2004 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Reliable Suv
By Zane Shaffer on 02/20/10 20:27 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our second Toyota and it's been just as reliable as our 1st. Our 4runner has 65000 miles on it and the only problem we've had was a shock that went bad. My wife has a job that requires her to get to work, no matter what the weather is doing. Shes drove in 6 inches of snow with blowing and drifting for 15 miles. She had to drive around vehicles stuck in the middle of the highway. She never spun a wheel. Awesome fourwheel drive system!

Love the Quality and Performance
By F. Yaghoobian on 10/30/09 17:27 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am 52 years old and I purchased the 2004, 4-Runner, V8 Sport Edition in Dec 2003. So far, I have over 80K miles on this car, with absolutely no issue. The only issue I had, was related to the driver seat, in which the seat would drop gradually and you had to pump the seat up every once in a while (design issue). I must say that this car is extremely reliable. I have never had any issue with this car and after 80K mile the car is running just like the day I purchased it. All parts including the battery are still original parts. I must say that I have done oil and filter change every 3000 miles, but none of the major scheduled services yet. Great car with great quality.

Great Truck
By LBK on 10/19/09 13:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

The 2004 4Runner is truly an excellent SUV. I've owned it for 5+ years, 88,000 miles and it has never required service for any problem. Mine has the V8 and it is AWD. It is really a perfect drive train combination. Handles well, comfortable, smooth ride and looks great. My only complaint is that the interior needs to be some design improvements and the GPS navigation could be a little better. See suggested improvements. This aside, I'd buy another one for sure. It is the best vehicle I've ever owned.

Got a Winner!
By 4Toyotasstillgoing on 10/15/09 13:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Excellent, reliable, beautiful, head turner! Purchased used at a GREAT price from a REPUTABLE Honda Priority Dealer. VERY HAPPY! I own a 95 truck, 01 van and 04 4Runner. All cars take a beating from me-lived in mountains. Trust me, buy Toyota - is RELIABLE!

Comfortable cruiser
By shermjet on 06/10/09 06:42 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

After some haggling at the dealership over this car being a CPO we came to terms. The dealer would replace the two missing key FOBs, fix the significant scratch on the right side and make this look like it should for a CPO. The third row seat is missing on this, but that's ok with me. Now the vehicle. This is as smooth as many cars as I have driven. Not sure where the editors came up with the harsh ride, but I have driven this so far from Madison, WI to Toledo 3 times in the 60 days, and twice from Madison to Hayward, WI. I am averaging 21.8 MPG over all with my best being 23.7 MPG Hwy at 75mph. The cabin is quiet and comfortable and well laid out for long trips. I have the v-6.

Straightforward Toyota
By Ed on 04/30/09 16:49 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This has been an excellent car so far. I bought it with 40k on it, and I have 56k on it now, and it has had no problems whatsoever. I just do my routine maintenance and it keeps going every time I need it. It is like any Toyota: not exciting in any way, but it does the job without any problems.

I LOVE my 4Runner!
By janet on 04/19/09 14:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our 4-Runner is the BEST vehicle we have ever owned. I am so sorry to see the lot full of 2008 runners with a 6 instead of a V-8. The V-8 is why we bought one with AWD. The Gas mileage is NOT significant between the 6 and the 8. We are active so this SUV really suits us. I could NEVER drive a dinky smart car or anything remotely like those... I am used to feeling safe in my runner.

4-RUNNER FOR LIFE
By 4-RUNNER FOR LIFE on 02/27/09 22:40 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought our 04 4-runner and absolutely will never buy any other vehicle as long as they make it as good as this one. The reliability is awesome. I drive cross-country 2-3 times a year and I am very confident in this vehicle getting me where I'm going. I am 49 yr. old female and have it serviced regularly every 3000 miles. Same tires as the day we bought it with 20,000 more left. Done nothing to it but oil changes and check-ups at the Toyota dealerships. Still drives like the day we bought it and now has 74,000 miles. Will keep it til it falls apart, but plan on buying me a new one with the newer body style around 2012 or 2013. Way to go Toyota. You have a very satisfied customer here.

2nd Time Around
By JMan on 01/22/09 12:20 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

2nd Generation 4-Runner owner. This one is an upgrade over 2000 model. More interior room, stronger engine with better mileage. Have had 3 problems. Dead battery, bad oxygen sensor and dead radio (after warranty period)-expensive fix. Other than that it's been a great vehicle that shows very little signs of wear with no interior noises after 72K. Average 19mph in mixed driving.

LEMON
By Randomguy32 on 01/06/09 18:17 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I got a lemon. The exhaust leaked inside the cabin (dealer never able to fix). The electronic stability control system was itself never stably operated (dealer never able to fix). 4wd high didn't always engage (dealer never able to fix). The sunroof would open and close at its own discretion (dealer never able to fix). The fuel cap release latch broke 3 times. The radio petered out, was fixed, reinstalled, and broke again. I wasn't able to drive the vehicle for 2 months of the year I owned it and Toyota would not take it back as a lemon citing Massachusetts' loose lemon laws.