Used 2005 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Not happy with my 4 runner.
By Ray

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Mechanical performance of the car is ok but the interior electronic controls are not user friendly. Air conditioning system went out prematurely and cost about $1800 to repair. Rear hatch is electronically controlled, and the electronic controls failed. Could not open rear hatch & took several days at dealership to resolve. Cost about $600 to repair just so we could open the rear hatch. Air pressure warning light comes on and takes and act of congress to get it turned off. Finally just stays on all the time and we are told the sensors will have to be replaced. Very frustrating and very expensive electronic issues.

Just bought one
By 4runner8762

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought in mid 2014, a 2005 Toyota 4runner v6 Sport edition. It had 67k miles on it and 2-3 previous owners. I absolutely love it. the biggest catch for me buying it was the mpg, as my previous car was a civic. in all honesty it gets decent mpg, my city is 18, and highway is an easy 24. just don't drive like an idiot and mpg's aren't too bad at all. the layout is great, super practical and simple. the back is big enough to sleep two and have room for gear. the engine is plenty powerful enough, although i can imagine a v8 being a bit stronger off the line. when i bought it I had to replace the alternator, and i did a 'seafoam' flush of the oil and gas. great machine, buy it!

the backseats folding down. plenty of room. the layout of the drivers seat and controls.

I want a 4runner that's manual and Diesel!

Proven, Capable, SUV
By onthe4frnt

2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this used with 89,000 miles from a friend who took very good care of the vehicle. Can't be happier with my new purchase, extremely reliable, no rattles or squeaks. Gas mileage is the only sticking point, but was expected when purchasing the vehicle. Surprisingly, I'm getting better gas mileage than what I expected. The trip computer on the car states 21.9 - 22 MPG, but calculating the mileage by hand is about 19 - 20.5 mpg. That's with 50/50 city/hwy driving. Navigation is decent, slightly cumbersome system, not as easy as Garmin. Leather is like-new and heat seaters are amazing!

Leather, navigation, sunroof, stock sound w/navigation, gas mileage (considering the vehicle), 4X4 capabilities, seat heaters.

For a car built in 2005 as a "Limited" model with most all the bells and whistles, I'm surprised to find a lack of audio jack for the navigation system, bluetooth, or XM radio. Currently, trying to find the best method to play my iPhone/iPod through the sound system without being an FM transmitter.

Absolutely a great SUV for the money
By sakinosh

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

When I decided to buy a 4Runner, it was the '05 Sport that I wanted and it continues to impress. Found one used with 30k mi on it and now have 92k and it just keeps cruising. Reliable, great power, extremely comfortable seats that have held up perfectly and still to this day, no squeaks or rattles. I put on slightly larger tires than stock (only 1in), but gas mileage dipped. But a full time AWD V8 SUV isn't something somebody concerned w/ MPG should be looking for. If you want a truly reliable automobile that can tow, this is it. I change the oil/filters/fluids myself, and other than regularly scheduled maintenance, no issues. I avg only ~16mpg around town, but low 20's hwy. A great SUV

Seats are very comfortable and the high quality cloth used has held up over time and also in the AZ heat where I lived for a few years. JBL sound system has great sound quality and even sounds great blasting down the highway with all 4 side windows + rear window + sunroof open. Full time 4x4 is actually nice when I tow my quad trailer to the sand dunes. I don't know why, but I like the fact that 1st gear will pull the car up a driveway when I just let off the brake. Styling is great - the hood scoop on the Sport Edition, albeit non-functional has always made this SUV look better than a standard 4Runner. Homelink / one touch windows / great headlight output / grey is the best color!

Let's not kid ourselves, I'm writing a review of my '05 4Runner in 2013, anything I say here doesn't even apply. But missiles, Knight Rider turbo boost, an ejector seat, a "peace and quiet" partition window for rear passengers of the extremely young variety, a more potent V8 that runs on tap water and gets 2000 mpg and an exhaust that expels what makes dreams come true, also A/C vents that run when the car is off and keep it at the perfect temp based on my mood, an ATM machine with an endless supply of $100 bills that is both voice and mood activated, even by my friends and family, paint that dirt/dust/grime/bird poop cannot stick to, oh and it'll run forever. Yeah, that'll do. 2015 model?

Best SUV you can buy.
By dominic16

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Best SUV, really dependable, the V8 is were its at. Since its a toyota.... you won't need to replace alot of things till 200,000 miles.

The fact that you can basically overtake any other SUV or truck.

Nothing really, the early models has defective dash's, so they tend to crack alot