Used 2005 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 244 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

2005 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Best vehicle I have ever owned
By Blake

2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Awesome 4runner!
By Dennis

2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

For me, the ride, power, comfort of this 4runner is perfect! I know at a cost over $40,000 new, this wouldn't be for me. But buying it at a great used price and it was well cared for by previous owner. It has 182,000 on it but you wouldn't know it. I think the one drawback to this would be the timing belt. On this engine damgage can occur if belt would break. From what I hear , it is costly to have done at a dealership to have the belt replaced. I plan on doing it myself however. I have driven it in slippery road conditions and it has performed excellent! Better then my 4wd Tacoma. Knowing what I know now...I would have had one sooner if the price was right.

Not happy with my 4 runner.
By Ray

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Mechanical performance of the car is ok but the interior electronic controls are not user friendly. Air conditioning system went out prematurely and cost about $1800 to repair. Rear hatch is electronically controlled, and the electronic controls failed. Could not open rear hatch & took several days at dealership to resolve. Cost about $600 to repair just so we could open the rear hatch. Air pressure warning light comes on and takes and act of congress to get it turned off. Finally just stays on all the time and we are told the sensors will have to be replaced.

Very frustrating and very expensive electronic issues.

Best SUV Made!
By 4runnerguy

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The 4runner is the last midsize REAL suv aside from the Grand Cherokee. This is my second Gen4, the two gripes you'll hear from me are: FIRST, Sunroofs in Gen4s take valuable head room, I'm 6'1 and I couldn't ride over bumps without hitting my head, if I stretched my head would touch. To add to the frustration of the sunroof I noticed water coming in while going through a car wash, $1,000 to replace!!!!!!! The only thing I dislike about my sunroof LESS 4runner is the rear seats don't recline in the 05's which they do at the refresh 06-09. SECOND, the gas tank is too small, maybe they ran out of room but it should be about 4 gallons bigger IMO.

Just bought one
By 4runner8762

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought in mid 2014, a 2005 Toyota 4runner v6 Sport edition.
It had 67k miles on it and 2-3 previous owners.
I absolutely love it. the biggest catch for me buying it was the mpg, as my previous car was a civic. in all honesty it gets decent mpg, my city is 18, and highway is an easy 24. just don't drive like an idiot and mpg's aren't too bad at all. the layout is great, super practical and simple. the back is big enough to sleep two and have room for gear. the engine is plenty powerful enough, although i can imagine a v8 being a bit stronger off the line. when i bought it I had to replace the alternator, and i did a 'seafoam' flush of the oil and gas. great machine, buy it!

the backseats folding down. plenty of room. the layout of the drivers seat and controls.

I want a 4runner that's manual and Diesel!