2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Blown away by a used car
By graves2014 on 07/16/14 16:18 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was a long time BMW owner. I've had at least 4 over the past two decades, but I really liked my friend's 4Runner. I couldn't afford a new one, so I looked for a used one. Not an easy task. There are just not that many for sale. I can see why. ...My 03 V8 4runner is faster than my BMW. It's still very sharp inside and out. The extra utility was such a bonus. 4 guys and our golf clubs..? No problem. It's a whole different dynamic. I love it. Even with a lot more miles than I was originally comfortable with purchasing, after taking to my mechanic. I have total confidence in it. It's just a quality SUV. I recommend one to anybody. Paddleboard next? why not

Great Quality Mid-size Truck
By wheatonbama on 03/08/14 10:23 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Sport Edition 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 2003 4runner for 11 years now with 156,000 miles and only had one major mechanical problem, which was replacement of gas tank fuel lines. Other than routine maintenance and wear and tear, the truck is great. I get really good gas mileage on the highway between 23 and 25 mpg even driving 70 mph on the hwy. In some instances I can get 27 mpg just driving 55 mph on cruise control. Hope to keep it for 300k and another 10 or 11 years. Oh yeah I use synthetic oil.

By far, this is the best SUV ever built.
By spacecowgirl on 01/29/14 11:40 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '03 4Runner with about 80k miles in 2010 after my 2000 Blazer (which gave me nothing but grief, but that's another review) was totalled in an accident. I'd always wanted a 4Runner, but had settled for less expensive alternatives. When my Blazer died, I decided that my replacement would be a 4Runner, even if it had to be older. Four years later I am so happy with my decision. It now has over 140,000 miles, and still runs like new. It hasn't seen the inside of a shop for anything other than routine maintenance. It's comfortable, spacious but not too big, and capable in the city, off road and in snow. My only regret is not buying a 4Runner sooner!

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By abc66 on 01/02/12 18:10 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

As others have opined as well, this is the best car I have ever owned as well. At over 203,000 miles, it still runs better than some other SUVs I've owned have at 50,000. Have had no mechanical issues, and have only performed routine maintenance. The Edmunds reviewer who placed the lack of a third row seat as a con is a fool. An SUV isn't a mini-van/people mover first. It is a utility vehicle first, and cargo capacity is a higher priority than carrying over 5 people! With the rear seats folded down, which they do completely, there is a ton of storage capacity in the 4Runner. Not sure what compact SUV he was comparing to, but I've never seen one that has half as much capacity.

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By rufus42 on 12/09/11 16:04 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this vehicle new in 2003. It now has 120,000 miles. It has been fun and comfortable to drive. The mileage is 20 mph highway and 17-18 city. There was a rattle in the moon roof and a squeak in the left portion of the front bumper when it was new. Both were repaired under warranty. The front brakes pads and calipers were replaced at 102,000 miles. Replaced burned out brake lights and yellow front corner lights at about 100,000 miles. A dash light burned out at about 118,000. The dash light cost about $97 to replace since I had it done by my shop. Other than these relatively minor repairs, it has been just routine maintenance. I plan to keep this vehicle for another 120,000 or more.

BAD AC unit on this year 4runner
By ballinfur on 08/28/11 15:04 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

$3000.00 fix for parts and labor @ Toyota dealer to fix AC/Heat relay and blower related problem. Don't buy any 4runner from the late 90's to 03. Problems with AC unit, Heat, clutch relay, not cheap to fix at all. Problems are recurring too. 2004 and newer are fine. Other than those problems listed, this SUV would of been GREAT.

What a great vehicle!
By Headshaker on 10/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

My wife and I bought the v-8 primarily as her vehicle. Wow What a great car! Great in the snow, great all- wheel drive, great tow vehicle, and great kid hauler. My son finally talked my wife into selling it to him, so we've now bought a 2011 version. I hope it is as reliable, because we loved the 2003 model!

My 03 4runner
By Corey on 04/10/10 18:50 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2003 4runner in 2005, its one of the best cars I've every bought. The ride is very comfortable and smooth theirs a lot of room in the front seat same with the back seat, its very roomy. I bought the car with about 50,000 miles on it and now theirs 130,000 miles on it. I'm very happy with the gas millage, I get about 18.6 mpg. The only problems I've had was with the back window, it went down very slowly but has started working fine now, and the driver window makes a cracking noise when i put it down, also the left and right headlights have gone out three times on me since I've had it, but other then that the car runs perfectly! I hope to have this car another 130,000 miles!

Love it!
By Jen on 12/08/09 10:01 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car w/121,000 miles on it - I use it basically for winter driving and to tow our boats, sea-doos etc. - I have a summer car - but you know what - I prefer an SUV. It now has 131,000 on it and I hope, hope, hope it lasts for 300,000 miles...!! :) V8 power is great, gas mileage, well its a v8, what can I say, but that's ok - I don't know about the snow yet, will be my first winter w/it but sure it will be just fine. - need to learn about downhill assist and vsc.

2003 SR5 4WD V6
By Ed Rooney on 11/15/09 18:13 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SUV SR5 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in 2003 to be our family truckster. While it had a rattle here and there, it was always reliable and well-mannered on the road through 125,000 miles. Pretty early on in had an ABS problem, which was quickly fixed under warranty. No problems since. Good cargo space and lots of room for rear-passengers. I could just fit 2 kids in boosters and a grandmother in the backseat. I moved up to a BMW 5-series, and less than a month later I am considering moving back to a 4runner.