Used 2004 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Great SUV
By excellent quality

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my v8 4 a year ago and it is the best vehicle we have owned! 129,000 miles and still runs and drives like new! No problems at all and the 4 wheel drive works great in snow! Toyota knows how to build them! Strongly recommend this vehicle!

love the full time 4 wheel drive!

2004 Toyota 4runner Sports Edition V6
By Marky Mark

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for a used 4runner that was in my budget 15k to 17k. Within 2 weeks I found a Metallic Titanium with Weld rims, front windshield deflector on the hood, Mean Extras! Exterior in top condition. Interior spotless, I was very impressed with all the accessories with the controls fully loaded. The ride is awesome, acceleration very powerful. V6 engine daily maintained by first owner, super clean!!! 80,000 miles, a little concerned but, every service was documented on file. So I couldn't pass up this deal or STEAL!!! AWESOME !!!

Cruise control, Control stereo from the steering wheel, a lot of compartments, air bags in 5 different location inside, Exterior body shape, oil filter easy accessible, timing chain (not belt), 5th door don't have to slam.

Interior seating to hard, not very comfortable, Inside ceiling light not enough to dim, back side windows pop out,

Ltd. V8 4Runner
By denpacc

2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Been very happy with the 4Runner. Bought it due to the V8 for towing our travel trailer. The motor is excellent in general, temp. gauge doesn't even move going up steep, long passes in 100+ (40+Celsius) pulling our 4500# travel trailer. The only complaint I have is that it is slightly lacking in power to pull our trailer in windy, open environments. Seems like I need to keep the tranny in 3rd to go up any slight incline or against strong winds. Otherwise it's been an excellent truck. Wish it came with 4.10 gears rather than 3.73; would most likely solve the underpowered issue but unfortunately decrease fuel economy. Generally excellent truck that I would recommend to anyone.

Smooth ride, reliability, silky smooth engine and transmission.

4.10 gears, but this is debatable. Bigger brakes that don't wear out as easily when pulling a mid-sized travel trailer.

Worth the money!
By sonya stilwell

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4-runner new in May of 2004. After 6 years of ownership I can honestly say "this is the best vehicle I have ever owned." All I have ever done is changed the oil and put tires in it. I have around 87,000 miles, and every day I look forward to driving it to work. Also, the resale value is unbelievable. My next vehicle will be a 2010 4-runner when the new wears off of them and the price goes down a little! This vehicle in my opinion is an investment.

Its sporty looks and it's fun to drive.

I bought the base SR5 with leather so I didn't get as many bells and whistles as I could, but I would say the only improvement would be the 3rd row seats. They are only big enough for a child. The vehicle is really too small for a 3rd row.

86,000
By Shawn G

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I just bought my Toyota 4runner two days ago. I was in an auto accident and my 2004 Jeep grand Cherokee was totaled. I was a little bummed at first but that went away fast after I bought this vehicle. I was a little worried about buying a vehicle with 86,000 miles used but am I glad I did. This 4runner is smoother and tighter then any vehicle I ever drove even with high miles. I love the ride and the comfort of the 4runner. It feels like you found a SUV thats worth the extra money. I can honestly say unless I have a lot of problems with this SUV, Toyota has made me a life member in just two days. They are head and shoulders above the rest. I believe I will have many more miles left.

This V-8 gets better gas mileage then my Jeep with a V-6. Rear Audio, Large Sunroof, very comfortable seats, Stylish Look.

Nothing so far.