Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

BEST OF THE BEST
By techman8

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've been a mechanic for almost a decade and my opinion of the 4th Generation 4runner is ..IF YOU HAVE ONE, KEEP IT. These things are incredibly well built. Toyota is know as the all-around most reliable brand amongst cars worldwide but little did I know that buying a used 4runner with 230,000 miles would of taught me a lesson in how a true SUV should be. It's rock solid body-on-frame design is top notch. I also average an awesome 19 mpg/city which is really good for a heavy SUV. It's got all the power you want and delivers a great package of both handling, style, and comfort. I'm currently at 367,000 miles worry-free.

Quick Acceleration, Off Road Capability, Safety, Very Reliable, Low Maintenance Cost, Good MPG

Sunroof's rubber seal should be thicker to avoid noise.

2003 4Runner after 6 years of ownership
By Steve

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall I've liked the truck. I have close to 100K miles now and have taken good care of it. It still looks like a new truck when I get it all cleaned up which I think is due to the quality of paint and components used. I've been disappointed by the reliability. Among those things gone wrong are: AC compressor clutch relay, Heated mirrors don't work, Lights in several areas of the dash don't work, Front brake calipers froze up. Had to be replaced Transmission or rear end has a whine that I'm afraid is the beginning of a big bill. Would I buy again? Maybe, but I would want to look at other trucks first. The harsh ride of the vehicle tends to make those sitting in the rear get car sick.

Look and feel of the truck. Layout of dash, Comfort of front seat, Towing ability, Fuel economy (for a V8 SUV), Quality of fit and finish

The original equipment tires (Dunlop) were poor. Traction was terrible in snow and not good in rain. Wear was relatively fast. I have a set of Bridgestone tires on now which are much better. Comfort in rear seat is poor. Posture is too upright. Reliability has been below expectations.

I wish I had It Back
By happywiththetoy

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Toyota was one of the safest on the highway. Involved in a major accident on 1/23/09. If I had been driving many other vehicles I would not be alive to write this review! Unfortunately, my Toyota was totaled, but I was not. I enjoyed just about everything about my 4Runner. I just wish I had it back. Don't know that I'll ever be able to replace it.

Fun to drive. Lots of leg room in front and back. In winter the heated seats were wonderful. Great sound system.

Little more road noise than expected.

Excellent!!
By lovedirt12

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My husband talked me into this car. I wanted something small. It was the best purchase I ever made! It gets good gas mileage, rides and drives like a luxury car, is perfect on long trips for everyone. Lots of space, lots of storage compartments with NO wasted space. perfect for a female cause it has lots of cubyholes. Easy to change rear seats and storage divider. Quiet, comfortable, reliable, and gadutes! What more could you want?!?

Storage, heated seats, plush seats, dual temperature controls, storage, miles per gallon indicator, miles left on tank indicator,3 trip meters, storage, easy folding rear seats, automatic rear window button on remote, lighted running boards, and STORAGE!!

Hard to find accessories for it, needs lumbar support in passenger seat, and needs driver seat settings memory.

Love my 4 Runner
By DOCINMISS

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Interior finish of Limited leaves much to be desired. Poor lighting of controls is bad also. My SUV is trouble free. One service call for a burned out light. My Michilen tires show little wear for 70 000 miles

Good handling on the road. Very comfortable ride.

Imorove interior lighting. More wood on dash would help