Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

2003 4Runner
By 4Runner

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great SUV for anyone young and old. Great looking, great handling. Just need help on gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, 4WD, brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Price, gas mileage.

Stuck on toyota
By Tony_sells_R.E.

2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought a 2003 4Runner sport edition with the optional V8, 2WD, and it is amazing. I always wanted a 4Runner, and could finally afford one. It is great. I should have bought it years ago instead of an explorer that blew a head gasket and needed new lifters after 85k miles. I am only 24 years old, and drive hard, and it keeps up with me. Being in real estate, I need a nice car for clients, and a reliable and low maintenance suv that I can fit my family's stuff in when we go out for the weekend. This is an awesome vehicle!!!

Favorite Features

The driver's controls are easily reachable, and the motor purrs like no other. Plus plenty of storage space for my gadgets next to me.

Suggested Improvements

None, it has everything I need, and what I don't have can be purchased from the dealer, like nav. and upgraded stereo. A tiptronic transmission would have been nice, but no biggie.

Cherry 03 V8 4Runner LTD
By Patrick McHugh

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

4Runner well built in Japan, plenty of power with V8 engine, 5,000lbs towing, scrupulously maintained, mobile 1 oil changed every 3,000 miles. Very low mileage as owner working outside of country half time since purchase. Performed very well on cross country trip. A pleasure to drive, interior in perfect condition, has nav system, am/fm. Perfect size to negotiate narrow road and trails. Any bigger vehicle loses utility. Back country vehicle of choice, beats out rangerover, hummer, etc.

Favorite Features

Good driving position, good cockpit, steering, etc. vsc and abs do in fact work and do a good job. Safe vehicle. Can out run must of competitors. Handles up country environment. Looks cool, cosmetic work on plastic front end parts, done perfectly, but no mechanical problems whatsoever.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger brakes and quieter michelin tires on it. Sub-woofer to perfect sound system. It could use a bigger towing capacity.

Proud and Happy owner!!!
By mvh_888

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

ever since I got my 4runner, ive never enjoyed driving as much as i have. Its the best suv so far and its from toyota.As a 27yr old prof. female, the 4runner is my ever reliable friend day or night!

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior design, sound system (6 rockin speakers!)cool consoles and power outlet..just the right amount of space.:)

Excellent!!
By lovedirt12

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My husband talked me into this car. I wanted something small. It was the best purchase I ever made! It gets good gas mileage, rides and drives like a luxury car, is perfect on long trips for everyone. Lots of space, lots of storage compartments with NO wasted space. perfect for a female cause it has lots of cubyholes. Easy to change rear seats and storage divider. Quiet, comfortable, reliable, and gadutes! What more could you want?!?

Favorite Features

Storage, heated seats, plush seats, dual temperature controls, storage, miles per gallon indicator, miles left on tank indicator,3 trip meters, storage, easy folding rear seats, automatic rear window button on remote, lighted running boards, and STORAGE!!

Suggested Improvements

Hard to find accessories for it, needs lumbar support in passenger seat, and needs driver seat settings memory.