2005 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Just bought one
By 4runner8762 on 06/19/14 10:01 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought in mid 2014, a 2005 Toyota 4runner v6 Sport edition. It had 67k miles on it and 2-3 previous owners. I absolutely love it. the biggest catch for me buying it was the mpg, as my previous car was a civic. in all honesty it gets decent mpg, my city is 18, and highway is an easy 24. just don't drive like an idiot and mpg's aren't too bad at all. the layout is great, super practical and simple. the back is big enough to sleep two and have room for gear. the engine is plenty powerful enough, although i can imagine a v8 being a bit stronger off the line. when i bought it I had to replace the alternator, and i did a 'seafoam' flush of the oil and gas. great machine, buy it!

Proven, Capable, SUV
By onthe4frnt on 04/11/13 13:26 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought this used with 89,000 miles from a friend who took very good care of the vehicle. Can't be happier with my new purchase, extremely reliable, no rattles or squeaks. Gas mileage is the only sticking point, but was expected when purchasing the vehicle. Surprisingly, I'm getting better gas mileage than what I expected. The trip computer on the car states 21.9 - 22 MPG, but calculating the mileage by hand is about 19 - 20.5 mpg. That's with 50/50 city/hwy driving. Navigation is decent, slightly cumbersome system, not as easy as Garmin. Leather is like-new and heat seaters are amazing!

Absolutely a great SUV for the money
By sakinosh on 03/27/13 18:55 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

When I decided to buy a 4Runner, it was the '05 Sport that I wanted and it continues to impress. Found one used with 30k mi on it and now have 92k and it just keeps cruising. Reliable, great power, extremely comfortable seats that have held up perfectly and still to this day, no squeaks or rattles. I put on slightly larger tires than stock (only 1in), but gas mileage dipped. But a full time AWD V8 SUV isn't something somebody concerned w/ MPG should be looking for. If you want a truly reliable automobile that can tow, this is it. I change the oil/filters/fluids myself, and other than regularly scheduled maintenance, no issues. I avg only ~16mpg around town, but low 20's hwy. A great SUV

Best SUV you can buy.
By dominic16 on 10/22/12 18:28 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Best SUV, really dependable, the V8 is were its at. Since its a toyota.... you won't need to replace alot of things till 200,000 miles.

200k and more
By flyfsca on 03/09/12 10:48 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I'm coming up on 200k on my very first and only factory set of brakes. I love this 4x4 as this is my 8th 4 Runner in a row I've owned. I'm now looking in to towing a travel trailer so I'm following some other blogs recommendation not to exceed 5600 lbs total vehicle and trailer weight. So we will see what size trailer will max. I'm figuring dry wt no more than 3000 lbs. I'm shooting at 400k for this 2005 4 Runner. My plate is my id on this blog. Feel free to stop and chat.

Excellent SUV
By dwmiller25 on 12/07/11 13:15 PM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This has been my wife's vehicle for 5 years and now with 107k on the clock, we have done nothing to the vehicle except regular maintenance and one battery change out. This car is a fantastic family SUV. The car has plenty of power, a very smooth transmission and all out feel of a well made automobile. Hopefully we will have it for another 100k miles!

Rock Solid Performer & a Keeper!
By RB & PB on 11/27/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Between my wife and I, we have owned many vehicles. If we had to pick "one" to live with from the many...this would be it. Not flashy (frame/ladder design versus newer design) - don't hear much about it in the media and the limited version is a little pricey. However, this is a safe (full compliment of airbags), reliable, go anywhere, do anything (towing, off road or a wedding), solid performer. We plan on owning this one for a long time - and we can because of reliability. We have had no issues besides routine maintenance (brakes, battery, timing belt change). Sad that Toyota no longer offers this rig w/a V8. Will have to look at the Lexus variant when its time to purchase in the future.

4 runner again!
By sold. on 08/30/10 08:42 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my 05 4runner. I'm looking to purchase a new one. Hoping the 2010 models are built as well as 2005. Only problem I had with 2005 was the moonroof quit around 58,000 miles, costs $2000 to repair, but just had them permanently close it. I will still buy one with moonroof--love the lighting. New brakes installed with 90K miles, new tires at 78K miles. NO issues whatsoever with this vehicle.

Love My Toyota SUV!
By Regina on 06/13/10 09:57 AM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Toyota, and I have loved each one. But, this is my favorite. In this SUV, you sit up high giving you greater visibility. It has versatility because it allows you to transport many things with the back seat down. It has great features. It's a quality vehicle. It's fun to drive!

Life is Good! Thanks Toyota!
By Dean on 06/05/10 18:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my 4Runner as a CPO a few years ago, the first CPO I have ever purchased. It has been superb! 19- 20 MPG in the city and about 23-24 MPG on the highway, marvelous comfort, great stopping power, very low cost of maintenance.