2004 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Review: 60k Report

2004 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Review

Sport Edition 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

60k Report
By NHSkier on

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this almost 5 years before entering the Army. I now have 61k on it. It's been across the country four times (packed to the hilt with gear), over Hoosier Pass in a Colorado blizzard twice, offroad in CO and AZ. In that time, the only major repair happened at the 60k mark, a bad emissions sensor - $450. I had to also replace a cracked windshield, but I don't consider that the fault of the automaker. There are some minor cosmetic wear and tear issues. The "chrome" finish on the stick column is wearing off. The cover to the seat clamps (where they meet the floor) fell off. All in all, I would have been hard pressed to find anything else as reliable with the same capabilities.

Favorite Features

Taut suspension and tight steering for an SUV. Decent fuel efficiency at 55-65 or less 21-23 mpg. Never get stuck/towed. Toyota reliability!

Suggested Improvements

I don't use the rear "blind spot" mirrors. Backlighting for window and door switches. Trash bag holder is gimmicky. Folding down the rear seats is kind of a pain. Seats are a static machine, figure out a way to reduce static with synthetic upholstery.