2003 Toyota 4Runner Limited SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

BEST OF THE BEST
By techman8

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've been a mechanic for almost a decade and my opinion of the 4th Generation 4runner is ..IF YOU HAVE ONE, KEEP IT. These things are incredibly well built. Toyota is know as the all-around most reliable brand amongst cars worldwide but little did I know that buying a used 4runner with 230,000 miles would of taught me a lesson in how a true SUV should be. It's rock solid body-on-frame design is top notch. I also average an awesome 19 mpg/city which is really good for a heavy SUV. It's got all the power you want and delivers a great package of both handling, style, and comfort. I'm currently at 367,000 miles worry-free.

Favorite Features

Quick Acceleration, Off Road Capability, Safety, Very Reliable, Low Maintenance Cost, Good MPG

Suggested Improvements

Sunroof's rubber seal should be thicker to avoid noise.

2003 4Runner after 6 years of ownership
By Steve

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Overall I've liked the truck. I have close to 100K miles now and have taken good care of it. It still looks like a new truck when I get it all cleaned up which I think is due to the quality of paint and components used. I've been disappointed by the reliability. Among those things gone wrong are: AC compressor clutch relay, Heated mirrors don't work, Lights in several areas of the dash don't work, Front brake calipers froze up. Had to be replaced Transmission or rear end has a whine that I'm afraid is the beginning of a big bill. Would I buy again? Maybe, but I would want to look at other trucks first. The harsh ride of the vehicle tends to make those sitting in the rear get car sick.

Favorite Features

Look and feel of the truck. Layout of dash, Comfort of front seat, Towing ability, Fuel economy (for a V8 SUV), Quality of fit and finish

Suggested Improvements

The original equipment tires (Dunlop) were poor. Traction was terrible in snow and not good in rain. Wear was relatively fast. I have a set of Bridgestone tires on now which are much better. Comfort in rear seat is poor. Posture is too upright. Reliability has been below expectations.

I wish I had It Back
By happywiththetoy

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Toyota was one of the safest on the highway. Involved in a major accident on 1/23/09. If I had been driving many other vehicles I would not be alive to write this review! Unfortunately, my Toyota was totaled, but I was not. I enjoyed just about everything about my 4Runner. I just wish I had it back. Don't know that I'll ever be able to replace it.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Lots of leg room in front and back. In winter the heated seats were wonderful. Great sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Little more road noise than expected.

Excellent!!
By lovedirt12

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

My husband talked me into this car. I wanted something small. It was the best purchase I ever made! It gets good gas mileage, rides and drives like a luxury car, is perfect on long trips for everyone. Lots of space, lots of storage compartments with NO wasted space. perfect for a female cause it has lots of cubyholes. Easy to change rear seats and storage divider. Quiet, comfortable, reliable, and gadutes! What more could you want?!?

Favorite Features

Storage, heated seats, plush seats, dual temperature controls, storage, miles per gallon indicator, miles left on tank indicator,3 trip meters, storage, easy folding rear seats, automatic rear window button on remote, lighted running boards, and STORAGE!!

Suggested Improvements

Hard to find accessories for it, needs lumbar support in passenger seat, and needs driver seat settings memory.

Love my 4 Runner
By DOCINMISS

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Interior finish of Limited leaves much to be desired. Poor lighting of controls is bad also. My SUV is trouble free. One service call for a burned out light. My Michilen tires show little wear for 70 000 miles

Favorite Features

Good handling on the road. Very comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Imorove interior lighting. More wood on dash would help

Love it!!!!!
By Jent1217

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I had the '02 Tacoma and upgraded to the 4Runner....I love it!!!! The comfort, the gas mileage, everything. We had traveled quite extensively in ours (over 33,000 miles and haven't had it 2 years yet) and you can't beat the comfort. I will definitely buy another one when it's time to trade in.

Favorite Features

Radio controls on the steering wheel are great and the comfort can't be beat.

Suggested Improvements

The window controls are in a bad spot. They need to be up higher, I have to move my leg and feel around for them.

So in Love
By 4Runner Lover

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine in December 2002, so I've had it almost a year. 16,000 miles later, I'm still loving it! I was waiting for the unveiling of the new design and was not disappointed. I bought the LTD because I didn't like the gray plastic moldings. I'm glad that I splurged for the LTD model. The comfort is unbeatable and the new styling won me over. This is my first Toyota and I have to say that the hype about quality and craftsmanship is indeed deserved! I'm sold on Toyotas in the future.

Favorite Features

Exterior styling, leather seats, versatility and ease of use, audio controls, audio system, the list goes on and on...

Suggested Improvements

Eliminate the plastic moldings. Besides that, I can't think of a single thing that I would change.

Flores' Review - 2003 4-Runner
By DebraFl

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

First, I fell in love with it the moment I sat in it. Our son has a 2000 4-Runner and the extra width in the front area (seats) really makes a noticable difference. The back leg and seat area are also a wonderful improvement. Our younger son is 6' tall and doesn't have a problem with his legs sitting in the front or the back, unlike many cars/SUV's he's sat in.

Favorite Features

I love it all. Probably for me though mostly is the ease of getting in and out despite having 16 back and neck fusions. I still have not problem with accesablity.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I would make is in the odometer. I have the need to ck my milage in the 10's of a mile which I'm unable to do since you can only check to within a miles distance.

BEST SUV
By Floridian

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

After test driving similar SUV's: Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer, Acura MDX, etc., the new 4runner LTD tops them all. Wind noise is minimal compare to the others SUV's. To-date, I have driven my new 2003 LTD for 3500 miles and it is the best buy for the money in the market. Had some noises coming from the engine and overhead, but were quickly corrected by the dealer. Was told this is happening with other models.

Favorite Features

Interior is great, love the dashboard and leather seats. Plenty of space in passenger row.

Suggested Improvements

Side mirrors too big, take up space in my garage. Also, audio control system in steering wheel needs relocation. It is cumbersone to turn wheels, when parking, and not touch one of the controls.

2003 4runner limited
By nedjacob

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Very smooth ride, nice sound system. A great improvement.

Favorite Features

Larger interior

Suggested Improvements

Body style could use an uplift