Used 2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Best vehicle I have ever owned or driven
By mmon10

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We got our 2004 SR5 V8 4WD 4Runner a couple of years ago as a certified pre-owned. It had about 50k miles, drove like new. Never gave us any issues at all, always ran like a champ and never needed any repairs. I drove that truck over countless miles of bad road and it wouldn't rattle, wouldn't waiver, and never broke down. Change out the oil and put gas in it and you were good to go. The only thing I would like to see improved is the MPG. Sadly, not all Toyotas are created equal, but the 4Runner is the flagship unit when it comes to reliability and durability, and if I could, I would buy mine back in a heartbeat even with double miles. Really regret trading it in. REALLY miss my 4Runner!!!

Loved the pure, unadulterated durability this thing has. NOTHING broke on it, ever! I have had dozens of vehicles, and each one has always had something fail at some point, but never on my 4Runner. They don't build them like this anymore. Wish other automakers could offer this kind of rugged, functional, dependable SUV. Honestly, nothing comes close. Sure it wasn't perfect, it had it's weak points, but it was about the best they can make and still sell for less than a fortune. Really thought Toyota was clever when they installed those mirrors on the rear pillars, used them daily in parking lots. I would have taken this truck anywhere without worry or hesitation, on the road or off the road.

Somewhat obvious, but MPG could have been better, but was pretty much best in the class for the capability at the time, so not really a complaint, just something I'd like to see improved if possible. Small interior gripes are front cup-holders are too shallow, no compass in the mirror, dash clock/HVAC display could have been above the radio and the temp controls better designed. Would have liked to see some of the stuff like exterior temp located either in the gauge cluster or top middle of dash, kinda awkward where it sits down low in the middle of the dash. Two of the front console storage compartments are too small for any real practical use, but this is just nitpicking. Loved the truck.

Best vehicle I have ever owned or driven
By mmon10

WORTH every penny
By tdtmd03

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our 2nd 4Runner. Bought it because we loved our previous one so much, but needed 4WD to move to Alaska. This truck is awesome, reliable, durable, go anywhere vehicle. Idrove from GA to AK without any problems, hauling a full trunk, two dogs and my wife. Handles the snow trails without any hitch. Bought it used at 56K miles two years ago. Now has 78K miles. We had owned a limited 2006 and drove it everywhere as well. Sad to traded that one in for a Land Cruiser ( also 5 star terrific), but needed 4 WD. No engine/drivetrain/electronic/brakes/etc problems. HIGHLY recommeded. I see lots of SUV here in AK, but would drive this one any day ( with the exception of the LC)

TOUGH, RELIABLE.

NONE.

Bulletproof
By mcurban

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought with 118,000 miles. Got a great deal and drives like new. Solid as a rock with no weird noises. Driver seat a little to short. Other than that its one of the best on the market for this year. You spend a little more but you get more. When the world ends the only thing alive will be cockroaches and toyotas. Customer for life! Thanks Edmunds great site very helpful!

v6 best on market and love the vvti. pulls like train. love dac and diff lock.

Best SUV for the money
By Toy4ever

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my V8 4WD 4runner new in Aug 2004. I now have 89,000 hard on and off-road miles on it and it still runs like new. No problems, no repairs, just scheduled maintenance. I had Toyota install a Readylift 2.5" front lift kit, Bilstein HD shocks, 32" BF Goodrich T/A tires and a TRD air filter. I highly recommend these upgrades for off-road use. The increase in performance is amazing. Average gas mileage is 18.1 mpg. My previous 4runners had approx 400,000 miles when I sold them. The 2004 is much better than previous models. I plan to keep this car forever.

V8 engine and drive train. Overall on and off-road performance and interior comfort.

An adjustable passenger's seat and more interior storage space. Also, a cargo basket as part of the roof rack would be nice.