2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
4Runner owners little secret.
By SR5 on 01/03/06 23:47 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've never owned a vehicle that has the kick in the pants go-power this SUV has. No, I do not own the V-8 version either. Even with my sometimes Lead Foot I still get an average of 18 mpg. I hated the look of it when it first showed up at the dealers, now I've taken to it. It will go anywhere my old Explorer would go and more. Just as comfortable and inside everything is put just where ya need it. Great Toyota quality, and dependability too! My only con is the ride could be be smoother, but it is an SUV. (and I'm pretty hard on this vehicle.)

Avg 23 MPG
By quantamanmi on 12/09/05 20:18 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I keep looking for a more practical, better milage, more "green" vehicle that will handle my needs. I research every new suv, stationwagon, hatchback, etc. I can't find anything old or new to compete with the new style 4Runner. A vehicle for any "season or reason". This is the most balanced, smooth, performining V6 on the road. I have had 6 diff SUV's. This is near perfection.

Good on road, good off road
By nuch on 11/29/05 09:40 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Love the 4-Runner, even though I am a Jeep guy. When my Jeep died out on a trail, I got to take my wife's SR5 out to rescue it. The Toyota made it out with no problems, although it is a good thing it had skid plates. They work, too. 4x4 worked wonderfully. I am 6'5" tall, and a model w/sunroof wouldn't work. Without sunroof I have no problems at all fitting in it. Gas mileage is about 17 city 22 hwy (6cyl), good for an SUV of this size.

2004 SR5
By KK on 10/25/05 18:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is my first Toyota, owning mostly american cars/suv's in the past 30 years. I can say I am pleased with the 4runner overall, only having the most common complaint a loose driver seat. I even checked the 2005 and 2006 and it's true, "they all do that". Just grab the drivers seat where your thigh would go and rock it back and forth. Toyota did replaced the seat, but had no change. I would buy this SUV again, but may lean towards the limited model or at least electric seats.

Bigger and better mileage
By Skiller on 07/18/05 14:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded up from 97 4 runner, and this Bigger 04 has extra seating, wider interior, larger engine, and the mileage is better than the smaller V-6 from 1997! I average 20 city, and 22- 24 on road! Great large size 4 runner, but I miss the sport car fell of the smaller body! I find the heat and air are not evenly distributed, so that needs to be fixed by Toyota. Overall still a stylish SUV than grabs your attention, very quiet ride, nice power curve for towing.

excellent except
By carolyn on 07/16/05 19:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my 4runner except one thing. The fuel economy on this puppy is not that good. I go to the gas pump quite a bit in this thing. The 4 wheel drive is awesome and has pulled me through many a snow storm. Toyota quality is outstanding.

One of the best cars I have owned
By H Andres on 06/30/05 14:10 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned domestic and so called foreign vehicles of all the ones I have owned this one is very reliable. I decided to purchase this SUV because, all the people I asked that owned Toyotas (some of the cars were very old, and some had over 248000 miles) couldn't say enough good things about it My family and I feel very safe and very happy to have one.

Toyota 4Runner SR5
By mmerc on 05/19/05 14:37 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Wouldn't you know it, finally can afford a 4Runner and not crazy about new body style. Love mid-90s 4Runners and all previous. This one is cool, but almost ostentatious-looking. Also the gas mileage is really pretty bad; so far just driving in town, hope it's better on a road trip. Great Toyota quality seems intact. Rear-seat passengers complained about "too much heat" in back seat in winter, don't know -- a little bulky to turn & park. Also uneasy about "push button" 4WD: prefer old lever style in an emergency which is when you would want it. Still love it overall.

4Runner
By Rachelle on 05/04/05 13:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, this is a great vehicle. Powerful, reliable, dependable, and is the perfect size. I am a volunteer firefighter and was looking for something bigger to fit my gear, plus have enough room for other things. This was the perfect fit.

Good Solid Vehicle
By Trent Family on 04/29/05 15:02 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was our family's third Toyota and we are pleased with the brand. We bought the V-8 in order to pull our pontoon boat. It is a good solid vehicle that offers a smooth ride. I especially like the remote rear window. I would have liked a third row seat but didn't like the fold-up configuration. I expected worse than average gas mileage since I owned an SUV before this one. However, I have yet to get even the 15mph listed on the sticker for city driving.