Used 2004 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Ltd. V8 4Runner
By denpacc

2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Been very happy with the 4Runner. Bought it due to the V8 for towing our travel trailer. The motor is excellent in general, temp. gauge doesn't even move going up steep, long passes in 100+ (40+Celsius) pulling our 4500# travel trailer. The only complaint I have is that it is slightly lacking in power to pull our trailer in windy, open environments. Seems like I need to keep the tranny in 3rd to go up any slight incline or against strong winds. Otherwise it's been an excellent truck. Wish it came with 4.10 gears rather than 3.73; would most likely solve the underpowered issue but unfortunately decrease fuel economy. Generally excellent truck that I would recommend to anyone.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, reliability, silky smooth engine and transmission.

Suggested Improvements

4.10 gears, but this is debatable. Bigger brakes that don't wear out as easily when pulling a mid-sized travel trailer.

Worth the money!
By sonya stilwell

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4-runner new in May of 2004. After 6 years of ownership I can honestly say "this is the best vehicle I have ever owned." All I have ever done is changed the oil and put tires in it. I have around 87,000 miles, and every day I look forward to driving it to work. Also, the resale value is unbelievable. My next vehicle will be a 2010 4-runner when the new wears off of them and the price goes down a little! This vehicle in my opinion is an investment.

Favorite Features

Its sporty looks and it's fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

I bought the base SR5 with leather so I didn't get as many bells and whistles as I could, but I would say the only improvement would be the 3rd row seats. They are only big enough for a child. The vehicle is really too small for a 3rd row.

86,000
By Shawn G

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I just bought my Toyota 4runner two days ago. I was in an auto accident and my 2004 Jeep grand Cherokee was totaled. I was a little bummed at first but that went away fast after I bought this vehicle. I was a little worried about buying a vehicle with 86,000 miles used but am I glad I did. This 4runner is smoother and tighter then any vehicle I ever drove even with high miles. I love the ride and the comfort of the 4runner. It feels like you found a SUV thats worth the extra money. I can honestly say unless I have a lot of problems with this SUV, Toyota has made me a life member in just two days. They are head and shoulders above the rest. I believe I will have many more miles left.

Favorite Features

This V-8 gets better gas mileage then my Jeep with a V-6. Rear Audio, Large Sunroof, very comfortable seats, Stylish Look.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing so far.

Reliable Suv
By Zane Shaffer

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our second Toyota and it's been just as reliable as our 1st. Our 4runner has 65000 miles on it and the only problem we've had was a shock that went bad. My wife has a job that requires her to get to work, no matter what the weather is doing. Shes drove in 6 inches of snow with blowing and drifting for 15 miles. She had to drive around vehicles stuck in the middle of the highway. She never spun a wheel. Awesome fourwheel drive system!

Favorite Features

Great handling in all conditions, fun to drive, peppy engine

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders could use some improvement

Love the Quality and Performance
By F. Yaghoobian

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am 52 years old and I purchased the 2004, 4-Runner, V8 Sport Edition in Dec 2003. So far, I have over 80K miles on this car, with absolutely no issue. The only issue I had, was related to the driver seat, in which the seat would drop gradually and you had to pump the seat up every once in a while (design issue). I must say that this car is extremely reliable. I have never had any issue with this car and after 80K mile the car is running just like the day I purchased it. All parts including the battery are still original parts. I must say that I have done oil and filter change every 3000 miles, but none of the major scheduled services yet. Great car with great quality.

Favorite Features

Performance and quality.

Suggested Improvements

Interior could be improved.