2003 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Cherry 03 V8 4Runner LTD
By Patrick McHugh on 02/01/07 01:29 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

4Runner well built in Japan, plenty of power with V8 engine, 5,000lbs towing, scrupulously maintained, mobile 1 oil changed every 3,000 miles. Very low mileage as owner working outside of country half time since purchase. Performed very well on cross country trip. A pleasure to drive, interior in perfect condition, has nav system, am/fm. Perfect size to negotiate narrow road and trails. Any bigger vehicle loses utility. Back country vehicle of choice, beats out rangerover, hummer, etc.

Proud and Happy owner!!!
By mvh_888 on 09/29/06 16:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

ever since I got my 4runner, ive never enjoyed driving as much as i have. Its the best suv so far and its from toyota.As a 27yr old prof. female, the 4runner is my ever reliable friend day or night!

Excellent!!
By lovedirt12 on 09/14/06 09:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My husband talked me into this car. I wanted something small. It was the best purchase I ever made! It gets good gas mileage, rides and drives like a luxury car, is perfect on long trips for everyone. Lots of space, lots of storage compartments with NO wasted space. perfect for a female cause it has lots of cubyholes. Easy to change rear seats and storage divider. Quiet, comfortable, reliable, and gadutes! What more could you want?!?

You won't be sorry!!! Buy it!
By Matt on 08/14/06 09:33 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We did our homework on researching the best SUV for our needs. We wanted a reliable, well rounded SUV with V8 power for towing and off road performance for Beach driving . We have had no issues with our 4runner and are happy with decision. Gas mileage is 15-19 around town which really is not that bad, plenty of power and a great ride. Don't be fooled this vehicle has outstanding off road performance - it will not get stuck in the sand!

Love my 4 Runner
By DOCINMISS on 08/01/06 16:10 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Interior finish of Limited leaves much to be desired. Poor lighting of controls is bad also. My SUV is trouble free. One service call for a burned out light. My Michilen tires show little wear for 70 000 miles

Best SUV out there
By 4Jogger125 on 06/23/06 20:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my 4Runner for exactly 3 years and have done nothing to it minus your oil changes, etc. I have never had a bobble out of my Toyota. I actually do not have a 4WD, and it is top notch in the snow, so I could only imagine how great a 4WD would be. I'm 20 years old and I drive hard, but my 4Runner can most certainly keep up. From my short experience as a driver, I am almost certain I will buy nothing but Toyota's from now on.

Excellent 4-Runner!
By TawlerDan on 03/08/06 16:18 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this vehicle now for almost 3 years and the only thing I've done is just your monthly/bimonthly maintance(oil, filters, etc.) It is, in my opinion, the best vehicle I've owned.

Not Worthy
By Dadeo7432 on 03/01/06 15:01 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our 4Runner had transmission and catalytic converter problems. When we got to the third catalytic converter and the second transmission we decided to trade it in. Only 46,000 miles in just over three years. No we did not have to pay for this work, but the trips to the dealer were getting old, and no I did not feel like towing on a long trip to have the transmission die while towing the boat. The car stank the first year until they finally replaced the catalytic converter. The transmisson vibrated under light acceleration before and after it was replaced. Then the dashboard lighted up like a Christmas tree only a day after the transmission was replaced. We traded ours, hope you don't buy it.

Great Vehicle!
By Laper on 02/11/06 15:38 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Our family has owned the 4Runner Sport 4WD 4.7L V8 since late 2002. We were one of the first to be driving the new model in Calgary. I remember pulling up to the Banff Springs Hotel and having the Valet ask if we would mind leaving it in front of the hotel. He thought it belonged next to the BMW's. It's been 3 years now and I haven't had 1 thing to do other than oil, regular maintenance and tires. The traction control is exceptional, loads of power. We used to pull our 23' trailer with a Z71 and the Runner pulls it with greater ease. The off- road gadgets (DAC, Locking Diff and 4W Low) all work very well together when crossing streams or driving up Quad trails.

SR5 V8 4WD
By Mark on 11/22/05 12:46 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Absolutely great ride! Perfect performer. Pulls 3400# Boat w/no prob's (rated for 7000#) through mountains! Full time 4wd makes seamless driving in mud (snow tests this winter)! Miss my Tundra's hauling abilities (the truck bed) but what could I expect? Yes, sulfer smell with rear window open and engine under pressure. Sunroof is great. MPG is 15- 20, constant 2-3 under what the onboard computer states.?. Tons of compliments!