2003 Toyota 4Runner - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 4Runner model:
Not bad for a Japanese car
By ToyotaGuy on 08/19/09 23:14 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought one of the first 2003 4Runners, SR5 with V8, before the V6 became available. Main reason for the purchase was the great powerful V8 and silky smooth ride. I still like it, but wished I had waited a couple of years and bought a used one, since the value dropped so quickly. The car is so reliable and well built, even after almost 7 years it seems like new, so I think that picking up a decent pre-owned one seems a pretty safe bet. Anyway, the 4Runner is not for tall people and it is not the most spacious SUV out there. If you have a big family, I would go for it's big brother, the Sequioa, or the Honda Pilot, if you don't need the V8 power.

No Complaints
By No Complaints on 06/19/09 12:06 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 2003 4Runner SR5 V8 with 16,000 miles. It now has 105,000 miles and every mile has been a pleasure. This vehicle has only required normal maintenance. I have had no major problems or expenses. I will probably keep it until it turns 200,000 miles and still enjoy it. The V8 is silky smooth, the transmission is solid and trustworthy and this model still looks good.

Love it!!
By tiff1884 on 01/29/09 16:54 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this vehicle. I absolutely LOVE my 4Runner. The fuel economy is great for an SUV (20 MPG in city), it is a very comfortable ride, looks good, handles great, the list goes on. The quality of the vehicle is phenomenal. I have been rear ended in my 4Runner and the car that hit me was totaled while I only had to have the hitch and bumper replaced. Both of my children were in the car and were 100% fine. I have every intention of buying a new one when the mileage on this one gets to be too high. GREAT vehicle!!

Proud and Happy owner!!!
By mvh_888 on 09/29/06 16:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

ever since I got my 4runner, ive never enjoyed driving as much as i have. Its the best suv so far and its from toyota.As a 27yr old prof. female, the 4runner is my ever reliable friend day or night!

Still Love It
By JulieV on 12/03/04 17:19 PM (PST)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

It has been a year and a half and my I still think I've made to right choice with the 4Runner over its competitor.

the best 4 runner ever
By Joe125487 on 06/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

great truck, no truck in its class even comes close

Dash light and cataltic converter
By c190 on 12/03/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

So far the car handles well and performs all the basic functions for which it was purchased. The paint and appearance is good and the engine responsiveness (6 cyl.),to acceleration is very good. Major components work well.

Test Drive Thoroughly Before Buying
By touchdown on 11/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

A extraordinarily disapointing purchase given the "Toyota quality" premium inherent in the cost. My vehicle is not up to the norm, I'd not buy again. Potential buyers should test drive on all road types. There's a problem (not in all, but lots of local reports) with intermittent overhead rattles. The moonroof weatherseal doesn't lie flat in about 1 in 4 local vehicles surveyed. (New seals aren't sold, you replace with a whole new moonroof -- and gut the interior to do it -- my replacement arrived worse than the first). Bottom line: Buyer beware - search for a "good one" (they exist, but so do problems).

Driver's Seat Needs Work!
By lenripley on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

The Driver's seat makes a clunking noise anytime you enter vehicle, hit a bump, or turn sharply. Dealer says this is the way it is. I don't believe it. If it is, there is a design flaw which needs to be resolved.

Loving it!
By hemaar on 10/09/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Rwd 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven Toyotas for the last probably 10 or more years. Never had a 4runner but I can tell you. I could not have gone wrong with this one. I am loving it all the way. Very quiet ride and smooth. Yes there is a little rattle from the moon roof no big deal. Other than that I am very happy.