2003 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Not bad for a Japanese car
By ToyotaGuy on 08/19/09 23:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought one of the first 2003 4Runners, SR5 with V8, before the V6 became available. Main reason for the purchase was the great powerful V8 and silky smooth ride. I still like it, but wished I had waited a couple of years and bought a used one, since the value dropped so quickly. The car is so reliable and well built, even after almost 7 years it seems like new, so I think that picking up a decent pre-owned one seems a pretty safe bet. Anyway, the 4Runner is not for tall people and it is not the most spacious SUV out there. If you have a big family, I would go for it's big brother, the Sequioa, or the Honda Pilot, if you don't need the V8 power.

After 7 years, still strong!
By Jason H on 08/14/09 23:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Just drove 2300 miles from California to Atlanta without a hiccup! No worries on long road trip when you have a reliable Toyota with you. Oh, and this is with 97K total miles.

4mazing
By Lingenfelter on 07/06/09 10:11 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a 03 4runner SR5 in 2009. It had 74,000 miles on the V6. When I first got the car I was getting about 18.3 mpg which I wasn't impressed with since my dad was getting almost the same in his sequoia. Then I put a K&N filter on it. Last fill up I got 21 mpg mostly city with a little bit of highway. Awesome vehicle besides the sulfur smell that I get sometimes when stepping on the gas.

No Complaints
By No Complaints on 06/19/09 12:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2003 4Runner SR5 V8 with 16,000 miles. It now has 105,000 miles and every mile has been a pleasure. This vehicle has only required normal maintenance. I have had no major problems or expenses. I will probably keep it until it turns 200,000 miles and still enjoy it. The V8 is silky smooth, the transmission is solid and trustworthy and this model still looks good.

2003 Toyota 4runner Limited V8 4wd
By MTS on 05/27/09 07:11 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Great vehicle. I bought it as a dealer demo with 7500 miles on it for about $6k off sticker ($36k). Only a few minor probs, the side mirrors had a weird glare and those were replaced (free warranty), few probs with actuators (free under ext warranty - doors wouldn't lock), a/c clutch relay switch replaced (125 P&L). Blower motor may need to be replaced any day (used heavily/daily). At 105k miles had water pump and timing belt replaced -preventative maintenance only. I put about 22k miles annually on this vehicle and love it. It always starts and goes. Have taken few trips to places from Bay Area to Canada (BC), San Diego, Yosemite, Vegas, Bakersfield, Arizona. Has hauled many things. Good vehicle. 17.4 avg mpg

The best suv on the planet
By Miguel Torres on 05/07/09 07:46 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had three 4Runners, 1993, 1995 and 2003. I have the last once since it was new on 2003, and right now I have 6 years with it, with 110,000 miles and still be a perfect SUV. Perfect movements, great acceleration, nice gear, excellent motor, and beautiful body interior and exterior. Few years ago, I bought a used Jaguar Xtype, and my 4Runner has more luxury than it, and the quality and reliability of this vehicle was nasty. But, my V8 4.7L,4WD LIMITED EDITION 4RUNNER is the BEST BUY I made! Perfect combination between a strong and luxurious vehicle!

My Trusty Companion
By rkymtnhgh on 03/24/09 17:58 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Nearly 6 years and 60,000 trouble free miles later, this truck is still very solid and drives like new. I take meticulous care of my vehicles and the 4Runner has certainly returned the favor. The interior has held up well and the drivetrain has been bulletproof. Unstoppable in inclement weather and supremely capable on 4WD trails. I purchased this vehicle for its off road prowess and it has never let me down. Very comfortable highway ride with decent handling and fuel economy for a truck based midsize SUV. The 4 speed automatic transmission, though smooth, could use an extra gear. (This changed with the 2005 V6 models however, as a 5 speed auto came standard).

I wish I had It Back
By happywiththetoy on 03/09/09 14:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Toyota was one of the safest on the highway. Involved in a major accident on 1/23/09. If I had been driving many other vehicles I would not be alive to write this review! Unfortunately, my Toyota was totaled, but I was not. I enjoyed just about everything about my 4Runner. I just wish I had it back. Don't know that I'll ever be able to replace it.

2003 SR5 Toyota 4Runner
By D&N 4Runner on 02/06/09 01:36 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this used in 2007 with 57,000 miles. It currently has 82,000 miles. I have had to replace the blower motor and AC relay ($500+). Also, there is a sulfur smell that happens when the rear window is down and also comes through the vents when driving. Toyota's answer is change the gas to a better grade, WHICH does not help. I bought the vehicle for its reliability factor and now looking at taking a loss and trading it in. Toyota should step up and fix this issue ASAP.

Love it!!
By tiff1884 on 01/29/09 16:54 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this vehicle. I absolutely LOVE my 4Runner. The fuel economy is great for an SUV (20 MPG in city), it is a very comfortable ride, looks good, handles great, the list goes on. The quality of the vehicle is phenomenal. I have been rear ended in my 4Runner and the car that hit me was totaled while I only had to have the hitch and bumper replaced. Both of my children were in the car and were 100% fine. I have every intention of buying a new one when the mileage on this one gets to be too high. GREAT vehicle!!