2004 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews 5

2004 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Pretty Good SUV
By bud on 07/21/08 12:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The 2004 4runner was our first Toyota. Almost 5 years now and it has about 55K on it with no major breakdowns. In extremely low temps the heater motor will not work, which seems to be a common failure I have read in other reviews. Also, the AC has a relay that seems to be a weak part that they have upgraded on the newer models. When the relay pukes out, the AC light blinks and will not get cold. Cost about $75 for the part, but I have read some horror stories with getting it repaired or diagnosed properly. Overall, this SUV has been superior to the US made SUVs I have had in prior years. Like all used vehicles, Toyota trade-in value is disappointing. Makes me keep what I have longer.

Traded in my lemon after just 1 year
By G OFF on 06/28/08 22:06 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was in the market to buy my first new car and wanted something with an excellent track record. I got a lemon. In the 11 months I owned it, the dealership had it for nearly 6 weeks. Everything was covered under warranty except that so many problems is unacceptable. Major issues like the vehicle dynamic stability function kicking on and off making safe driving impossible and the exhaust leaking inside the cabin (never able to fix). And LOTS of little things broke from the sun roof staying open (big problem in Boston), to the rear roll up window, to the gas cap release lever severed (stuck out on a trip with no way to fill up and not nearly gas enough to get home), even the stereo broke.

Solid As A Rock
By Ken on 06/09/08 15:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall a good buy. No regrets. Well let me take that back. I probably should have gotten something better on gas!! Nevertheless the only mechanical issues I've dealt with are the brakes and the gas tank door getting stuck. Like I said it's a good solid buy. Like many other people, will have to decide whether to keep or find something with better gas mileage.

The best 4Runner Ever
By Louis Lerebours on 05/27/08 18:14 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 4Runner for 4 years now. I live in Long Island and my wife used to live in Utica. I was thus driving about 1000 miles a week. Ride is outstanding for a 4x4. On the wet highways or in the snow, the traction control is unsurpassed. I invested in synthetic oil and change my filters regularly. The 3rd row seat is mostly used by my 2 toddlers. This is the BEST 4Runner Toyota has built so far. I am just waiting for an excuse to buy the upcoming redesigned 4Runner.

2004 Toyota 4Runner
By Nick_2453 on 04/15/08 16:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Well, even though it is time to trade in, I loved my 4runner. I would keep it forever, but the trade in is too much money to trade in our other car. This car is amazing! I bought it new, and it's ride is amazing! The design is literally awesome, and I really like the reliability. I am not too fond of the fuel economy (about 16 and 20, city-highway), but who doesn't expect that or worse for an SUV. I recommend getting one with a third seat!

Nothing even comes close
By Autoinspector on 01/09/08 12:09 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

to 4Runner. @50,000 miles - still original brakes, tires, and everything else with at least 15-20K to go. Gas mileage (with smooth driving style) - 20-23 MPG. Ride quality is better than that of others. And at this price point for a 4WD model, this is the cheapest SUV on the market.

Not what they were in 89
By Rob Gregory on 01/02/08 15:35 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Well, though it's good, there are some quality issues. First month I had it, it would miss and accelerate on hills in the cold. Toyota fixed that. The rear seats only fold down w/ the headpieces off and front seats forward. New tires at 22K. New rotors and pads at 50K dealer tried to charge over $1,000 for that. Got it done for $550. Dirt piles up inside rear door/wheelwell. The interior fan motor now freezes when the temp is below 25*F. Toyota won't fix that. I need to pay $400 for their mess. My windows can't defrost in the morning now. Tire pressure light is on all the time cause I refuse to pay $190 for a new valve that Toyota needs to program to your truck.

Like a rock
By richard randall on 12/11/07 13:29 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Sorry, couldn't resist the title but this thing is built like one. Quiet, comfortable, lots of power in the V6 with good gas mileage, I get around 22 mostly in-town driving. It's a sweet ride!

Impressed with quality and amenities
By Joshua on 10/09/07 14:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my new 4Runner! I compared all mid-sized SUVs out there and the only one I liked better was the Lexus RX 400, which was hard to find used and too expensive brand new. I bought one with a V8 and still am not sure if that was a wise decision or not. Handles on the paved road awesome and even better off the road. I havent really tested it in serious offroad conditions yet but definitely plan to. I love the little extra amenities like the 115V plug-in, digital readouts for MPG and fuel distance calculations, and the rear audio remote and readout. I debated between the Limited and the Sport and then realized the only diff was leather seats and some options.

It's not all perfect
By Canada on 10/03/07 11:59 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Gas mileage for my 4Runner was equal to my previous Suburban. Passenger seat broke 3 months after purchase, rarely used. Driver's seat broke 2 yrs, & I had to pay half of $600.00 to fix it! Replaced brakes at approx 88,000 km, normal. Drives excellent, no major maintenance costs unlike the Suburban. But the side mirrors are in my face, and major blind spots. Friends who have driven my vehicle find the same problem. For this reason, I wouldn't buy another 4Runner. I have had too many near accidents due to this problem, and prior to this vehicle, I've never had so many potentials! Stereo could be better. 1 to 2 minutes for 4WD to engage & disengage! That's too long.