Used 2004 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Great Truck
By LBK

2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The 2004 4Runner is truly an excellent SUV. I've owned it for 5+ years, 88,000 miles and it has never required service for any problem. Mine has the V8 and it is AWD. It is really a perfect drive train combination. Handles well, comfortable, smooth ride and looks great. My only complaint is that the interior needs to be some design improvements and the GPS navigation could be a little better. See suggested improvements. This aside, I'd buy another one for sure. It is the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

Handling, comfort, power.

Suggested Improvements

There are several features of the interior design that are absolutely no sense. There are several storage compartments that are too small or otherwise oddly shaped that they become completely dysfunctional. It is strange that they have not changed the design. Otherwise a great truck.

Got a Winner!
By 4Toyotasstillgoing

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent, reliable, beautiful, head turner! Purchased used at a GREAT price from a REPUTABLE Honda Priority Dealer. VERY HAPPY! I own a 95 truck, 01 van and 04 4Runner. All cars take a beating from me-lived in mountains. Trust me, buy Toyota - is RELIABLE!

Favorite Features

Sporty style, Sport 4WD

Suggested Improvements

Lighting near door /window buttons.

Comfortable cruiser
By shermjet

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

After some haggling at the dealership over this car being a CPO we came to terms. The dealer would replace the two missing key FOBs, fix the significant scratch on the right side and make this look like it should for a CPO. The third row seat is missing on this, but that's ok with me. Now the vehicle. This is as smooth as many cars as I have driven. Not sure where the editors came up with the harsh ride, but I have driven this so far from Madison, WI to Toledo 3 times in the 60 days, and twice from Madison to Hayward, WI. I am averaging 21.8 MPG over all with my best being 23.7 MPG Hwy at 75mph. The cabin is quiet and comfortable and well laid out for long trips. I have the v-6.

Favorite Features

I love that the rear window rolls down. I had a jeep Cherokee before this and it did not have flip up rear glass. The center console also is very large and the center flip out tray is cool. I have not tested its off road capabilities. Realistically, nothing beats a jeep.

Suggested Improvements

It needs two power outlets in front. A power closing rear gate. This replaced a 1998 Jeep Cherokee that was a horse off road. I wish Toyota would have stayed a little closer to their roots on the 4runner.

Straightforward Toyota
By Ed

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been an excellent car so far. I bought it with 40k on it, and I have 56k on it now, and it has had no problems whatsoever. I just do my routine maintenance and it keeps going every time I need it. It is like any Toyota: not exciting in any way, but it does the job without any problems.

Favorite Features

Smooth V8, reliability, looks good in my opinion.

Suggested Improvements

Seat comfort is poor, floor is too high, could be roomier, could use more storage space.

I LOVE my 4Runner!
By janet

2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our 4-Runner is the BEST vehicle we have ever owned. I am so sorry to see the lot full of 2008 runners with a 6 instead of a V-8. The V-8 is why we bought one with AWD. The Gas mileage is NOT significant between the 6 and the 8. We are active so this SUV really suits us. I could NEVER drive a dinky smart car or anything remotely like those... I am used to feeling safe in my runner.

Favorite Features

V-8 Engine AWD Great looking

Suggested Improvements

Grocery hooks or something to keep stuff from sliding all over in the back.