2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Best vehicle I have ever owned or driven
By mmon10 on 02/14/11 18:51 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We got our 2004 SR5 V8 4WD 4Runner a couple of years ago as a certified pre-owned. It had about 50k miles, drove like new. Never gave us any issues at all, always ran like a champ and never needed any repairs. I drove that truck over countless miles of bad road and it wouldn't rattle, wouldn't waiver, and never broke down. Change out the oil and put gas in it and you were good to go. The only thing I would like to see improved is the MPG. Sadly, not all Toyotas are created equal, but the 4Runner is the flagship unit when it comes to reliability and durability, and if I could, I would buy mine back in a heartbeat even with double miles. Really regret trading it in. REALLY miss my 4Runner!!!

Best vehicle I have ever owned or driven
By mmon10 on 02/14/11 18:51 PM (PST)

WORTH every penny
By tdtmd03 on 01/30/11 02:15 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is our 2nd 4Runner. Bought it because we loved our previous one so much, but needed 4WD to move to Alaska. This truck is awesome, reliable, durable, go anywhere vehicle. Idrove from GA to AK without any problems, hauling a full trunk, two dogs and my wife. Handles the snow trails without any hitch. Bought it used at 56K miles two years ago. Now has 78K miles. We had owned a limited 2006 and drove it everywhere as well. Sad to traded that one in for a Land Cruiser ( also 5 star terrific), but needed 4 WD. No engine/drivetrain/electronic/brakes/etc problems. HIGHLY recommeded. I see lots of SUV here in AK, but would drive this one any day ( with the exception of the LC)

Bulletproof
By mcurban on 10/15/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought with 118,000 miles. Got a great deal and drives like new. Solid as a rock with no weird noises. Driver seat a little to short. Other than that its one of the best on the market for this year. You spend a little more but you get more. When the world ends the only thing alive will be cockroaches and toyotas. Customer for life! Thanks Edmunds great site very helpful!

Best SUV for the money
By Toy4ever on 09/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my V8 4WD 4runner new in Aug 2004. I now have 89,000 hard on and off-road miles on it and it still runs like new. No problems, no repairs, just scheduled maintenance. I had Toyota install a Readylift 2.5" front lift kit, Bilstein HD shocks, 32" BF Goodrich T/A tires and a TRD air filter. I highly recommend these upgrades for off-road use. The increase in performance is amazing. Average gas mileage is 18.1 mpg. My previous 4runners had approx 400,000 miles when I sold them. The 2004 is much better than previous models. I plan to keep this car forever.

Great SUV
By excellent quality on 09/05/10 12:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought my v8 4 a year ago and it is the best vehicle we have owned! 129,000 miles and still runs and drives like new! No problems at all and the 4 wheel drive works great in snow! Toyota knows how to build them! Strongly recommend this vehicle!

2004 Toyota 4runner Sports Edition V6
By Marky Mark on 04/18/10 23:31 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for a used 4runner that was in my budget 15k to 17k. Within 2 weeks I found a Metallic Titanium with Weld rims, front windshield deflector on the hood, Mean Extras! Exterior in top condition. Interior spotless, I was very impressed with all the accessories with the controls fully loaded. The ride is awesome, acceleration very powerful. V6 engine daily maintained by first owner, super clean!!! 80,000 miles, a little concerned but, every service was documented on file. So I couldn't pass up this deal or STEAL!!! AWESOME !!!

Ltd. V8 4Runner
By denpacc on 04/09/10 16:58 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Been very happy with the 4Runner. Bought it due to the V8 for towing our travel trailer. The motor is excellent in general, temp. gauge doesn't even move going up steep, long passes in 100+ (40+Celsius) pulling our 4500# travel trailer. The only complaint I have is that it is slightly lacking in power to pull our trailer in windy, open environments. Seems like I need to keep the tranny in 3rd to go up any slight incline or against strong winds. Otherwise it's been an excellent truck. Wish it came with 4.10 gears rather than 3.73; would most likely solve the underpowered issue but unfortunately decrease fuel economy. Generally excellent truck that I would recommend to anyone.

Worth the money!
By sonya stilwell on 03/28/10 19:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4-runner new in May of 2004. After 6 years of ownership I can honestly say "this is the best vehicle I have ever owned." All I have ever done is changed the oil and put tires in it. I have around 87,000 miles, and every day I look forward to driving it to work. Also, the resale value is unbelievable. My next vehicle will be a 2010 4-runner when the new wears off of them and the price goes down a little! This vehicle in my opinion is an investment.

86,000
By Shawn G on 03/17/10 20:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I just bought my Toyota 4runner two days ago. I was in an auto accident and my 2004 Jeep grand Cherokee was totaled. I was a little bummed at first but that went away fast after I bought this vehicle. I was a little worried about buying a vehicle with 86,000 miles used but am I glad I did. This 4runner is smoother and tighter then any vehicle I ever drove even with high miles. I love the ride and the comfort of the 4runner. It feels like you found a SUV thats worth the extra money. I can honestly say unless I have a lot of problems with this SUV, Toyota has made me a life member in just two days. They are head and shoulders above the rest. I believe I will have many more miles left.