Used 2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

18 year old driving for 3 years!
By jaheem

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

this was my grandmother's own.. she bought it new in 2004 with everything including leather n moon roof.. only except navi.. and we are in 2012.. still runs like new with 45236 miles (i put on 35000 miles on it myself since i got it.!) i love my jeep.! carried it offroading and it did excellent.. we live on a small island.. so i get around 18.2 the most of mpg.! its still shining like when we first bought it.. except lately i have it quite dirty.. only problem i can say i have.. is the tire pressure light has been on from 2009 and it havent come off.. but it doesnt bother us.! recently it started making this noise that sounds like the steering.. but its in the shop getting fix.! no biggie.

outlet so no need for car charger.!! v6 runs like a charm.!

nothing.!

Reliable, comfotable, powerful and great resale
By kworben

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 4runner Sport V8 new in Feb of '04. 8 years and 135K miles later it's time to find a new home for it. It has been the most reliable car I've ever owned in 37 years of driving. Gas mileage is what I expected at about 16/mi overall. I used it to pull a 5K # boat and trailer and never missed beat. Even pulled great through the hills of NH and VT. I've done all of my own maintenance and found it to be very easy to work on. It still looks and drives great. Cloth interior shows no signs of wear. Only significant problem I had was with the sunroof while it was still under warrantee. Took 3 trips to the dealer and they finally replaced the whole thing.

ZERO issues with the drive train Towing Snow and wet handling Comforable seats Resale is very good. Should be ale to get $9K (about 1/3 of original cost)

nothing worth mentioning.

224k (12-2-2011) on Clock and the engine still running like new.
By superdjlgyboy

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Best value for the mid SUV class. This car would not give any troubles if following all the maintenance schedules.(including O2 sensors and fuel injector cleaner and drive belt every 100K). :) Never call roadside assistance again after purchased this vehicle.

The reliability of the car.

Make a/f sensors more accessible. :)

Worst decision
By jcritchfield

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This purchase was the poorest vehicle purchase I've ever made. I brought this truck 6 months ago and I put more 3000 in repairs...Everything from sticking calibers to electically issues. The truck rattles more than a semi truck, would be a quiet ride if there were not raddles everywhere in the truck. I paid extremely amount of money for this compared to SUVs of the same nature, huge waste of money. Im honestly considering trading this horribly designed truck back in.

Nothing

You name it.

Awesome truck!
By blea33

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned or driven! I bought my 04 4 runner in April of 2006 as a certified pre-owned vehicle, it had just over 20K miles on it, it now has just over 90K and the only thing we've had to do besides routine maintenance is have a front wheel bearing changed out, which was a warranty issue! Toyota has made a believer out of me!

3rd row seat would save space if it folded into the floor, as opposed to folding up which increases your blind spot.