Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Great Quality Mid-size Truck
By wheatonbama

2003 Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 2003 4runner for 11 years now with 156,000 miles and only had one major mechanical problem, which was replacement of gas tank fuel lines. Other than routine maintenance and wear and tear, the truck is great. I get really good gas mileage on the highway between 23 and 25 mpg even driving 70 mph on the hwy. In some instances I can get 27 mpg just driving 55 mph on cruise control. Hope to keep it for 300k and another 10 or 11 years. Oh yeah I use synthetic oil.

By far, this is the best SUV ever built.
By spacecowgirl

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '03 4Runner with about 80k miles in 2010 after my 2000 Blazer (which gave me nothing but grief, but that's another review) was totalled in an accident. I'd always wanted a 4Runner, but had settled for less expensive alternatives. When my Blazer died, I decided that my replacement would be a 4Runner, even if it had to be older. Four years later I am so happy with my decision. It now has over 140,000 miles, and still runs like new. It hasn't seen the inside of a shop for anything other than routine maintenance. It's comfortable, spacious but not too big, and capable in the city, off road and in snow. My only regret is not buying a 4Runner sooner!

The rolldown back window is perfect for dogs. Comfortable even during long trips. Pretty well appointed. Solidly built. Great looking. But most importantly: RELIABILITY!!!

Nothing, really.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By abc66

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

As others have opined as well, this is the best car I have ever owned as well. At over 203,000 miles, it still runs better than some other SUVs I've owned have at 50,000. Have had no mechanical issues, and have only performed routine maintenance. The Edmunds reviewer who placed the lack of a third row seat as a con is a fool. An SUV isn't a mini-van/people mover first. It is a utility vehicle first, and cargo capacity is a higher priority than carrying over 5 people! With the rear seats folded down, which they do completely, there is a ton of storage capacity in the 4Runner. Not sure what compact SUV he was comparing to, but I've never seen one that has half as much capacity.

Storage capacity, and available interior length for storing long objects. The v8 is hands down superior to the v6 model.

Never put a third row seat in this baby! Buy a mini-van if you are hauling the soccer team or have had too many kids. A more powerful v8 would be nice, but the stock engine is sufficient.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By rufus42

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this vehicle new in 2003. It now has 120,000 miles. It has been fun and comfortable to drive. The mileage is 20 mph highway and 17-18 city. There was a rattle in the moon roof and a squeak in the left portion of the front bumper when it was new. Both were repaired under warranty. The front brakes pads and calipers were replaced at 102,000 miles. Replaced burned out brake lights and yellow front corner lights at about 100,000 miles. A dash light burned out at about 118,000. The dash light cost about $97 to replace since I had it done by my shop. Other than these relatively minor repairs, it has been just routine maintenance. I plan to keep this vehicle for another 120,000 or more.

Air conditioning controls, cruise control, smooth ride, ABS, a readout of estimated mileage left until re-fueling is necessary, fog lights, roof rack (great for carrying bicycle with a Yakima rack), paint still looks like new, vehicle just look good, the trailer hitch has come in handy, the drain plugs for the front and rear differentials are great for servicing, the collant hoses are amazingly durable, the outside temperature reading is useful.

Actual gauges for oil pressure and voltage would be nice, the rear seat belts can be a little hard to buckle for some passengers, provide a collant drain plug for the engine block that is easy to find

BAD AC unit on this year 4runner
By ballinfur

2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

$3000.00 fix for parts and labor @ Toyota dealer to fix AC/Heat relay and blower related problem. Don't buy any 4runner from the late 90's to 03. Problems with AC unit, Heat, clutch relay, not cheap to fix at all. Problems are recurring too. 2004 and newer are fine. Other than those problems listed, this SUV would of been GREAT.

body and build.

3rd row seating!? highlander is much better.

• SUV