Used 2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Toyota 4runner - Consumer Reviews

2003 Toyota 4Runner

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:

Not bad for a Japanese car
By ToyotaGuy

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought one of the first 2003 4Runners, SR5 with V8, before the V6 became available. Main reason for the purchase was the great powerful V8 and silky smooth ride. I still like it, but wished I had waited a couple of years and bought a used one, since the value dropped so quickly. The car is so reliable and well built, even after almost 7 years it seems like new, so I think that picking up a decent pre-owned one seems a pretty safe bet. Anyway, the 4Runner is not for tall people and it is not the most spacious SUV out there. If you have a big family, I would go for it's big brother, the Sequioa, or the Honda Pilot, if you don't need the V8 power.

Favorite Features

V8 power, quiet ride, decent fuel economy, good reliability.

Suggested Improvements

- Interior is fairly small, not good for tall people, especially with sun roof. - Sun roof is badly designed and practically useless, lots of wind noise. - Rear seats are pretty tight and there is very little space for feet under front seats. - Cargo space is tight - Toyota service is bad

No Complaints
By No Complaints

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2003 4Runner SR5 V8 with 16,000 miles. It now has 105,000 miles and every mile has been a pleasure. This vehicle has only required normal maintenance. I have had no major problems or expenses. I will probably keep it until it turns 200,000 miles and still enjoy it. The V8 is silky smooth, the transmission is solid and trustworthy and this model still looks good.

Favorite Features

Compared to a lot of expensive SUVs, I believe the interior detail and materials on my modestly priced SR5 are excellent. I am never uncomfortable even after long distance driving.

Suggested Improvements

The climate control system is a little illogical. It has a mind of its own. When simply turning on the system to get vent air, it automatically turns on the air conditioner. No big deal though.

Love it!!
By tiff1884

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this vehicle. I absolutely LOVE my 4Runner. The fuel economy is great for an SUV (20 MPG in city), it is a very comfortable ride, looks good, handles great, the list goes on. The quality of the vehicle is phenomenal. I have been rear ended in my 4Runner and the car that hit me was totaled while I only had to have the hitch and bumper replaced. Both of my children were in the car and were 100% fine. I have every intention of buying a new one when the mileage on this one gets to be too high. GREAT vehicle!!

Proud and Happy owner!!!
By mvh_888

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

ever since I got my 4runner, ive never enjoyed driving as much as i have. Its the best suv so far and its from toyota.As a 27yr old prof. female, the 4runner is my ever reliable friend day or night!

Favorite Features

Interior and exterior design, sound system (6 rockin speakers!)cool consoles and power outlet..just the right amount of space.:)

Still Love It
By JulieV

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

It has been a year and a half and my I still think I've made to right choice with the 4Runner over its competitor.

Favorite Features

Comes with cassette player as well as CD. Well designed interior. Decent gas mileage. I'm averaging 18.5 mpg in mostly city driving.

Suggested Improvements

Rear windows makes loud clunking noise when it is open without having the front ones open at the same time.