Used 2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Just bought one
By 4runner8762

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought in mid 2014, a 2005 Toyota 4runner v6 Sport edition. It had 67k miles on it and 2-3 previous owners. I absolutely love it. the biggest catch for me buying it was the mpg, as my previous car was a civic. in all honesty it gets decent mpg, my city is 18, and highway is an easy 24. just don't drive like an idiot and mpg's aren't too bad at all. the layout is great, super practical and simple. the back is big enough to sleep two and have room for gear. the engine is plenty powerful enough, although i can imagine a v8 being a bit stronger off the line. when i bought it I had to replace the alternator, and i did a 'seafoam' flush of the oil and gas. great machine, buy it!

the backseats folding down. plenty of room. the layout of the drivers seat and controls.

I want a 4runner that's manual and Diesel!

Great purchase
By cd1791

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned an 01 Pathfinder and was very happy with the car, but it was time to trade up. After reading as many reviews and going to as many sites as possible the only logical choice was a 4Runner. Well, after nearly two months of ownership I must say that I could not be happier. The 4Runner definitely has a better overall feel than my 01 Pathfinder and the 05 Pathfinder I looked at. The fit/finish is excellent. The material quality is high. It drives very well for a SUV (quite interior). Bumps on the road are absorbed like a sponge. I purchased the V8 and it is very quick. If you are looking into purchasing an SUV in this category the 4Runner requires serious consideration.

The driving experience and craftmanship.

Console layout could be more intuitive, and the standard stereo makes you want to run out to Best Buy, which I did.

2005 SE 33000 miles of experience
By Ray

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been extremely happy with the V-8's performance capability. I get about 21 MPG overall per the onboard computer using regular. However, I have seen a slight drop since ethanol has been added to the local gasoline mixture. The only problem I have had was the dealer did not lower the spare tire's pressure to match the 32 lbs in the wheels on the ground. It took a while to figure this out.

High driving position and excellent performance.

Adjust the onboard computer to calculate and display real world gas mileage. There is NO way the 'extra mile' tire feature is going to last 100,000 miles even though I have had the tires rotated every 5,000 at the dealer. I doubt Toyota would replace them when they have 50,000 miles on them.

Love It!!!
By Love my 4 runner

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

No regrets about buying this vehicle. I've had my 4 runner for almost a year now. The more I drive it, the more I love it. It runs, rides, and looks great. Gas mileage has been far better than I had anticipated. Great vehicle overall!

Where to begin... 4wd, climate control, good looking wheels, automatic braking if it starts rolling backwards on a hill, the list goes on...

Could use a little more headroom. Could not find an SR5 with side airbags.

Most comfortable car I have owned
By Jim

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Great ride, comfort, leg room, storage room aplenty, pickup great, have received several compliments on car, could not be more pleased with quality, finish and comfort of the 4runner.

Ease of back door, steering, style, stereo system,

Gas mileage, I get 18-19.5 around town & about 23-25 on the road for a v6 not too bad I guess