2004 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Review: It's not all perfect

2004 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Review

Sport Edition 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

It's not all perfect
By Canada on

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Gas mileage for my 4Runner was equal to my previous Suburban. Passenger seat broke 3 months after purchase, rarely used. Driver's seat broke 2 yrs, & I had to pay half of $600.00 to fix it! Replaced brakes at approx 88,000 km, normal. Drives excellent, no major maintenance costs unlike the Suburban. But the side mirrors are in my face, and major blind spots. Friends who have driven my vehicle find the same problem. For this reason, I wouldn't buy another 4Runner. I have had too many near accidents due to this problem, and prior to this vehicle, I've never had so many potentials! Stereo could be better. 1 to 2 minutes for 4WD to engage & disengage! That's too long.

Favorite Features

I like how it drives. Nothing major has gone wrong, and it has 134,000 kms, so maintenance costs are contained to filters and oil changes, etc. Minor.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the blind spots. The rear windows seem large on the outside by design, but inside are actually smaller, causing a larger blind spot in the rear corner. Lower, make less bulky, or even smaller side mirrors. Pedestrians at a crosswalk can be completely blocked until they cross the road.