2004 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Review: Not what they were in 89

2004 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Review

SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

Not what they were in 89
By Rob Gregory on

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Well, though it's good, there are some quality issues. First month I had it, it would miss and accelerate on hills in the cold. Toyota fixed that. The rear seats only fold down w/ the headpieces off and front seats forward. New tires at 22K. New rotors and pads at 50K dealer tried to charge over $1,000 for that. Got it done for $550. Dirt piles up inside rear door/wheelwell. The interior fan motor now freezes when the temp is below 25*F. Toyota won't fix that. I need to pay $400 for their mess. My windows can't defrost in the morning now. Tire pressure light is on all the time cause I refuse to pay $190 for a new valve that Toyota needs to program to your truck.

Favorite Features

Those rear mirrors are so you can see your "blindspot" through the rear view mirror. Looks, roofrack, space, armrest/serving tray in the backseat. Garbage bag holder. A lot of compartments and storage. The rear door swings up and the window comes down. No visible antenna.

Suggested Improvements

Manual tranny. This auto stuff sucks. The 4WD "switch" stinks cause it can take up to 45 seconds before 4WD comes on. You better know how slick the roads are ahead! Get rid of that feature that locks your doors everytime you put it into gear. Build your trucks like you did in 89. I had 243,000 on it!