2004 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
The best 4Runner Ever
By Louis Lerebours on 05/27/08 18:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 4Runner for 4 years now. I live in Long Island and my wife used to live in Utica. I was thus driving about 1000 miles a week. Ride is outstanding for a 4x4. On the wet highways or in the snow, the traction control is unsurpassed. I invested in synthetic oil and change my filters regularly. The 3rd row seat is mostly used by my 2 toddlers. This is the BEST 4Runner Toyota has built so far. I am just waiting for an excuse to buy the upcoming redesigned 4Runner.

2004 Toyota 4Runner
By Nick_2453 on 04/15/08 16:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Well, even though it is time to trade in, I loved my 4runner. I would keep it forever, but the trade in is too much money to trade in our other car. This car is amazing! I bought it new, and it's ride is amazing! The design is literally awesome, and I really like the reliability. I am not too fond of the fuel economy (about 16 and 20, city-highway), but who doesn't expect that or worse for an SUV. I recommend getting one with a third seat!

Nothing even comes close
By Autoinspector on 01/09/08 12:09 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

to 4Runner. @50,000 miles - still original brakes, tires, and everything else with at least 15-20K to go. Gas mileage (with smooth driving style) - 20-23 MPG. Ride quality is better than that of others. And at this price point for a 4WD model, this is the cheapest SUV on the market.

Not what they were in 89
By Rob Gregory on 01/02/08 15:35 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Well, though it's good, there are some quality issues. First month I had it, it would miss and accelerate on hills in the cold. Toyota fixed that. The rear seats only fold down w/ the headpieces off and front seats forward. New tires at 22K. New rotors and pads at 50K dealer tried to charge over $1,000 for that. Got it done for $550. Dirt piles up inside rear door/wheelwell. The interior fan motor now freezes when the temp is below 25*F. Toyota won't fix that. I need to pay $400 for their mess. My windows can't defrost in the morning now. Tire pressure light is on all the time cause I refuse to pay $190 for a new valve that Toyota needs to program to your truck.

Like a rock
By richard randall on 12/11/07 13:29 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Sorry, couldn't resist the title but this thing is built like one. Quiet, comfortable, lots of power in the V6 with good gas mileage, I get around 22 mostly in-town driving. It's a sweet ride!

Impressed with quality and amenities
By Joshua on 10/09/07 14:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my new 4Runner! I compared all mid-sized SUVs out there and the only one I liked better was the Lexus RX 400, which was hard to find used and too expensive brand new. I bought one with a V8 and still am not sure if that was a wise decision or not. Handles on the paved road awesome and even better off the road. I havent really tested it in serious offroad conditions yet but definitely plan to. I love the little extra amenities like the 115V plug-in, digital readouts for MPG and fuel distance calculations, and the rear audio remote and readout. I debated between the Limited and the Sport and then realized the only diff was leather seats and some options.

It's not all perfect
By Canada on 10/03/07 11:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Gas mileage for my 4Runner was equal to my previous Suburban. Passenger seat broke 3 months after purchase, rarely used. Driver's seat broke 2 yrs, & I had to pay half of $600.00 to fix it! Replaced brakes at approx 88,000 km, normal. Drives excellent, no major maintenance costs unlike the Suburban. But the side mirrors are in my face, and major blind spots. Friends who have driven my vehicle find the same problem. For this reason, I wouldn't buy another 4Runner. I have had too many near accidents due to this problem, and prior to this vehicle, I've never had so many potentials! Stereo could be better. 1 to 2 minutes for 4WD to engage & disengage! That's too long.

Love my 4Runner
By christine on 07/17/07 11:32 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Toyota 4 Runner Sport Edition 4WD as an executive demo (guess I was in the right place at the right time) and I absolutely love it. I do a lot of cycling and both my mountain bike and road bike fit nicely in the back with the 60/40 split back seats. It handles extremely well; many of my friends can't believe how smooth it is on off ramps and turns. I love the head room; front and back seats and have received many compliments on the color (charcoal gray).

Tall or big persons beware!
By BW on 06/27/07 15:17 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have enjoyed my 4Runner and have found the reliability to be outstanding. It handles like a dream off-road. I race up and down deep sand beaches with no problem. It's light and quick (V6). The features and interior are nicer than your typical truck plus no rattles. Interior room is better than I expected. However, I'm 6'3 200 pounds and the seat + headroom is less than desirable. Fortunately, I have a sunroof, otherwise I wouldn't fit. The seats are narrow as well. If you lean the seat back like the kids do, you will have no issues with head room. One other thing, the computer states a MPG of 25 on the highway and 19 in town. Not true! It's more like 20/17.

Solid
By JP on 06/15/07 12:44 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very reliable, good-looking, solid car. V6 is quick (haven't driven the 8), and it is a fairly comfortable car, even on long drives. After looking at a new '05 Explorer, chose the used 4Runner (w/13k), and have never looked back. This car runs the same as the day I first drove it. Mechanically and interior-wise everything is solid. Even the way the doors close - THUMP! - solid. Very smooth and confident drive. If you are looking for an all around solid SUV, then this is the one. But don't take my word for it, drive one yourself.