Used 2004 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Toyota 4 Runner SR5 2WD V8 Review
By Martins in West, TX

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The new 4 Runner has a much more comfortable ride than the older models. No bouncing feeling on the road. The vehicle is very stable. The 3rd row seating is great for kids. Not enough foot room for adults. Telescoping Steering wheel would be great for SR5 but not offered unless you scale up to a sport or limited model. Sharp appearance. Plenty of room. The vehicle will tow well and towing hitch is standard. Be careful with towing hitch. Some models come with 7500 LB tow hitch and others come with 5000 LB hitch. The 7500 LB hitch comes with transmission cooler located inside the front grill.

Favorite Features

5 speed auto-transmission with V8 model that gives luxury feeling and unnoticeable shifting. Reclining 2nd row seats. Shift knob in center console gives sporty feel. 17" tires, Lots of overhead handles to grab. Electric back glass that opens down into door. Standard tow hitch.

Suggested Improvements

Telescopic steering wheel on SR5. More maneuverability on driver and passenger seats to raise /support knees up more. Upgrade premium stereo on models with 3rd row seating. Sunroof option on models with 3rd row seating.

Everything I Ever Wanted
By Desert Dog

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I traded in my SR5 Tundra for the '04 4Runner. As much as I loved the Tundra, I love this vehicle more. It has the same smooth V8, and the transmission is equally smooth. I love the way it handles, and the full- time 4WD means never losing traction on wet pavement (which my Tundra always did). I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone looking for a quality ride. Mine hasn't seen much off-road yet, but soon. The ride on the street is excellent.

Favorite Features

Well-designed interior that is comfortable and functional. Don't have to hold the starter, just quick turn and it starts. Lots of neat features like that.

Great car
By Rridgwa

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Traded my Explorer for this car. I needed the towing capacity, but am completely satisfied with everything. Well built, comfortable and better mileage than the V-6 Ford. 21 MPG on the highway. Climbs gravel mountain roads with ease and haven't seen a boat ramp it won't pull my 4000 lbs boat out of. Even my wife noted, this car will go anywher. Great car.

2004 4Runner V8 Limited 4WD
By VWebber

2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

LOVE THIS CAR!! Has all the bells & whistles! Has the camera that comes on when you put it in reverse! Smooth ride, looks great, easy to drive!

Favorite Features

Camera view when in reverse; navigation screen; cargo area in trunk; consoles; dashboard at night

Suggested Improvements

NONE

4runner
By gmilonas

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I like the performance of the 4runner compared to my Ford Explorer. The 3rd row seats are terrible. They are cheap looking and poorly designed. I dont use them anyway, however if someone intends to... they are intended for young children only.

Suggested Improvements

3rd row seats that are intended for adults. the sight out of the rear view mirrir is obstructed by the head rests even after lowering them.