Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

4mazing
By Lingenfelter

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 03 4runner SR5 in 2009. It had 74,000 miles on the V6. When I first got the car I was getting about 18.3 mpg which I wasn't impressed with since my dad was getting almost the same in his sequoia. Then I put a K&N filter on it. Last fill up I got 21 mpg mostly city with a little bit of highway. Awesome vehicle besides the sulfur smell that I get sometimes when stepping on the gas.

All the offroad gadgets. I started sliding off the road once in the snow and it put me right back on track.

Sulfur smell. Whatsup with that?

No Complaints
By No Complaints

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2003 4Runner SR5 V8 with 16,000 miles. It now has 105,000 miles and every mile has been a pleasure. This vehicle has only required normal maintenance. I have had no major problems or expenses. I will probably keep it until it turns 200,000 miles and still enjoy it. The V8 is silky smooth, the transmission is solid and trustworthy and this model still looks good.

Compared to a lot of expensive SUVs, I believe the interior detail and materials on my modestly priced SR5 are excellent. I am never uncomfortable even after long distance driving.

The climate control system is a little illogical. It has a mind of its own. When simply turning on the system to get vent air, it automatically turns on the air conditioner. No big deal though.

2003 Toyota 4runner Limited V8 4wd
By MTS

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle. I bought it as a dealer demo with 7500 miles on it for about $6k off sticker ($36k). Only a few minor probs, the side mirrors had a weird glare and those were replaced (free warranty), few probs with actuators (free under ext warranty - doors wouldn't lock), a/c clutch relay switch replaced (125 P&L). Blower motor may need to be replaced any day (used heavily/daily). At 105k miles had water pump and timing belt replaced -preventative maintenance only. I put about 22k miles annually on this vehicle and love it. It always starts and goes. Have taken few trips to places from Bay Area to Canada (BC), San Diego, Yosemite, Vegas, Bakersfield, Arizona. Has hauled many things. Good vehicle. 17.4 avg mpg

Reliability!!! Power (could use a little more though). Good ride. Good brakes. Not much rattles makes for quiet driving.

Back seats should be able to recline. Better mpg.

The best suv on the planet
By Miguel Torres

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had three 4Runners, 1993, 1995 and 2003. I have the last once since it was new on 2003, and right now I have 6 years with it, with 110,000 miles and still be a perfect SUV. Perfect movements, great acceleration, nice gear, excellent motor, and beautiful body interior and exterior. Few years ago, I bought a used Jaguar Xtype, and my 4Runner has more luxury than it, and the quality and reliability of this vehicle was nasty. But, my V8 4.7L,4WD LIMITED EDITION 4RUNNER is the BEST BUY I made! Perfect combination between a strong and luxurious vehicle!

Great radio...sounds perfect with my rock! Very funny with all the features that I need!

My Trusty Companion
By rkymtnhgh

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nearly 6 years and 60,000 trouble free miles later, this truck is still very solid and drives like new. I take meticulous care of my vehicles and the 4Runner has certainly returned the favor. The interior has held up well and the drivetrain has been bulletproof. Unstoppable in inclement weather and supremely capable on 4WD trails. I purchased this vehicle for its off road prowess and it has never let me down. Very comfortable highway ride with decent handling and fuel economy for a truck based midsize SUV. The 4 speed automatic transmission, though smooth, could use an extra gear. (This changed with the 2005 V6 models however, as a 5 speed auto came standard).

Powerful V6; low range 4WD; Locking center differential; Power rear window; Easily accessible top mount oil filter; Build quality and reliability.

Additional ground clearance, locking rear differential. Keep the body on frame design with successive generations!