Used 2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 369 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love the Quality and Performance
By F. Yaghoobian

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am 52 years old and I purchased the 2004, 4-Runner, V8 Sport Edition in Dec 2003. So far, I have over 80K miles on this car, with absolutely no issue. The only issue I had, was related to the driver seat, in which the seat would drop gradually and you had to pump the seat up every once in a while (design issue). I must say that this car is extremely reliable. I have never had any issue with this car and after 80K mile the car is running just like the day I purchased it. All parts including the battery are still original parts. I must say that I have done oil and filter change every 3000 miles, but none of the major scheduled services yet. Great car with great quality.

Performance and quality.

Interior could be improved.

Great Truck
By LBK

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The 2004 4Runner is truly an excellent SUV. I've owned it for 5+ years, 88,000 miles and it has never required service for any problem. Mine has the V8 and it is AWD. It is really a perfect drive train combination. Handles well, comfortable, smooth ride and looks great. My only complaint is that the interior needs to be some design improvements and the GPS navigation could be a little better. See suggested improvements. This aside, I'd buy another one for sure. It is the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Handling, comfort, power.

There are several features of the interior design that are absolutely no sense. There are several storage compartments that are too small or otherwise oddly shaped that they become completely dysfunctional. It is strange that they have not changed the design. Otherwise a great truck.

Got a Winner!
By 4Toyotasstillgoing

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent, reliable, beautiful, head turner! Purchased used at a GREAT price from a REPUTABLE Honda Priority Dealer. VERY HAPPY! I own a 95 truck, 01 van and 04 4Runner. All cars take a beating from me-lived in mountains. Trust me, buy Toyota - is RELIABLE!

Sporty style, Sport 4WD

Lighting near door /window buttons.

Comfortable cruiser
By shermjet

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

After some haggling at the dealership over this car being a CPO we came to terms. The dealer would replace the two missing key FOBs, fix the significant scratch on the right side and make this look like it should for a CPO. The third row seat is missing on this, but that's ok with me. Now the vehicle. This is as smooth as many cars as I have driven. Not sure where the editors came up with the harsh ride, but I have driven this so far from Madison, WI to Toledo 3 times in the 60 days, and twice from Madison to Hayward, WI. I am averaging 21.8 MPG over all with my best being 23.7 MPG Hwy at 75mph. The cabin is quiet and comfortable and well laid out for long trips. I have the v-6.

I love that the rear window rolls down. I had a jeep Cherokee before this and it did not have flip up rear glass. The center console also is very large and the center flip out tray is cool. I have not tested its off road capabilities. Realistically, nothing beats a jeep.

It needs two power outlets in front. A power closing rear gate. This replaced a 1998 Jeep Cherokee that was a horse off road. I wish Toyota would have stayed a little closer to their roots on the 4runner.

Straightforward Toyota
By Ed

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been an excellent car so far. I bought it with 40k on it, and I have 56k on it now, and it has had no problems whatsoever. I just do my routine maintenance and it keeps going every time I need it. It is like any Toyota: not exciting in any way, but it does the job without any problems.

Smooth V8, reliability, looks good in my opinion.

Seat comfort is poor, floor is too high, could be roomier, could use more storage space.