2003 Toyota 4Runner 4.0L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic Consumer Review - My Trusty Companion

2003 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Review

SR5 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 4x4 4-speed Automatic)

My Trusty Companion
By rkymtnhgh on

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nearly 6 years and 60,000 trouble free miles later, this truck is still very solid and drives like new. I take meticulous care of my vehicles and the 4Runner has certainly returned the favor. The interior has held up well and the drivetrain has been bulletproof. Unstoppable in inclement weather and supremely capable on 4WD trails. I purchased this vehicle for its off road prowess and it has never let me down. Very comfortable highway ride with decent handling and fuel economy for a truck based midsize SUV. The 4 speed automatic transmission, though smooth, could use an extra gear. (This changed with the 2005 V6 models however, as a 5 speed auto came standard).

Favorite Features

Powerful V6; low range 4WD; Locking center differential; Power rear window; Easily accessible top mount oil filter; Build quality and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Additional ground clearance, locking rear differential. Keep the body on frame design with successive generations!