Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota 4runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

MY 4RUNNER
By C HILL

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

IT'S GREAT, HAVE DRIVEN 94 PATHFINDER, LAST 5 YEARS, TRIED TO BUY AN XTERRA, HAD 3 XTERRA'S IN 2 1/2 WEEKS, ALL OF THEM LEAKED FROM THE TRANSFER CASE. I GOT MY MONEY BACK, AND WENT AND BOUGHT A NEW 4 RUNNER SPORT V/6 IT IS AWESOME, MUCH NICER IN EVERY RESPECT

Favorite Features

TOO MANY TO LIST, EVERY DAY, I GET IN AND AM THRILLED (I AM IN THE CAR BUSINESS, HIGH END EXOTICS)

Suggested Improvements

MAYBE A LITTLE MORE AERO WORK TO QUIET MIRRORS AND SUNROOF

A True 4X4 SUV
By 2003HELP

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

What a blast. The best of both worlds. Great on the highway and AWESOME off the paved highway.I was tired of my Blazer and Grand Cherokee getting doors and scratches from the brush. CLADDING BABY, one of the reasons I bought it. The V-6 has torque to spare in 4 Wheel Lo. Toyota has a winner on the new motor design. MPG is fair for such a high compression engine. Using the DAC in sticky situations is UNREAL. For the money (under 30,000), nothing touches this. Dorado Gold with the Grey Cladding. This is a sophisticated monster on and off road...

Favorite Features

The 4Runners overall look , THE GREY CLADDING, 4X4, DAC, 245HP in a V-6, Electronic rear hatch lock, Rear window rolls down, Climate Control, The hidden compartment in the glove box!!! My Service techs at Hollywood Toyota

Suggested Improvements

Bring back grey cladding. Make Fog lamps an accessory. Seperate the Gas and Hood release. Choose Bose as your Stereo of choice. My wifes 2003 Altimas Standard Stereo blows the doors off the 4Runners Standard Stereo.

The Best SUV
By Oxnard

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

One of the best SUV. Very smooth to drive and lots of room at the back. Sound system is the best. Lots of power

Favorite Features

Automatic air condition control and sound system

Suggested Improvements

There was an annoying rattle noise from sunroof but it's fixable. Toyota is aware of the problem and they fixed mine right away.

The best midsize SUV
By JSac

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My fiance and I has tested many SUVs including Highlander and Pilot. Though refine & relible, both look plain and limited off-road. We love the bold look of the new 4Runner. Seats and ride are comfortable with little noise. It has 5- star side-crash rating and loaded with safety like ABS, EBD, VSC. The 4.0L V6 VVT-i cranks out 245HP & 283@3400, much more than Highlander & Pilot. 0-60 under 8 seconds is faster than most SUVs. 5000lbs towing is also great. 4Runner is great 4 off-road, with low-4, HAC and DAC. 4Runner has legendary reliability. It now shares the platform with the Lexus GX470, manufactured at Tahara plant, ranked #1 by JD Power.

Favorite Features

Macho looks, refined interior and ride. Safe & reliable, legendary reliability. Great off-road features including high clearance, transfer case with low-4 gear, Torsen differential, Descend Assist Control (DAC).

Suggested Improvements

Shorter hood, longer bed for even more cargo area. Maybe 3rd row seat so other reviewer has nothing to complain even though it's not useful. MP3 player, XM radio, OnStar would be nice, air shock at all for wheel to raise or lower depending of driving condition.

2003 4Runner V8
By Buzz Mann

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

So far so good. I've had my Runner now for 7 weeks and have driven over 3,500 km's since I bought it (2,200 miles). Runs like a charm. Decent fuel economy considering its a V8 - in fact its better on gas than my previous 1999 V6 Runner. Great ride, great performance, great handling and an excellent array of safety features made this new Runner a sure winner over the competition. I shopped around and considered domestics and other foreign brands, and finally settled for another 4Runner. My insurance premiums actually came down over $200 per year versus my 1999 Runner. Toyota has done it again!

Favorite Features

Smooth V8 muscle has a nice low grunt when pushed. Excellent pick-up and passing power. Smooth, quiet ride and comfortable interior cabin with all the right ammenities.

Suggested Improvements

The placement of the power window switches on the doors is somewhat awkward to reach. I prefer a parking brake that is applied by hand near the shifter versus the foot pedal type.