Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Consumer Reviews - 364 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Solid
By ABennett

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

166,000 miles and nothing has EVER gone wrong with the engine. All I have ever done is change the oil every 4,000 miles. Great car if it fits your needs.

230 thousand strong
By viper driver

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Great vehicle, the best I've owned in the past 32 years. I have the limited version. The all time 4WD (4 hi) is fantastic. Handles like a dream, have not been able to get it stuck yet (live in CA with frequent drives into OR and NV; avid skier in the Sierra Nevada's). Only issues are cosmetic; some of the backlighting behind the temperature controls has burned out, and there's a CD stuck in the CD player (with no way to get it out). Leather seats have held up well; but I'll need to have some stitching repaired on the driver's seat soon.

The Best SUV for the Money
By dcross15

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Our 4Runner was purchased with 25,000 miles in 2004. It now has 171,000 miles and has required no repairs, other then tires, belts, and brakes. It is a monster in the snow, on the beach, and is very capable off road. With the factory installed towing package it tows my lifted Jeep Cherokee with ease. The 4.7L and an amazing transmission seem to give the car more power the it needs. I enjoy the way this thing drives more then most new SUVs. It still receives many compliments and comes across as a luxury SUV. The front seats could be more comfortable, and the seating position in the front is awkward. These things hold their value extremely well, and are well worth the money.

The V8 power, the towing capacity, the off roading capabilities, and the looks inside and out. The gas millage for a V8 with almost 200,000 miles is impressive.

More comfortable front seats.

BEST OF THE BEST
By techman8

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've been a mechanic for almost a decade and my opinion of the 4th Generation 4runner is ..IF YOU HAVE ONE, KEEP IT. These things are incredibly well built. Toyota is know as the all-around most reliable brand amongst cars worldwide but little did I know that buying a used 4runner with 230,000 miles would of taught me a lesson in how a true SUV should be. It's rock solid body-on-frame design is top notch. I also average an awesome 19 mpg/city which is really good for a heavy SUV. It's got all the power you want and delivers a great package of both handling, style, and comfort. I'm currently at 367,000 miles worry-free.

Quick Acceleration, Off Road Capability, Safety, Very Reliable, Low Maintenance Cost, Good MPG

Sunroof's rubber seal should be thicker to avoid noise.

Blown away by a used car
By graves2014

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was a long time BMW owner.
I've had at least 4 over the past two decades, but I really liked my friend's 4Runner.
I couldn't afford a new one, so I looked for a used one.
Not an easy task. There are just not that many for sale.
I can see why. ...My 03 V8 4runner is faster than my BMW.
It's still very sharp inside and out.
The extra utility was such a bonus.
4 guys and our golf clubs..?
No problem.
It's a whole different dynamic.
I love it.
Even with a lot more miles than I was originally comfortable with purchasing, after taking to my mechanic.
I have total confidence in it.
It's just a quality SUV.
I recommend one to anybody.
Paddleboard next?