Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By abc66

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

As others have opined as well, this is the best car I have ever owned as well. At over 203,000 miles, it still runs better than some other SUVs I've owned have at 50,000. Have had no mechanical issues, and have only performed routine maintenance. The Edmunds reviewer who placed the lack of a third row seat as a con is a fool. An SUV isn't a mini-van/people mover first. It is a utility vehicle first, and cargo capacity is a higher priority than carrying over 5 people! With the rear seats folded down, which they do completely, there is a ton of storage capacity in the 4Runner. Not sure what compact SUV he was comparing to, but I've never seen one that has half as much capacity.

Storage capacity, and available interior length for storing long objects. The v8 is hands down superior to the v6 model.

Never put a third row seat in this baby! Buy a mini-van if you are hauling the soccer team or have had too many kids. A more powerful v8 would be nice, but the stock engine is sufficient.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By rufus42

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this vehicle new in 2003. It now has 120,000 miles. It has been fun and comfortable to drive. The mileage is 20 mph highway and 17-18 city. There was a rattle in the moon roof and a squeak in the left portion of the front bumper when it was new. Both were repaired under warranty. The front brakes pads and calipers were replaced at 102,000 miles. Replaced burned out brake lights and yellow front corner lights at about 100,000 miles. A dash light burned out at about 118,000. The dash light cost about $97 to replace since I had it done by my shop. Other than these relatively minor repairs, it has been just routine maintenance. I plan to keep this vehicle for another 120,000 or more.

Air conditioning controls, cruise control, smooth ride, ABS, a readout of estimated mileage left until re-fueling is necessary, fog lights, roof rack (great for carrying bicycle with a Yakima rack), paint still looks like new, vehicle just look good, the trailer hitch has come in handy, the drain plugs for the front and rear differentials are great for servicing, the collant hoses are amazingly durable, the outside temperature reading is useful.

Actual gauges for oil pressure and voltage would be nice, the rear seat belts can be a little hard to buckle for some passengers, provide a collant drain plug for the engine block that is easy to find

BAD AC unit on this year 4runner
By ballinfur

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

$3000.00 fix for parts and labor @ Toyota dealer to fix AC/Heat relay and blower related problem. Don't buy any 4runner from the late 90's to 03. Problems with AC unit, Heat, clutch relay, not cheap to fix at all. Problems are recurring too. 2004 and newer are fine. Other than those problems listed, this SUV would of been GREAT.

body and build.

3rd row seating!? highlander is much better.

What a great vehicle!
By Headshaker

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My wife and I bought the v-8 primarily as her vehicle. Wow What a great car! Great in the snow, great all- wheel drive, great tow vehicle, and great kid hauler. My son finally talked my wife into selling it to him, so we've now bought a 2011 version. I hope it is as reliable, because we loved the 2003 model!

All-wheel drive and moon roof. Power and handling. Sporty looks and pragmatic workability.

Back seat not long trip comfortable for adults.

My 03 4runner
By Corey

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 4runner in 2005, its one of the best cars I've every bought. The ride is very comfortable and smooth theirs a lot of room in the front seat same with the back seat, its very roomy. I bought the car with about 50,000 miles on it and now theirs 130,000 miles on it. I'm very happy with the gas millage, I get about 18.6 mpg. The only problems I've had was with the back window, it went down very slowly but has started working fine now, and the driver window makes a cracking noise when i put it down, also the left and right headlights have gone out three times on me since I've had it, but other then that the car runs perfectly! I hope to have this car another 130,000 miles!

My favorite features are the sunroof, large cargo area with folding shelf and the climate control.

Nothing this SUV is wonderful!