Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

The Best SUV
By Oxnard

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

One of the best SUV. Very smooth to drive and lots of room at the back. Sound system is the best. Lots of power

Automatic air condition control and sound system

There was an annoying rattle noise from sunroof but it's fixable. Toyota is aware of the problem and they fixed mine right away.

Devil in the Details
By rob in co

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall, this is a very impressive vehicle. However, I have had a recurrent front suspension squeak (traced to the body mount) that is still not fixed after 4 visits to the dealer, and I am now seeking to have the vehicle replaced with a new one with 3200 miles on the clock. I have also been bothered by a rattle in the headliner by the sunglass holder. I expected better attention to the small details by Toyota, but hopefully they will remedy the situation. I love the vehicle otherwise, I'd just like to have a new one that's without the squeaks and rattles.

Full-time 4wd, great stereo, better gas mileage than I expected, solid ride, powerful V-6.

Fix the squeaks and rattles. Toyota is supposed to be synonymous with quality. I would expect this from a GM or Ford vehicle, but not a Toyota.

2003 4Runner V8
By Buzz Mann

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

So far so good. I've had my Runner now for 7 weeks and have driven over 3,500 km's since I bought it (2,200 miles). Runs like a charm. Decent fuel economy considering its a V8 - in fact its better on gas than my previous 1999 V6 Runner. Great ride, great performance, great handling and an excellent array of safety features made this new Runner a sure winner over the competition. I shopped around and considered domestics and other foreign brands, and finally settled for another 4Runner. My insurance premiums actually came down over $200 per year versus my 1999 Runner. Toyota has done it again!

Smooth V8 muscle has a nice low grunt when pushed. Excellent pick-up and passing power. Smooth, quiet ride and comfortable interior cabin with all the right ammenities.

The placement of the power window switches on the doors is somewhat awkward to reach. I prefer a parking brake that is applied by hand near the shifter versus the foot pedal type.

GREAT TRUCK!!!
By HPOOH

2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

XREAS is great!!! Ride quality is above par, quiet and powerful V6 engine. Camry has 5-speed auto on the V6.... why not the 4runner? Gas milage is somewhat bad... i am getting about 16mpg

auto climate control, XREAS is great!!! Ride quality is above par, quite and powerful V6 engine.

5-speed automatic may help save some gas cost

4-Runner Nothing Else Will Do
By AAJoe

2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is my favorite SUV I have ever owned. (99 Tahoe, 92 K-5 Blazer, 87 Cherokee, 82 CJ7) I tested the 2003 Tahoe, Discovery, Trailblaizer & Durango and I would have paid a $5000 premium for the powertrain and handling of the 4-Runner. New for 2003 increased size and V-8 option won me over. The best of the "real" 4x4 SUV's if you dont have a large family.

Powertrain, Suspension, 4x4 system.

Auto headlights, dash mounted overhead light control, Rear seat center LATCH system & third row option.

• SUV