Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Devil in the Details
By rob in co

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, this is a very impressive vehicle. However, I have had a recurrent front suspension squeak (traced to the body mount) that is still not fixed after 4 visits to the dealer, and I am now seeking to have the vehicle replaced with a new one with 3200 miles on the clock. I have also been bothered by a rattle in the headliner by the sunglass holder. I expected better attention to the small details by Toyota, but hopefully they will remedy the situation. I love the vehicle otherwise, I'd just like to have a new one that's without the squeaks and rattles.

Favorite Features

Full-time 4wd, great stereo, better gas mileage than I expected, solid ride, powerful V-6.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the squeaks and rattles. Toyota is supposed to be synonymous with quality. I would expect this from a GM or Ford vehicle, but not a Toyota.

GREAT TRUCK!!!
By HPOOH

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

XREAS is great!!! Ride quality is above par, quiet and powerful V6 engine. Camry has 5-speed auto on the V6.... why not the 4runner? Gas milage is somewhat bad... i am getting about 16mpg

Favorite Features

auto climate control, XREAS is great!!! Ride quality is above par, quite and powerful V6 engine.

Suggested Improvements

5-speed automatic may help save some gas cost

4-Runner Nothing Else Will Do
By AAJoe

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my favorite SUV I have ever owned. (99 Tahoe, 92 K-5 Blazer, 87 Cherokee, 82 CJ7) I tested the 2003 Tahoe, Discovery, Trailblaizer & Durango and I would have paid a $5000 premium for the powertrain and handling of the 4-Runner. New for 2003 increased size and V-8 option won me over. The best of the "real" 4x4 SUV's if you dont have a large family.

Favorite Features

Powertrain, Suspension, 4x4 system.

Suggested Improvements

Auto headlights, dash mounted overhead light control, Rear seat center LATCH system & third row option.

OUTSTANDING SUV!!
By Chef Chris

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Unbelievable. Excellent SUV with plenty of power and "foo-foo" stuff for comfort. Loaded my SR5 with leather, premium sound, etc. and still paid $1000 below invoice!!! Previous Jeep owner and this truck BLOWS it out of the water!

Favorite Features

Premium 6 disc in dash system! Interior illumination! Back window that goes down!! Rear-seat audio is the bomb!

Suggested Improvements

Add lights to ALL window switches. Keyless remote needs a power UP for the back window...not just DOWN!

Fun to drive!!
By donnfann

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Fun to drive!! Very resonsive. Plenty of towing power even driving thru the mountains. Only negative is a rattle in the sunroof took 4 visits to the dealership to get the problem resolved.

Favorite Features

Rear seat headphones is a must for drivers with pre-teens.

Suggested Improvements

Six way power driver seat needs to be standard option. Every other option is availble.