2005 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Excellent SUV
By dwmiller25 on 12/07/11 13:15 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This has been my wife's vehicle for 5 years and now with 107k on the clock, we have done nothing to the vehicle except regular maintenance and one battery change out. This car is a fantastic family SUV. The car has plenty of power, a very smooth transmission and all out feel of a well made automobile. Hopefully we will have it for another 100k miles!

Most reliable vehicle I've ever owned
By 1Happy Camper on 03/07/09 21:16 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new in 2005 and I couldn't be happier. I travel a lot for work and put a great deal of miles on this truck. Other than replacing the tires at 90K miles (yep, you heard right, 90K miles) and a new set of front brakes, I have not had a single thing go wrong with this vehicle. If you're in the market for a good looking, dependable SUV then the 4Runner is a great deal.

Best Mid-Sized SUV on Market!
By klegg on 08/01/08 08:29 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've read most of the posts here, and most of positive ones are right on. We have the 2005 v8 4x4, and it's exceeded our expectations. Plenty of power, interior room is good and the height-adjustable driver seat is very comfortable and accommodates a variety of body types. Towing our 2300 lb popup camper from Denver to Page AZ with climate control gave us 16mpg at average of 65mph! That's pretty good! Control layout is very good. MPG in town has been a consistent 17, and we've had as much as 24 on highway. It's been as bad as 16, but if you don't drive it like you stole it, it will easily do 18.

Hype
By Ron on 04/29/07 13:57 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife's 4Runner was showing a fault message so she took it to the dealer, the message has been removed but now the windows don't work. So much for the hype about Toyota Quality. The fuse panel is very low and doesn't have a fuse puller so back to the shop again, at least it's still under warranty. The layout of the acessories is awful, it's a safety issue to try to find things and drive. Pull off the road before selecting the defroster of looking for the cruise control. Fuel economy is really poor, under 9 mpg towing a lightweight trailer on flat ground. The 4.7L engine sure isn't up to the challenge.

Typical Toyota
By dave on 03/19/07 21:43 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This car is a typical Toyota, built rock solid with excellent reliability. I drive through out So Cal and this car is very comfortable on long commutes. I am 6-0 tall and have plenty of leg and head room. The ride is excellent. Very smooth on the road and around town. Gas mileage exceeds specs. I get 24+ (rated at 22 mpg) on the highway. I also find the optional 3rd row seat a very useful addition. I am very happy with this SUV.

My review of 2005 4 Runner with the V8
By Mark Savage on 09/06/06 22:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We really like this vehicle overall; just wish gas had not gone up like it did, for we had a 4 cylinder camry prior and it obviously got better mileage; still, on the open road, I've seen the gas monitor go as high as 24 to 29 mpg when driven between 40 and 55mph. I'd guess we were getting about 16 to 20 average though. The power this SUV has is very surprising. A friend of ours has a V6 version and I rode with him and during hard acceleration, I could only tell a little difference in the V6 and V8, so the V6 will serve you well also. I'd highly recommend the 4Runner; I just wish I had the 4 wheel drive version for those rare times we get snow or ice in this part of NC.

Excellent!
By Mike on 02/11/06 21:34 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I leased my runner in early 2005 and LOVE it. Great ride, stylish interior, good stereo, low noise.

Trucky But Family
By BMJ on 02/11/06 11:55 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My wife wanted a truck but not a practical purchase for a family vehicle. She liked her van so we needed something in the middle but not too big. This SUV is it, it is truck like, rides as such but that makes it fun to drive. Durable and sporty. Toyota really fine tunes this offering. If you like something with a truck feeel (and truck insurance rates!) this is a great vehicle so far.

utahrunner
By 4runnerowner on 11/10/05 07:46 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

overall this vehicle gives you the peace of mind both on road and off. It has plenty of power with the v-6 for passing and towing. Off road it is amazing as it climbs like it is glued to the trail and then back on the road it feels like a sport sedan.Very fun to drive and the "cool" factor is always there.

Best Choice I have made in a vehicle!
By James H. on 09/13/05 23:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been a pickup truck buyer for a long time (20 years or more) and I decided this time to look into an SUV for myself and I fell in love with the looks of the 4runner. I didn't know until after I test drove and then bought this SUV how much I was going to love it! The performance, feel, muscular stance and appearance and quality of build is impressive. I will definitely buy another one if I ever decide to trade this (don't know when that will happen!).