Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews - 367 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Love it!
By Jen

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car w/121,000 miles on it - I use it basically for winter driving and to tow our boats, sea-doos etc. - I have a summer car - but you know what - I prefer an SUV. It now has 131,000 on it and I hope, hope, hope it lasts for 300,000 miles...!! :) V8 power is great, gas mileage, well its a v8, what can I say, but that's ok - I don't know about the snow yet, will be my first winter w/it but sure it will be just fine. - need to learn about downhill assist and vsc.

everything

2003 SR5 4WD V6
By Ed Rooney

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2003 to be our family truckster. While it had a rattle here and there, it was always reliable and well-mannered on the road through 125,000 miles. Pretty early on in had an ABS problem, which was quickly fixed under warranty. No problems since. Good cargo space and lots of room for rear-passengers. I could just fit 2 kids in boosters and a grandmother in the backseat. I moved up to a BMW 5-series, and less than a month later I am considering moving back to a 4runner.

Roll-down rear window. Family truckster and off-road cred both good.

Toyota, please fix your stinky exhaust. Stock Dunlops not that great, but long-lasting. 18.5mpg combined could have been better.

2003 4Runner after 6 years of ownership
By Steve

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall I've liked the truck. I have close to 100K miles now and have taken good care of it. It still looks like a new truck when I get it all cleaned up which I think is due to the quality of paint and components used. I've been disappointed by the reliability. Among those things gone wrong are: AC compressor clutch relay, Heated mirrors don't work, Lights in several areas of the dash don't work, Front brake calipers froze up. Had to be replaced Transmission or rear end has a whine that I'm afraid is the beginning of a big bill. Would I buy again? Maybe, but I would want to look at other trucks first. The harsh ride of the vehicle tends to make those sitting in the rear get car sick.

Look and feel of the truck. Layout of dash, Comfort of front seat, Towing ability, Fuel economy (for a V8 SUV), Quality of fit and finish

The original equipment tires (Dunlop) were poor. Traction was terrible in snow and not good in rain. Wear was relatively fast. I have a set of Bridgestone tires on now which are much better. Comfort in rear seat is poor. Posture is too upright. Reliability has been below expectations.

Not bad for a Japanese car
By ToyotaGuy

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought one of the first 2003 4Runners, SR5 with V8, before the V6 became available. Main reason for the purchase was the great powerful V8 and silky smooth ride. I still like it, but wished I had waited a couple of years and bought a used one, since the value dropped so quickly. The car is so reliable and well built, even after almost 7 years it seems like new, so I think that picking up a decent pre-owned one seems a pretty safe bet. Anyway, the 4Runner is not for tall people and it is not the most spacious SUV out there. If you have a big family, I would go for it's big brother, the Sequioa, or the Honda Pilot, if you don't need the V8 power.

V8 power, quiet ride, decent fuel economy, good reliability.

- Interior is fairly small, not good for tall people, especially with sun roof. - Sun roof is badly designed and practically useless, lots of wind noise. - Rear seats are pretty tight and there is very little space for feet under front seats. - Cargo space is tight - Toyota service is bad

After 7 years, still strong!
By Jason H

2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just drove 2300 miles from California to Atlanta without a hiccup! No worries on long road trip when you have a reliable Toyota with you. Oh, and this is with 97K total miles.

XREAS suspension, ease of creating space (folding back seats), torque of V8.

Lot of rattles on the '03, heard it was fixed for later years. Sport Edition rotors have to be turned pretty early or the whole rotor must be replaced.