2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Good All Around Vehicle
By patagoniaguy2 on 02/17/15 13:39 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 8 months ago and it had 159,000 miles, it now has 170,000. Overall it has been a great vehicle. The ride is very smooth and the 4 wheel drive has been great. Since I purchased it I have had to have somethings fixed. The exhaust manifolds on the 2003-2009 4Runners have an issue with leaking. I had them replaced with an aftermarket part, and that so far has resolved that issue. I noticed the radiator leaking on the left hand side, and had that replaced. I will have to have the rearend rebuilt since I am starting to hear a whining noise.

Smart vehicle purchase
By apache1894 on 12/22/14 21:11 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 4Runner used, with 74,000 miles on it in Feb. 2013. I was not concerned about the mileage, as the engines on these SUV's only begin to break in about about 100,000 miles. The vehicle is heavy, and feels as durable and as robust as a tank...and I used to be a M-1 Abrams tank commander, so I know toughness when I see it! :o) As the truck sports a "mild mannered" 4.7L V-8, the engine is powerful and provides great acceleration. Love the sound of the engine too! The interior of the vehicle is laid out well, and has great ergonomics, which make it comfortable to drive long distance. This is the best vehicle that I have ever owned...smart vehicle purchase indeed!

Perfect Mid-size SUV
By wheatonbama on 03/08/14 10:31 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my second 4runner that I own and it was purchased for $6,000 with 205,000 miles. Well it still runs great and has no major mechanical problems. It is really a great SUV to own and is great on the highway where it averages between 23 and 26 mpg driving between 60 and 70 mph. it can get more if you driving 55 mph using cruise control. Hope it last for 300k.

I give this 10 stars on a 5-star scale
By ebara on 01/04/14 20:09 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased our awesome 4Runner in Dec 2012 w/ 100K. Now it has 125K & hasn't failed us...nor will it. Traded a Cadillac with 70K for it because Caddy was having major mechanical problems. Just took a 4000-mile trip to the mountains with the 4Runner, and it held strong, even with over 100K miles! Toyota has quality that no automaker can surpass. Don't be afraid to buy a Toyota w/ over 100K, as it can easily get to 200K or 300K w/ no problems, as long as you keep up on scheduled maintenance. We fight over who gets to take the 4Runner, & our other car has 100K less miles on it. A 4Runner will outlast any USA-engineered car you would ever buy. A Toyota w/ 100K is like a USA car with 0 miles.

2004 V8 220K
By sfl0294 on 12/06/13 09:27 AM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

In Aug. 2004 I decided to buy a brand new 4Runner Sport Edition V8. Thinking that I too would buy a new one after it started showing signs of use, it's quite comical actually before owning a 4Runner I had got new cars about every 2-3 years, due to maintenance and worrying about breaking down. I travel for work throughout New England for work and still have yet to ever have an issue while driving. I take very good car of my cars and do a lot of preventative maintenance when not on the road but still this SUV has paid for itself at least three times over. I just ordered a new 2014 4runner today and will be giving my old one to my niece for the summer.

Safe and most reliable
By ritanilesmail on 05/23/12 13:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this car in December 2004. I was pregnant with my first child and wanted a safe and reliable car with good cargo space. This has been our family car for the last 7.5 years and has NEVER failed us. The car now has 134,000 miles & the only maintenance we've done are tires, brakes, a break light & oil changes. I feel so safe in this car; rugged yet has navigation, power everything, rear view camera, great stereo. Although truck-like it has great turning radius & weaves in NYC traffic easily. Powerful V8 accelerates great to merge onto hwy. We tow trailer on camping trips each year! Cargo room is great for house projects & kid gear. Tough, safe, reliable, responsive. I LOVE MY 4RUNNER!

simply the best!
By sclay1 on 05/12/12 16:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

we bought our 4runner 3 years ago with 100000 miles on it, now it has 175000 miles and runs and drives like new! the only thing we have done to it is put new brakes on it, I use synthetic oil and change it every 5000 miles and its full every time. if you have not owned a 4runner you are missing out! Awsome SUV!

18 year old driving for 3 years!
By jaheem on 05/04/12 12:42 PM (PDT)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

this was my grandmother's own.. she bought it new in 2004 with everything including leather n moon roof.. only except navi.. and we are in 2012.. still runs like new with 45236 miles (i put on 35000 miles on it myself since i got it.!) i love my jeep.! carried it offroading and it did excellent.. we live on a small island.. so i get around 18.2 the most of mpg.! its still shining like when we first bought it.. except lately i have it quite dirty.. only problem i can say i have.. is the tire pressure light has been on from 2009 and it havent come off.. but it doesnt bother us.! recently it started making this noise that sounds like the steering.. but its in the shop getting fix.! no biggie.

Reliable, comfotable, powerful and great resale
By kworben on 03/05/12 13:25 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 4runner Sport V8 new in Feb of '04. 8 years and 135K miles later it's time to find a new home for it. It has been the most reliable car I've ever owned in 37 years of driving. Gas mileage is what I expected at about 16/mi overall. I used it to pull a 5K # boat and trailer and never missed beat. Even pulled great through the hills of NH and VT. I've done all of my own maintenance and found it to be very easy to work on. It still looks and drives great. Cloth interior shows no signs of wear. Only significant problem I had was with the sunroof while it was still under warrantee. Took 3 trips to the dealer and they finally replaced the whole thing.

224k (12-2-2011) on Clock and the engine still running like new.
By superdjlgyboy on 12/02/11 18:52 PM (PST)

2004 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Best value for the mid SUV class. This car would not give any troubles if following all the maintenance schedules.(including O2 sensors and fuel injector cleaner and drive belt every 100K). :) Never call roadside assistance again after purchased this vehicle.