Used 2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

It gives me no good reason to sell it.
By bg1127

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought used with 117,000 miles about 3 years ago and have about 160k on it now. I've replaced rear brake pads and oil changes and that's it. Cold a/c in Texas summers and plenty of power. I've been toying with the notion of selling it for something else but it's so reliable I can't justify it. I always buy my cars used and only keep them about 3 years. This misn't be the exception :) Awesome product Toyota!

Power, utility, a/c and reliability

2004 Toyota 4runner Sports Edition V6
By Marky Mark

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for a used 4runner that was in my budget 15k to 17k. Within 2 weeks I found a Metallic Titanium with Weld rims, front windshield deflector on the hood, Mean Extras! Exterior in top condition. Interior spotless, I was very impressed with all the accessories with the controls fully loaded. The ride is awesome, acceleration very powerful. V6 engine daily maintained by first owner, super clean!!! 80,000 miles, a little concerned but, every service was documented on file. So I couldn't pass up this deal or STEAL!!! AWESOME !!!

Cruise control, Control stereo from the steering wheel, a lot of compartments, air bags in 5 different location inside, Exterior body shape, oil filter easy accessible, timing chain (not belt), 5th door don't have to slam.

Interior seating to hard, not very comfortable, Inside ceiling light not enough to dim, back side windows pop out,

Great SUV
By Donnie

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I decided to buy a new SUV in 2004 I did my homework.The first thing I looked at was the depreciation of the first five years I owned it. I didn't have to look any further. Aside from its outstanding dependability and manufacturing quality, the 4Runner depreciates about $7000 less than any domestic SUV comparably priced. After owning mine for nearly three years I can see why they sell so well. And two weeks after I bought it I was asked to sell it. No way!!

I liked everything about it.

Mist wiper feature and illuminated power window buttons.

Long term report 2004 4Runner SE V8
By RaySmith

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded a 2000 Expedition in on the 4 Runner. I have been very satisfied with the size and performance of the 4Runner. The V8 and 5 speed transmission seem to always have the right combination no matter in what situation I find myself.

The size of this vehicle is very good. I have a great view of the road.

I suppose a 6 speed transmission would provide a better highway mpg.

True to its reputation!
By jgonzalez

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned several toyotas in my life and have always regretted selling them. One of my major disappointments was getting rid of my 1989 Toyota 4Runner as it was truly a work horse with great fuel efficiency. The 4 cyclinder engine pulled my boat and got me out of soft sand countless times. Unfortunately, I thought that having a family would mean that I wouldn't need this type of vehicle - wrong! I purchased a 2004 Toyota 4Runner V6 Sports Edition and have been amazed with its smooth ride. It is definitely much better than my previous love - 89 Toyota 4Runner. In two short years I have put over 66,000 miles and have yet to hear the brakes squeak. Gas mileage is 20 mpg!

Smooth ride, great lighting both inside and outside of vehicle, good ground clearance, great body integrity, lumbar support, automatic lights, transition lighting, rear seat air vents, and great bucket seats that allow one to recline back when wife sends you out for smelling like fish.

The rear window cannot be lowered without the exhuast fumes coming into the cab while driving. Air sensors need to be specific to where the defiencies are located. I think the light panels on the AC controls need great illumination. Improve on the luggage rack that can support greater weight-box.