Used 2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

2004 Toyota 4runner Sports Edition V6
By Marky Mark

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for a used 4runner that was in my budget 15k to 17k. Within 2 weeks I found a Metallic Titanium with Weld rims, front windshield deflector on the hood, Mean Extras! Exterior in top condition. Interior spotless, I was very impressed with all the accessories with the controls fully loaded. The ride is awesome, acceleration very powerful. V6 engine daily maintained by first owner, super clean!!! 80,000 miles, a little concerned but, every service was documented on file. So I couldn't pass up this deal or STEAL!!! AWESOME !!!

Favorite Features

Cruise control, Control stereo from the steering wheel, a lot of compartments, air bags in 5 different location inside, Exterior body shape, oil filter easy accessible, timing chain (not belt), 5th door don't have to slam.

Suggested Improvements

Interior seating to hard, not very comfortable, Inside ceiling light not enough to dim, back side windows pop out,

Great SUV
By Donnie

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

When I decided to buy a new SUV in 2004 I did my homework.The first thing I looked at was the depreciation of the first five years I owned it. I didn't have to look any further. Aside from its outstanding dependability and manufacturing quality, the 4Runner depreciates about $7000 less than any domestic SUV comparably priced. After owning mine for nearly three years I can see why they sell so well. And two weeks after I bought it I was asked to sell it. No way!!

Favorite Features

I liked everything about it.

Suggested Improvements

Mist wiper feature and illuminated power window buttons.

Long term report 2004 4Runner SE V8
By RaySmith

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I traded a 2000 Expedition in on the 4 Runner. I have been very satisfied with the size and performance of the 4Runner. The V8 and 5 speed transmission seem to always have the right combination no matter in what situation I find myself.

Favorite Features

The size of this vehicle is very good. I have a great view of the road.

Suggested Improvements

I suppose a 6 speed transmission would provide a better highway mpg.

True to its reputation!
By jgonzalez

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned several toyotas in my life and have always regretted selling them. One of my major disappointments was getting rid of my 1989 Toyota 4Runner as it was truly a work horse with great fuel efficiency. The 4 cyclinder engine pulled my boat and got me out of soft sand countless times. Unfortunately, I thought that having a family would mean that I wouldn't need this type of vehicle - wrong! I purchased a 2004 Toyota 4Runner V6 Sports Edition and have been amazed with its smooth ride. It is definitely much better than my previous love - 89 Toyota 4Runner. In two short years I have put over 66,000 miles and have yet to hear the brakes squeak. Gas mileage is 20 mpg!

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, great lighting both inside and outside of vehicle, good ground clearance, great body integrity, lumbar support, automatic lights, transition lighting, rear seat air vents, and great bucket seats that allow one to recline back when wife sends you out for smelling like fish.

Suggested Improvements

The rear window cannot be lowered without the exhuast fumes coming into the cab while driving. Air sensors need to be specific to where the defiencies are located. I think the light panels on the AC controls need great illumination. Improve on the luggage rack that can support greater weight-box.

Best built and looking SUV made
By Big Guy

2004 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We love our 4 runner, it is handsome, well built, reliable and we feel very safe driving it due to its great visibility and so many safty features. In addition, with it's powerful V8 we average over 19 MPG. We plan to own our 4Runner for many years and miles to come. We give it a 9.5 rating only because it lacks a 6 way passanger seat.

Favorite Features

Rides like a Avalon smooth and quiet.

Suggested Improvements

6 way power passenger seat, and easier to read MPG window.