Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota 4runner - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

You won't be sorry!!! Buy it!
By Matt

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We did our homework on researching the best SUV for our needs. We wanted a reliable, well rounded SUV with V8 power for towing and off road performance for Beach driving . We have had no issues with our 4runner and are happy with decision. Gas mileage is 15-19 around town which really is not that bad, plenty of power and a great ride. Don't be fooled this vehicle has outstanding off road performance - it will not get stuck in the sand!

Favorite Features

V8 power, power rear window, rear seat folds flat, backseat legroom, 5 spd auto trans., full time 4WD, outstanding traction on beach, big sunroof, Michelin tires have 60k and still have 30% tread left.

Suggested Improvements

Where is the satellite radio? JBL 6 disc synthesis system sounds horrible.

Love my 4 Runner
By DOCINMISS

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Interior finish of Limited leaves much to be desired. Poor lighting of controls is bad also. My SUV is trouble free. One service call for a burned out light. My Michilen tires show little wear for 70 000 miles

Favorite Features

Good handling on the road. Very comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Imorove interior lighting. More wood on dash would help

Best SUV out there
By 4Jogger125

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my 4Runner for exactly 3 years and have done nothing to it minus your oil changes, etc. I have never had a bobble out of my Toyota. I actually do not have a 4WD, and it is top notch in the snow, so I could only imagine how great a 4WD would be. I'm 20 years old and I drive hard, but my 4Runner can most certainly keep up. From my short experience as a driver, I am almost certain I will buy nothing but Toyota's from now on.

Favorite Features

This vehicle has a look and performance that goes beyond the rest while still being very cheap monetarily in comparison. All the benefits of a luxury vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

I would have to agree with a few others and say there is a blindspot that is a bit uncomfortable. Also, I dont know if I am the only one, but the paint on my driver's side mirror is coming off. But other than that, this vehicle is perfect!

Excellent 4-Runner!
By TawlerDan

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle now for almost 3 years and the only thing I've done is just your monthly/bimonthly maintance(oil, filters, etc.) It is, in my opinion, the best vehicle I've owned.

Favorite Features

My favorite part of this SUV is that it has a lot of features of the larger, more expensive vehicles, but cost way less.

Suggested Improvements

The "central heat and air" feature is not all that is cracked up to be. Actually, pretty much everything with the air conditioning unit I'm not impressed with. It's either too hot or too cold...never comfortable.

Not Worthy
By Dadeo7432

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our 4Runner had transmission and catalytic converter problems. When we got to the third catalytic converter and the second transmission we decided to trade it in. Only 46,000 miles in just over three years. No we did not have to pay for this work, but the trips to the dealer were getting old, and no I did not feel like towing on a long trip to have the transmission die while towing the boat. The car stank the first year until they finally replaced the catalytic converter. The transmisson vibrated under light acceleration before and after it was replaced. Then the dashboard lighted up like a Christmas tree only a day after the transmission was replaced. We traded ours, hope you don't buy it.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

See above