Used 2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Excellent SUV
By colorado mtn man

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

After debating between the Acura MDX and the Toyota 4Runner, we chose the 4Runner (mostly becuase of cost). Our previous SUV was a 1997 Ford Explorer. So, all of my comparisons are between the 4Runner and the Explorer. The 4Runner is much quieter and has a smoother ride. For a truck based SUV, Toyota did a good job. The 4Runner has much less body roll than the Explorer especially over speed bumps in parking lots. Acceleration is much better than the Explorer although Toyota should improve the 4Runner to have a 5 speed automatic next time. Finally, the Explorer does have more room in back, but hey, can't get everything.

Favorite Features

Oil filter is on top of the engine (nice). Plenty of storage. Low tire pressure alert is standard. Large glove compartment! Smooth ride compared to my 1997 Explorer and much quieter!

Suggested Improvements

Fix the cup holders (add a dent for the cup handles like Ford did). Any cup that has a handle won't fit. Add a passenger side key entry. Climate control knobs are quirky, stick with knobs. Keypad entry would be nice. Had it on the Ford Explorer and I miss it already.

Great ride
By Matt E

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned many cars, this being my seventh new car. This has to be the best vehicle ive owned. It is smooth, quiet, and very powerful. Best car out there.

Favorite Features

V-8 Option and the full time four wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing.

2004 SE-V8
By pccomptue

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I sold my Honda Pilot for obvious reasons - The 4Runner is quieter, drives better and awesome v8 power. The Honda was on par but not as refined nor as smooth. I had my Honda Pilot almost two years and with 40k miles. Its ride is harsh and on par with my 2004 honda civic.

Favorite Features

It does everything better than the Honda Pilot except room accomodation. Best of all, it doesn't look like a minivan. Dollar for Dollar, the 4runner overs alot more than the Pilot. Has the latest technologies Down Hill Assist, XREAS, and Up Hill Assist.

Suggested Improvements

The fan / ac dial jog buttons are ridiculous.

My opinion of the 4 Runner
By LE AYCOCK

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The ride is really comfortable compared to the Ford Explorer (which is what I traded in)

Favorite Features

Sun roof is wonderful...and I love the way the back window also rolls down. And I almost forgot the gas information panel is the BEST!

Suggested Improvements

oscillating vents and a divider that would keep boxes from sliding around in the back of the SUV. Things roll out when door opens. Something removable that can slide up and down similar to cover that hides everything stored back there would be very pracitcal and look good

The Best in 35 Years
By GL.MAX

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Third 4 Runner, Last was a 2000. Have owened 4x4's since 1969. This by far the best engineered and best built car of it type I have ever owned. Interior: Bucket seats are excellent.Added sheepshin covers to releive the heat/cold of leather seats. Controls are easy to see and operate. (The Inst. Manuel at 401 pages, well...) The A/C is good, not excellent. The CD player is hard to operate if Area Nav is installed. A plus is the mini cam in the rear. Paking it much easier adds to safty as you can see see that no child is behind you. Forward visability is excellent. Rearward is poor. Without the mini TV, backing up would be an adventure and dangerous.

Favorite Features

I have the V-8 and the ability to pass or get into fast moving traffic is a joy. The V-6 is underpowered. The rear mounted mini TV, almost a must The increased fuel capasity and the angle of the filler which makes it much easier to fill up.

Suggested Improvements

The Fog lamps are a joke.Hard to tell if they are on. They should be yellow not white, mounted higher. Will upgrade when after marked lamps are available. Rubber strips on bumbers to prevent mini scratches to the paint. Make cloth seats availablw. Leather is nice but not practical.