever comes first. This car is a jewel and I love driving it. Compares well with my sister's Lexus SUV for performance. Wasn't cheap, I bought everything I could to enhance my enjoyment but I'm using the frills and loving my ride and the perks. This is a car that will way outlast my warranty and the years ...

Favorite Features

Love the ride, the quiet of the engine, the seperate driver and passenger hot and cold temps, the heated and air conditioned seats, and so much more .. this is a great car

Suggested Improvements

not for me!

Priced right!
By Ed

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been waiting to purchase a 4runner for quite some time. I enjoy not only driving it but also giving it a good wash and wax job.

Favorite Features

Has a powerful 6 cylinder that does a good job in the city and on the highway with a 5 speed automatic transmission. Comfortable seats that can be adjusted. Rear window rolls down with remote. 23 gallon fuel tank.

Suggested Improvements

Better tires, these are just adequate. Extend the warranty to 5 years 50,000 miles. I like everything else.