Used 2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 368 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

2004 V8 220K
By sfl0294

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

In Aug. 2004 I decided to buy a brand new 4Runner Sport Edition V8. Thinking that I too would buy a new one after it started showing signs of use, it's quite comical actually before owning a 4Runner I had got new cars about every 2-3 years, due to maintenance and worrying about breaking down. I travel for work throughout New England for work and still have yet to ever have an issue while driving. I take very good car of my cars and do a lot of preventative maintenance when not on the road but still this SUV has paid for itself at least three times over. I just ordered a new 2014 4runner today and will be giving my old one to my niece for the summer.

Reliability!

*Only flaw I've replaced the rear hatchback locking mechanism 3 times due to rusting out.

Safe and most reliable
By ritanilesmail

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this car in December 2004. I was pregnant with my first child and wanted a safe and reliable car with good cargo space. This has been our family car for the last 7.5 years and has NEVER failed us. The car now has 134,000 miles & the only maintenance we've done are tires, brakes, a break light & oil changes. I feel so safe in this car; rugged yet has navigation, power everything, rear view camera, great stereo. Although truck-like it has great turning radius & weaves in NYC traffic easily. Powerful V8 accelerates great to merge onto hwy. We tow trailer on camping trips each year! Cargo room is great for house projects & kid gear. Tough, safe, reliable, responsive. I LOVE MY 4RUNNER!

Reliability! After 135,000 have only had oil, tire and break maintenance! Amazing. Safety! Good snow traction, and with two little kids, the thick exterior gives me security that we won't get crushed in the case of an accident. Handling! Great responsiveness for such a large and powerful car. Can turn into parking spots easily and weave in NYC traffic no problem. Cargo Room! Lots of room for sports equipment, beach gear, camping gear, house renovation supplies. Towing Capacity! Can tow landscaping trailer, camping trailer, U-Haul trailer with no loss of power and no engine damage!

Very minor: Wheel rim paint is flaking off, needs better coating? Interior Room is a little smaller than you would think for a large vehicle. Rear door/hatch would love it if it were automatic and could close with the push of a button.

simply the best!
By sclay1

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

we bought our 4runner 3 years ago with 100000 miles on it, now it has 175000 miles and runs and drives like new! the only thing we have done to it is put new brakes on it, I use synthetic oil and change it every 5000 miles and its full every time. if you have not owned a 4runner you are missing out! Awsome SUV!

18 year old driving for 3 years!
By jaheem

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

this was my grandmother's own.. she bought it new in 2004 with everything including leather n moon roof.. only except navi..
and we are in 2012.. still runs like new with 45236 miles (i put on 35000 miles on it myself since i got it.!) i love my jeep.! carried it offroading and it did excellent.. we live on a small island.. so i get
around 18.2 the most of mpg.! its still shining like when we first bought it.. except lately i have it quite dirty.. only problem i can say i have.. is the tire pressure light has been on from 2009 and it havent come off.. but it doesnt bother us.! recently it started making this noise that sounds like the steering.. but its in the shop getting fix.! no biggie.

outlet so no need for car charger.!! v6 runs like a charm.!

nothing.!

Reliable, comfotable, powerful and great resale
By kworben

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 4runner Sport V8 new in Feb of '04.
8 years and 135K miles later it's time to find a new home for it.
It has been the most reliable car I've ever owned in 37 years of driving.
Gas mileage is what I expected at about 16/mi overall.
I used it to pull a 5K # boat and trailer and never missed beat.
Even pulled great through the hills of NH and VT.
I've done all of my own maintenance and found it to be very easy to work on.
It still looks and drives great.
Cloth interior shows no signs of wear. Only significant problem I had was with the sunroof while it was still under warrantee.
Took 3 trips to the dealer and they finally replaced the whole thing.

ZERO issues with the drive train Towing Snow and wet handling Comforable seats Resale is very good. Should be ale to get $9K (about 1/3 of original cost)

nothing worth mentioning.