Used 2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Straightforward Toyota
By Ed

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been an excellent car so far. I bought it with 40k on it, and I have 56k on it now, and it has had no problems whatsoever. I just do my routine maintenance and it keeps going every time I need it. It is like any Toyota: not exciting in any way, but it does the job without any problems.

Smooth V8, reliability, looks good in my opinion.

Seat comfort is poor, floor is too high, could be roomier, could use more storage space.

I LOVE my 4Runner!
By janet

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our 4-Runner is the BEST vehicle we have ever owned. I am so sorry to see the lot full of 2008 runners with a 6 instead of a V-8. The V-8 is why we bought one with AWD. The Gas mileage is NOT significant between the 6 and the 8. We are active so this SUV really suits us. I could NEVER drive a dinky smart car or anything remotely like those... I am used to feeling safe in my runner.

V-8 Engine AWD Great looking

Grocery hooks or something to keep stuff from sliding all over in the back.

4-RUNNER FOR LIFE
By 4-RUNNER FOR LIFE

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought our 04 4-runner and absolutely will never buy any other vehicle as long as they make it as good as this one. The reliability is awesome. I drive cross-country 2-3 times a year and I am very confident in this vehicle getting me where I'm going. I am 49 yr. old female and have it serviced regularly every 3000 miles. Same tires as the day we bought it with 20,000 more left. Done nothing to it but oil changes and check-ups at the Toyota dealerships. Still drives like the day we bought it and now has 74,000 miles. Will keep it til it falls apart, but plan on buying me a new one with the newer body style around 2012 or 2013. Way to go Toyota. You have a very satisfied customer here.

Handling, ride, dependability

Better fuel economy

2nd Time Around
By JMan

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

2nd Generation 4-Runner owner. This one is an upgrade over 2000 model. More interior room, stronger engine with better mileage. Have had 3 problems. Dead battery, bad oxygen sensor and dead radio (after warranty period)-expensive fix. Other than that it's been a great vehicle that shows very little signs of wear with no interior noises after 72K. Average 19mph in mixed driving.

Reliability and space. It provides good space for family of 4. Brakes last almost 60K. Love the option of 4wd when it gets nasty. In TX most don't have it and often can be found in the ditch.

Like to see a sliding 2nd row for adjustable space based on need. Needs a few more power jacks. Have more on sedan.

LEMON
By Randomguy32

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got a lemon. The exhaust leaked inside the cabin (dealer never able to fix). The electronic stability control system was itself never stably operated (dealer never able to fix). 4wd high didn't always engage (dealer never able to fix). The sunroof would open and close at its own discretion (dealer never able to fix). The fuel cap release latch broke 3 times. The radio petered out, was fixed, reinstalled, and broke again. I wasn't able to drive the vehicle for 2 months of the year I owned it and Toyota would not take it back as a lemon citing Massachusetts' loose lemon laws.

Resale value. Apparently these things have a good reputation and I was able to trade it in at another dealership and only take a $3,000 hit on the vehicle's value. Never again will I consider a Toyota.

Customer service and satisfaction. A vehicle is a huge investment for the average working guy and he cannot afford new transportation every year because of terrible build quality and a refusal to exchange an obvious lemon.