2004 Toyota 4Runner 4.0L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Impressed with quality and amenities

2004 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Review

Sport Edition 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

Impressed with quality and amenities
By Joshua on

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my new 4Runner! I compared all mid-sized SUVs out there and the only one I liked better was the Lexus RX 400, which was hard to find used and too expensive brand new. I bought one with a V8 and still am not sure if that was a wise decision or not. Handles on the paved road awesome and even better off the road. I havent really tested it in serious offroad conditions yet but definitely plan to. I love the little extra amenities like the 115V plug-in, digital readouts for MPG and fuel distance calculations, and the rear audio remote and readout. I debated between the Limited and the Sport and then realized the only diff was leather seats and some options.

Favorite Features

Love the intuitive adaptable throttle control (it adjusts to the driver). I was pleasantly surprised by the gas mileage of a V8 (22 mpg on average). I think the adaptable throttle control has something to do with that. I also love the all-time 4 wheel drive - it really stabilizes the ride.

Suggested Improvements

I am not an automatic tranny fan and would have opted for a manual if one were available. They really need to install a rear hatch release under the dash, or at least some way to open it without needing to use the key (esp. if vehicle is running).