2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
224k (12-2-2011) on Clock and the engine still running like new.
By superdjlgyboy on 12/02/11 18:52 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Best value for the mid SUV class. This car would not give any troubles if following all the maintenance schedules.(including O2 sensors and fuel injector cleaner and drive belt every 100K). :) Never call roadside assistance again after purchased this vehicle.

Awesome truck!
By blea33 on 10/28/11 16:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is the best vehicle I have ever owned or driven! I bought my 04 4 runner in April of 2006 as a certified pre-owned vehicle, it had just over 20K miles on it, it now has just over 90K and the only thing we've had to do besides routine maintenance is have a front wheel bearing changed out, which was a warranty issue! Toyota has made a believer out of me!

Worth the money!
By sonya stilwell on 03/28/10 19:03 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4-runner new in May of 2004. After 6 years of ownership I can honestly say "this is the best vehicle I have ever owned." All I have ever done is changed the oil and put tires in it. I have around 87,000 miles, and every day I look forward to driving it to work. Also, the resale value is unbelievable. My next vehicle will be a 2010 4-runner when the new wears off of them and the price goes down a little! This vehicle in my opinion is an investment.

4-RUNNER FOR LIFE
By 4-RUNNER FOR LIFE on 02/27/09 22:40 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought our 04 4-runner and absolutely will never buy any other vehicle as long as they make it as good as this one. The reliability is awesome. I drive cross-country 2-3 times a year and I am very confident in this vehicle getting me where I'm going. I am 49 yr. old female and have it serviced regularly every 3000 miles. Same tires as the day we bought it with 20,000 more left. Done nothing to it but oil changes and check-ups at the Toyota dealerships. Still drives like the day we bought it and now has 74,000 miles. Will keep it til it falls apart, but plan on buying me a new one with the newer body style around 2012 or 2013. Way to go Toyota. You have a very satisfied customer here.

Overall: glad I purchased my 4runner
By NeeNee on 12/28/08 07:57 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My hubby surprised me with my 4 runner as a grad present and I have been happy with a few exceptions. (I wish he had gotten one with a sunroof.) Please see below for the things I like, don't like and problems that I've had with my Toyota. P.S. Invest in some Husky mats made for your 4runner at time of purchase & your carpet will look like new forever! I wish I had got mine when I purchased instead of the factory mats. Which I might add weren't included in my purchase. I had to buy in addition to the purchase of the car!

Best Vehicle I've Owned
By Taterhole on 10/08/08 10:36 AM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This was the first Toyota I've owned. This vehicle has completely sold me on Toyota build quality and mechanical reliability. 62K on it now and we've never experienced a mechanical problem. The 6 is plenty powerful (23 mpg) and the thing rides as comfortably as a car. Fun to drive? I wouldn't go that far, but it is very comfortable. The quality of the interior materials is first-rate. I'm not fond of the exterior styling and the paint on our 4Runner has been poor from day one. This surprised me, considering the quality workmanship elsewhere.

Pleased
By dave on 07/25/08 14:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My third SUV, last SUV was a Lexus 300, This vehicle rides nearly as well, Additionally I get excellent MPG with responsible driving. I have gotten as high as 27-28 mpg on open road and avg 23-25 with normal driving. Reliability has been excellent.

Pretty Good SUV
By bud on 07/21/08 12:36 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The 2004 4runner was our first Toyota. Almost 5 years now and it has about 55K on it with no major breakdowns. In extremely low temps the heater motor will not work, which seems to be a common failure I have read in other reviews. Also, the AC has a relay that seems to be a weak part that they have upgraded on the newer models. When the relay pukes out, the AC light blinks and will not get cold. Cost about $75 for the part, but I have read some horror stories with getting it repaired or diagnosed properly. Overall, this SUV has been superior to the US made SUVs I have had in prior years. Like all used vehicles, Toyota trade-in value is disappointing. Makes me keep what I have longer.

Solid As A Rock
By Ken on 06/09/08 15:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall a good buy. No regrets. Well let me take that back. I probably should have gotten something better on gas!! Nevertheless the only mechanical issues I've dealt with are the brakes and the gas tank door getting stuck. Like I said it's a good solid buy. Like many other people, will have to decide whether to keep or find something with better gas mileage.

Like a rock
By richard randall on 12/11/07 13:29 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Sorry, couldn't resist the title but this thing is built like one. Quiet, comfortable, lots of power in the V6 with good gas mileage, I get around 22 mostly in-town driving. It's a sweet ride!