Best vehicle I have ever owned or driven
By mmon10 on
2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)
We got our 2004 SR5 V8 4WD 4Runner a couple of years ago as a certified pre-owned. It had about 50k miles, drove like new. Never gave us any issues at all, always ran like a champ and never needed any repairs. I drove that truck over countless miles of bad road and it wouldn't rattle, wouldn't waiver, and never broke down. Change out the oil and put gas in it and you were good to go. The only thing I would like to see improved is the MPG. Sadly, not all Toyotas are created equal, but the 4Runner is the flagship unit when it comes to reliability and durability, and if I could, I would buy mine back in a heartbeat even with double miles. Really regret trading it in. REALLY miss my 4Runner!!!
Favorite Features
Loved the pure, unadulterated durability this thing has. NOTHING broke on it, ever! I have had dozens of vehicles, and each one has always had something fail at some point, but never on my 4Runner. They don't build them like this anymore. Wish other automakers could offer this kind of rugged, functional, dependable SUV. Honestly, nothing comes close. Sure it wasn't perfect, it had it's weak points, but it was about the best they can make and still sell for less than a fortune. Really thought Toyota was clever when they installed those mirrors on the rear pillars, used them daily in parking lots. I would have taken this truck anywhere without worry or hesitation, on the road or off the road.
Suggested Improvements
Somewhat obvious, but MPG could have been better, but was pretty much best in the class for the capability at the time, so not really a complaint, just something I'd like to see improved if possible. Small interior gripes are front cup-holders are too shallow, no compass in the mirror, dash clock/HVAC display could have been above the radio and the temp controls better designed. Would have liked to see some of the stuff like exterior temp located either in the gauge cluster or top middle of dash, kinda awkward where it sits down low in the middle of the dash. Two of the front console storage compartments are too small for any real practical use, but this is just nitpicking. Loved the truck.