2003 Toyota 4Runner 4.0L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - Best vehicle I've ever owned

2003 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Review

SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By rufus42 on

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this vehicle new in 2003. It now has 120,000 miles. It has been fun and comfortable to drive. The mileage is 20 mph highway and 17-18 city. There was a rattle in the moon roof and a squeak in the left portion of the front bumper when it was new. Both were repaired under warranty. The front brakes pads and calipers were replaced at 102,000 miles. Replaced burned out brake lights and yellow front corner lights at about 100,000 miles. A dash light burned out at about 118,000. The dash light cost about $97 to replace since I had it done by my shop. Other than these relatively minor repairs, it has been just routine maintenance. I plan to keep this vehicle for another 120,000 or more.

Favorite Features

Air conditioning controls, cruise control, smooth ride, ABS, a readout of estimated mileage left until re-fueling is necessary, fog lights, roof rack (great for carrying bicycle with a Yakima rack), paint still looks like new, vehicle just look good, the trailer hitch has come in handy, the drain plugs for the front and rear differentials are great for servicing, the collant hoses are amazingly durable, the outside temperature reading is useful.

Suggested Improvements

Actual gauges for oil pressure and voltage would be nice, the rear seat belts can be a little hard to buckle for some passengers, provide a collant drain plug for the engine block that is easy to find