2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Sort Reviews by

Just bought one
By 4runner8762

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought in mid 2014, a 2005 Toyota 4runner v6 Sport edition. It had 67k miles on it and 2-3 previous owners. I absolutely love it. the biggest catch for me buying it was the mpg, as my previous car was a civic. in all honesty it gets decent mpg, my city is 18, and highway is an easy 24. just don't drive like an idiot and mpg's aren't too bad at all. the layout is great, super practical and simple. the back is big enough to sleep two and have room for gear. the engine is plenty powerful enough, although i can imagine a v8 being a bit stronger off the line. when i bought it I had to replace the alternator, and i did a 'seafoam' flush of the oil and gas. great machine, buy it!

Favorite Features

the backseats folding down. plenty of room. the layout of the drivers seat and controls.

Suggested Improvements

I want a 4runner that's manual and Diesel!

Proven, Capable, SUV
By onthe4frnt

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this used with 89,000 miles from a friend who took very good care of the vehicle. Can't be happier with my new purchase, extremely reliable, no rattles or squeaks. Gas mileage is the only sticking point, but was expected when purchasing the vehicle. Surprisingly, I'm getting better gas mileage than what I expected. The trip computer on the car states 21.9 - 22 MPG, but calculating the mileage by hand is about 19 - 20.5 mpg. That's with 50/50 city/hwy driving. Navigation is decent, slightly cumbersome system, not as easy as Garmin. Leather is like-new and heat seaters are amazing!

Favorite Features

Leather, navigation, sunroof, stock sound w/navigation, gas mileage (considering the vehicle), 4X4 capabilities, seat heaters.

Suggested Improvements

For a car built in 2005 as a "Limited" model with most all the bells and whistles, I'm surprised to find a lack of audio jack for the navigation system, bluetooth, or XM radio. Currently, trying to find the best method to play my iPhone/iPod through the sound system without being an FM transmitter.

Absolutely a great SUV for the money
By sakinosh

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

When I decided to buy a 4Runner, it was the '05 Sport that I wanted and it continues to impress. Found one used with 30k mi on it and now have 92k and it just keeps cruising. Reliable, great power, extremely comfortable seats that have held up perfectly and still to this day, no squeaks or rattles. I put on slightly larger tires than stock (only 1in), but gas mileage dipped. But a full time AWD V8 SUV isn't something somebody concerned w/ MPG should be looking for. If you want a truly reliable automobile that can tow, this is it. I change the oil/filters/fluids myself, and other than regularly scheduled maintenance, no issues. I avg only ~16mpg around town, but low 20's hwy. A great SUV

Favorite Features

Seats are very comfortable and the high quality cloth used has held up over time and also in the AZ heat where I lived for a few years. JBL sound system has great sound quality and even sounds great blasting down the highway with all 4 side windows + rear window + sunroof open. Full time 4x4 is actually nice when I tow my quad trailer to the sand dunes. I don't know why, but I like the fact that 1st gear will pull the car up a driveway when I just let off the brake. Styling is great - the hood scoop on the Sport Edition, albeit non-functional has always made this SUV look better than a standard 4Runner. Homelink / one touch windows / great headlight output / grey is the best color!

Suggested Improvements

Let's not kid ourselves, I'm writing a review of my '05 4Runner in 2013, anything I say here doesn't even apply. But missiles, Knight Rider turbo boost, an ejector seat, a "peace and quiet" partition window for rear passengers of the extremely young variety, a more potent V8 that runs on tap water and gets 2000 mpg and an exhaust that expels what makes dreams come true, also A/C vents that run when the car is off and keep it at the perfect temp based on my mood, an ATM machine with an endless supply of $100 bills that is both voice and mood activated, even by my friends and family, paint that dirt/dust/grime/bird poop cannot stick to, oh and it'll run forever. Yeah, that'll do. 2015 model?

Best SUV you can buy.
By dominic16

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Best SUV, really dependable, the V8 is were its at. Since its a toyota.... you won't need to replace alot of things till 200,000 miles.

Favorite Features

The fact that you can basically overtake any other SUV or truck.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing really, the early models has defective dash's, so they tend to crack alot

200k and more
By flyfsca

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm coming up on 200k on my very first and only factory set of brakes. I love this 4x4 as this is my 8th 4 Runner in a row I've owned. I'm now looking in to towing a travel trailer so I'm following some other blogs recommendation not to exceed 5600 lbs total vehicle and trailer weight. So we will see what size trailer will max. I'm figuring dry wt no more than 3000 lbs. I'm shooting at 400k for this 2005 4 Runner. My plate is my id on this blog. Feel free to stop and chat.

Favorite Features

Overall reliability in all driving conditions. General economy is 19-23 mpg reliably.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound system.

Excellent SUV
By dwmiller25

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This has been my wife's vehicle for 5 years and now with 107k on the clock, we have done nothing to the vehicle except regular maintenance and one battery change out. This car is a fantastic family SUV. The car has plenty of power, a very smooth transmission and all out feel of a well made automobile. Hopefully we will have it for another 100k miles!

Rock Solid Performer & a Keeper!
By RB & PB

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Between my wife and I, we have owned many vehicles. If we had to pick "one" to live with from the many...this would be it. Not flashy (frame/ladder design versus newer design) - don't hear much about it in the media and the limited version is a little pricey. However, this is a safe (full compliment of airbags), reliable, go anywhere, do anything (towing, off road or a wedding), solid performer. We plan on owning this one for a long time - and we can because of reliability. We have had no issues besides routine maintenance (brakes, battery, timing belt change). Sad that Toyota no longer offers this rig w/a V8. Will have to look at the Lexus variant when its time to purchase in the future.

Favorite Features

V8 power! Rear view camera, heated seats (for the wife), navigation and as smooth as most car-like SUV on hwy.

Suggested Improvements

Not much...maybe cooled seats (will go to the Lexus for that though), more efficient V8 (more HP to match torque w/ mpg), bluetooth/aux input.

4 runner again!
By sold.

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my 05 4runner. I'm looking to purchase a new one. Hoping the 2010 models are built as well as 2005. Only problem I had with 2005 was the moonroof quit around 58,000 miles, costs $2000 to repair, but just had them permanently close it. I will still buy one with moonroof--love the lighting. New brakes installed with 90K miles, new tires at 78K miles. NO issues whatsoever with this vehicle.

Favorite Features

moonroof; body style; durability

Suggested Improvements

Extra plugs. Little more headroom. My husband wears a ballcap. 6' head touches ceiling.

Love My Toyota SUV!
By Regina

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Toyota, and I have loved each one. But, this is my favorite. In this SUV, you sit up high giving you greater visibility. It has versatility because it allows you to transport many things with the back seat down. It has great features. It's a quality vehicle. It's fun to drive!

Favorite Features

My favorite interior features are the rear view camera, navigation system, and JBL audio system. Overall, the main reason I bought this vehicle is because I know it is a quality vehicle that is reliable and inexpensive to maintain!

Suggested Improvements

I don't have any suggestions for improvements. I love it just the way it is!

Life is Good! Thanks Toyota!
By Dean

2005 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 4Runner as a CPO a few years ago, the first CPO I have ever purchased. It has been superb! 19- 20 MPG in the city and about 23-24 MPG on the highway, marvelous comfort, great stopping power, very low cost of maintenance.

Favorite Features

Moonroof and superb ride and handling.

Suggested Improvements

About 1" more of legroom for the driver. Also 1 extra 12 volt outlet in the console.