Used 2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Excellent SUV
By dwmiller25

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This has been my wife's vehicle for 5 years and now with 107k on the clock, we have done nothing to the vehicle except regular maintenance and one battery change out. This car is a fantastic family SUV. The car has plenty of power, a very smooth transmission and all out feel of a well made automobile. Hopefully we will have it for another 100k miles!

Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned
By 1Happy Camper

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new in 2005 and I couldn't be happier. I travel a lot for work and put a great deal of miles on this truck. Other than replacing the tires at 90K miles (yep, you heard right, 90K miles) and a new set of front brakes, I have not had a single thing go wrong with this vehicle. If you're in the market for a good looking, dependable SUV then the 4Runner is a great deal.

Favorite Features

Steering wheel audio control, fold- flat back seats, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Interior lighting is less than adequate, driver's seat is not that comfortable on long trips.

Best Mid-Sized SUV on Market!
By klegg

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've read most of the posts here, and most of positive ones are right on. We have the 2005 v8 4x4, and it's exceeded our expectations. Plenty of power, interior room is good and the height-adjustable driver seat is very comfortable and accommodates a variety of body types. Towing our 2300 lb popup camper from Denver to Page AZ with climate control gave us 16mpg at average of 65mph! That's pretty good! Control layout is very good. MPG in town has been a consistent 17, and we've had as much as 24 on highway. It's been as bad as 16, but if you don't drive it like you stole it, it will easily do 18.

Favorite Features

5 speed automatic, room in front, 17" wheels, v8 power. 3rd row seat is great for kids.

Suggested Improvements

Visibility out back is limited with 3rd row seat deployed.

Hype
By Ron

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife's 4Runner was showing a fault message so she took it to the dealer, the message has been removed but now the windows don't work. So much for the hype about Toyota Quality. The fuse panel is very low and doesn't have a fuse puller so back to the shop again, at least it's still under warranty. The layout of the acessories is awful, it's a safety issue to try to find things and drive. Pull off the road before selecting the defroster of looking for the cruise control. Fuel economy is really poor, under 9 mpg towing a lightweight trailer on flat ground. The 4.7L engine sure isn't up to the challenge.

Favorite Features

Outside styling.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel usage, lack of headroom and layout of controls.

Typical Toyota
By dave

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a typical Toyota, built rock solid with excellent reliability. I drive through out So Cal and this car is very comfortable on long commutes. I am 6-0 tall and have plenty of leg and head room. The ride is excellent. Very smooth on the road and around town. Gas mileage exceeds specs. I get 24+ (rated at 22 mpg) on the highway. I also find the optional 3rd row seat a very useful addition. I am very happy with this SUV.

Favorite Features

7 passenger seating, flawless V6 engine, comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

Fold flat 3rd row seat would be a great improvement.