2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Solid
By JP on 06/15/07 12:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very reliable, good-looking, solid car. V6 is quick (haven't driven the 8), and it is a fairly comfortable car, even on long drives. After looking at a new '05 Explorer, chose the used 4Runner (w/13k), and have never looked back. This car runs the same as the day I first drove it. Mechanically and interior-wise everything is solid. Even the way the doors close - THUMP! - solid. Very smooth and confident drive. If you are looking for an all around solid SUV, then this is the one. But don't take my word for it, drive one yourself.

Great SUV
By Donnie on 06/09/07 04:34 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I decided to buy a new SUV in 2004 I did my homework.The first thing I looked at was the depreciation of the first five years I owned it. I didn't have to look any further. Aside from its outstanding dependability and manufacturing quality, the 4Runner depreciates about $7000 less than any domestic SUV comparably priced. After owning mine for nearly three years I can see why they sell so well. And two weeks after I bought it I was asked to sell it. No way!!

Toyota Quality, What an Urban Myth!
By sampsonlab on 04/27/07 13:27 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

All four brake rotors warped at 22K. The windshield pops like a bowl of Rice Krispies in the winter. The flimsy chain that pulls the sunroof broke at 14 months. Dealer sent car to an upholstery shop to remove entire roof liner and all 8 pillar trims to repair. Power door lock broke. Main air bag computer fried and we had no airbags for a 900 mile planned trip. Seat belt latch hit door upholstery and door panel split open like a cheap piece of oil cloth. Cargo tie-down buttons fell out of side panels in rear. When replaced, they fit loose, hold no weight, and rattle. Rear window washer/wiper quit working. Paint finish does not hold wax. Leather seat split.

4Runner
By bchbum03 on 04/25/07 20:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I couldn't love a car more, it's a solid and smooth driving SUV. I have owned several and this is by far my favorite. I was thinking of trading it in but can't find anything that drives as smoothly for the same price.

V8 04 4Runner
By Rob on 03/31/07 23:51 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

It looks great, drives great, feels great and, if you get the chance, GET THE V8!

Great value for the $$
By jim on 02/25/07 20:43 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4Runner new about 3 years ago and just turned 60,000 miles. Have had no trouble at all, had to replace tires and front brakes at 50K and that is it. Car has a great ride, decent power, ok gas mileage around 20 city/highway, very comfortable. I also own an 05 Explorer Limited and I can't compare the two vehicles, the Toyota hands down in every way is better. Toyota also holds its value, my Explorer is a year newer with half the miles and is worth less.

Long term report 2004 4Runner SE V8
By RaySmith on 01/27/07 16:50 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded a 2000 Expedition in on the 4 Runner. I have been very satisfied with the size and performance of the 4Runner. The V8 and 5 speed transmission seem to always have the right combination no matter in what situation I find myself.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By Desert Lover on 01/11/07 07:36 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The list is long and growing. My 4runner Ltd. is a joy to drive. The steering and suspension are perfect downtown or off-road. It's a 4WD dream with good ground clearance, traction control and height control. In handles soft desert washes, hills and rough areas with ease. The interior is comfortable, well appointed and high quality. I bought mine used, in excellent condition. It has the premium stereo, back-up camera and GPS navigation system. The sound is great, the camera is VERY helpful and the navigation system is addicting. I wouldn't have believed how much easier and safer it is to have this wonderful and feature rich device. I spent a little more and got a whole bunch more.

True to its reputation!
By jgonzalez on 12/19/06 15:22 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned several toyotas in my life and have always regretted selling them. One of my major disappointments was getting rid of my 1989 Toyota 4Runner as it was truly a work horse with great fuel efficiency. The 4 cyclinder engine pulled my boat and got me out of soft sand countless times. Unfortunately, I thought that having a family would mean that I wouldn't need this type of vehicle - wrong! I purchased a 2004 Toyota 4Runner V6 Sports Edition and have been amazed with its smooth ride. It is definitely much better than my previous love - 89 Toyota 4Runner. In two short years I have put over 66,000 miles and have yet to hear the brakes squeak. Gas mileage is 20 mpg!

Best SUV available
By Bagels dad on 12/19/06 08:04 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Powerful, comfortable, practical and elegant. I love driving it and my dog can't wait to go for rides. The looks are growing on me but I wish it looked tougher and more distinctive. Inside, it is fantastic. The smooth engine and torquie acceleration are tremendous and it is ready for any kind of weather condition. Just keep it in gas and oil and go. Best vehicle I have ever owned.