Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Most Helpful|
Great Investment
By case2003

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My AWD V8 Limited 4Runner is very stylish, powerful, and comfortable. It gets great mileage for an SUV at 19.2 mpg even with the all-wheel drive. It's my first Toyota after owning 3 Pontiac's, 1 Chevy truck, and a Dodge Ram. It is superior in quality and I feel it will be a great long term investment.

Favorite Features

DVD Navigation Electric Rear Window Moonroof The 17 inch wheels are alright but I've seen some modified 4 Runners with 18's and 20's that look sweet. I think they should offer some more modern wheel styles like GMC and Dodge is rolling out now on some of their top end models.

Suggested Improvements

It's my first SUV and I'm uncomfortable with the blind spot. I've purchased convex mirrors to correct the problem.

2003 4Runner
By 4Runner

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great SUV for anyone young and old. Great looking, great handling. Just need help on gas mileage.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, 4WD, brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Price, gas mileage.

After 7 years, still strong!
By Jason H

2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just drove 2300 miles from California to Atlanta without a hiccup! No worries on long road trip when you have a reliable Toyota with you. Oh, and this is with 97K total miles.

Favorite Features

XREAS suspension, ease of creating space (folding back seats), torque of V8.

Suggested Improvements

Lot of rattles on the '03, heard it was fixed for later years. Sport Edition rotors have to be turned pretty early or the whole rotor must be replaced.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By rufus42

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this vehicle new in 2003. It now has 120,000 miles. It has been fun and comfortable to drive. The mileage is 20 mph highway and 17-18 city. There was a rattle in the moon roof and a squeak in the left portion of the front bumper when it was new. Both were repaired under warranty. The front brakes pads and calipers were replaced at 102,000 miles. Replaced burned out brake lights and yellow front corner lights at about 100,000 miles. A dash light burned out at about 118,000. The dash light cost about $97 to replace since I had it done by my shop. Other than these relatively minor repairs, it has been just routine maintenance. I plan to keep this vehicle for another 120,000 or more.

Favorite Features

Air conditioning controls, cruise control, smooth ride, ABS, a readout of estimated mileage left until re-fueling is necessary, fog lights, roof rack (great for carrying bicycle with a Yakima rack), paint still looks like new, vehicle just look good, the trailer hitch has come in handy, the drain plugs for the front and rear differentials are great for servicing, the collant hoses are amazingly durable, the outside temperature reading is useful.

Suggested Improvements

Actual gauges for oil pressure and voltage would be nice, the rear seat belts can be a little hard to buckle for some passengers, provide a collant drain plug for the engine block that is easy to find

Blown away by a used car
By graves2014

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was a long time BMW owner. I've had at least 4 over the past two decades, but I really liked my friend's 4Runner. I couldn't afford a new one, so I looked for a used one. Not an easy task. There are just not that many for sale. I can see why. ...My 03 V8 4runner is faster than my BMW. It's still very sharp inside and out. The extra utility was such a bonus. 4 guys and our golf clubs..? No problem. It's a whole different dynamic. I love it. Even with a lot more miles than I was originally comfortable with purchasing, after taking to my mechanic. I have total confidence in it. It's just a quality SUV. I recommend one to anybody. Paddleboard next? why not

Favorite Features

Speed. Power. Looks.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage