Used 2004 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Worth the Money
By ATG

2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is a great SUV. It is comfortable, quiet, smooth, and fun to drive. I have owned other SUV's and this is by far the best! Fit and trim is fantastic. Toyota has thought of every thing.

Favorite Features

I love it all, especially the built in compass.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing that could be better is the MPG (gas mileage) and the type of gasoline it requires.

My 2nd and not my last…
By MK ULTRABLIZZARD

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my 2nd 4runner which replaced a 2000 SR5 Sport and will certainly not be my last. Bigger, quieter, more comfortable and tons of standard features makes it stand out from the rest. The price helps too. I got mine for a little over $29k. Simply put: this is one of the best SUVs on the market. Great price, features and Toyota build quality and reliability.

Favorite Features

strong V8, better fuel mileage than the previous 3.4L V6, great stereo, AWD, interior space, 5spd auto, X-Reas suspension, safety features

Suggested Improvements

stronger V8 (i like acceleration, sue me), they lost the auto open/ close passenger side window, power driver seat, wish the hood scoop was functional, styling looks kinda like a minivan, bigger size makes it sluggish around curves

2004 4runner SE
By ggroot

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Styling took some time to get used to. The towing capacity is great and you cannot beat the engine. Compare the interior quality fit & finish to most other comparable suvs (save the MDX) and you understand the price tag.

Favorite Features

The silky smooth V8 & standard trailer hitch.

Suggested Improvements

I find the lap section of the front seats too short. Both the driver and passenger side seats are somewhat uncomfortable. Make sure this fits you before you buy!!

What a great car.
By engjake

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We love this car, should have bought one a long time ago. I've owned several toyotas and this is my favorite so far. They finally got rid of the slide out cup holders just under the cd player, and the new ones are great I can fit a large Nalgene bottle it it, they are are adjustable for smaller cups, and they don't get in the way of any of the controls. The 4runner is very comfortable and controls are all in a handy location. Plenty of power - for what I need - quiet, and the third row option is great for my little girls. The engine is larger than our last SUV and the gas mileage is better. It is also a little wider than they used to be so its more roomy.

Favorite Features

redesigned dash and cup holders everywhere - in each door, between seats, even on the sides of the third row. Great styling, rear power window operable from remote, climate control, and on and on.

Suggested Improvements

wishin' they offered the moonroof and premium sound with the thrid row on the SR5. As far as I know if was only availble on the limited model which was a bit steep[$] for my needs. Better all terrain tires stock on models sold in mountainous areas.

needs larger seats,and mpg
By wilm

2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

i found the limited to be full of conveniences and a few inconveniences. i have a 38" waist. the seat belt is hard to find and fasten when i get into the drivers seat.seats need to be a little wider. more options for the money spent would also be a plus. adjustable pedels should come standard with the limited. fuel milege is much worse than a jaguar xj8. which we thought was bad till the limited showed up in our garage.

Favorite Features

the nav system is cool. however it takes alot of time to understand it and operate it to its potential...if i am there yet...

Suggested Improvements

wider seats, telescopic wheel or adjustable pedels preferably, better fuel economy for a toyota, miss that old 20r engine, sort of.